OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 07:25:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: In my marriage, my spouse and I are:
Not now, can't answer, the wife's chasing me with a cat o' nine tails - 0 (0%)
equal in prestige, but not in authority. In our family the husband is the head and the wife obeys him, according to the model given by St. Paul in Ephesians - 0 (0%)
The husband acts as a formal head, but in practice, joint decisions are made jointly and we each reserve personal liberties - 5 (55.6%)
Not now, can't answer, the wife's chasing me with a cat o' nine tails - 1 (11.1%)
None of these options accurately describe our relationship - 3 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharing authority with your spouse  (Read 1208 times) Average Rating: 0
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« on: September 11, 2005, 08:01:19 AM »

I am interested in how y'all live with your spouse, whether you have an equal authority relationship with your spouse or if you do it like St. Paul told the Ephesians and have the traditional hierarchical roles. Elaboration would be appreciated.

I can't participate for the simple reason that I'm not married.

NULL
donkeyhotay

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 09:57:19 PM »

I can't participate for the simple reason that I'm not married.

Lucky bastard

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 09:59:08 PM »

The husband acts as a formal head, but in practice, joint decisions are made jointly and we each reserve personal liberties
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 10:27:34 AM »

None of these options fit my husband and I. There are times we operate as a "Typical Western Couple". I work full time outside of the home as does he, therefore we do our best to split the household duties in half. There have been situtations in which I was the head of the household and vice verse. For great big purchases or serious issues affecting our relationship we sit down and make those decisions together.

Although, at the present time he seems to taking more of a lead in more situations. I must say, I'm ok with that. 

Given both of our backgrounds and our personalities,  I don't think we will ever be a true model of what is in the bible but I do see a continued trend of him taking the lead on more things.

IMHO, this is one the most misundertood passages of the Bible. I think there are some who take this passage as a license to intimidate and abuse their spouses or to "put woment in thier place" and treating them as indentured servants and baby mills  When I have witnessed this it makes me feel disgusted and sad.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 11:03:52 AM »

We exercise household monarchy more like William and Marry than, say, Henry and choose-from-one-of-the-following-six, or Henry and Eleanor, or for that matter, Victoria and Albert.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 08:46:24 AM »

A product of the 1960's living with a product of the 1970's/80's.

You figure it out.  It's a power struggle.  I don't believe in double standards, but he does.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: