Author Topic: Calvinism, Slavery, Tangents, and You!  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
Calvinism, Slavery, Tangents, and You!
« on: March 17, 2017, 01:20:00 AM »
So there's a Calvinist party in Netherlands. Which is beyond parody in itself but that i it is also advocating against womens' suffrage is awesome. Now I know to which party Cyrillic is voting for.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reformed_Political_Party
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:20:50 AM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Calvinism, Slavery, Tangents, and You!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:24:38 AM »
Political Calvinism is no joke, unfortunately, as South Africans can attest.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 12:55:45 PM »

*shrugs* Everything's been horrible at some point.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »
It's pretty recent. And then there's the Protestant (usually Presbyterian) death squads in Northern Ireland.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 04:31:51 AM »
Yes. Pretty much all religious groups have committed attrocities. But I can still laugh at a silly Dutch party.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 01:22:51 PM »

Calvinism was created as something horrible by an abhorrent and horrifying individual.  It is as much a distorted perversion of Christianity as Orcs were twisted, distorted perversions of Elves in the Tolkien mythos.  It is no surprise, therefore, that Calvinism should manifest itself in politics as something horrible, objectionable, and perverse.  How could it be otherwise?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:23:21 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 01:58:04 PM »

Calvinism was created as something horrible by an abhorrent and horrifying individual.  It is as much a distorted perversion of Christianity as Orcs were twisted, distorted perversions of Elves in the Tolkien mythos.  It is no surprise, therefore, that Calvinism should manifest itself in politics as something horrible, objectionable, and perverse.  How could it be otherwise?
Calvinists in 19th c. Northern US states were among the most strident of abolitionists. Calvinist tradition includes a strong belief in individualism viz a viz authorities. Hence once African Americans accepted Christianity and thereby received grace, Calvinist abolitionists saw them as full human beings, not as subhumans who could be legitimately kept in chains.

The Calvinist origins of the American Abolitionist movement
Jun 28, 2015

Chuck Morse is joined by Christopher Cameron, author of "To Plead Our Own Cause: African Americans in Massachusetts and the Making of the Antislavery Movement " in a discussion about the Calvinist origins and orientation of the Abolitionist movement and how Calvinism moulded the African-American church.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXcng2G6nH8

Harriet Beecher Stowe
Harriet Elisabeth Beecher Stowe was born June 14, 1811, in Litchfield, Connecticut, the seventh of nine children of Roxanna (Foote) and Rev. Dr. Lyman Beecher, a well-known Calvinist preacher. Beecher was one of the leaders of the Second Awakening, a Christian revival movement that also inspired social activism—he preached against slavery in the 1820s in response to the Missouri Compromise. ... In 1836, Harriet married widowed clergyman Calvin Ellis Stowe, a professor at her father’s theological seminary. Calvin, active in public education, was very supportive of her writing and her involvement in public affairs. In 1834, Harriet won a writing contest in the Western Monthly Magazine and began writing articles, essays, and stories for it and, over the course of her life-long writing career, other publications including The Atlantic Monthly, New York Evangelist, the Independent, and the Christian Union.  In a letter in 1853, she explained, "... as a Christian I felt the dishonor to Christianity – because as a lover of my county, I trembled at the coming day of wrath."
http://www.historynet.com/harriet-beecher-stowe

Calvinism has this major concept of "wrath". So in Battle Hymn of the Republic, there are the words "Trampling down the vineyard where the grapes of wrath are stored". The "Battle Hymn" is in the spirit and form of American Evangelical/Calvinist Reformed Protestant hymns. "Glory Glory Hallelujah!"

Encyclopedia of Antislavery and Abolition, Volume 1, edited by Peter P. Hinks, John R. McKivigan has several pages on this.
In America, early antislavery evangelicals responded powerfully to the [Calvinist] Edwadsean theology that emerged fromt he Great Awakening. ... these reformers relief heavily on Jonathan Edwards' notion of disinterested benevolence.... Once they linked slavery with sin, New Divinity preachers like Hopkins, a staunch Calvinist, demanded immediate repentence and complete emancipation. Among those employing Hopkins' interpretation of  Edwards were British antislavery evangelicals William Wilberforce and Granville Sharp.
For more, see:
https://books.google.com/books?id=d7b_trbfXugC&pg=PA321&lpg=PA321&dq=calvinists+abolitionists+slavery&source=bl&ots=t25aoyhPQy&sig=POpwmAvc9P67AghPYxRn36eSCaI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_-5OkzODSAhWj14MKHZUvCgsQ6AEIYTAN#v=onepage&q=calvinists%20abolitionists%20slavery&f=false

Conscience and Slavery: The Evangelistic Calvinist Domestic Missions, 1837–1861.

By Victor B. Howard. (Kent, Ohio: Kent State University Press, 1990.

The outline of Howard's story is familiar to scholars of antislavery and American religion. The American Home Missionary Society was one of the groups, composed largely of New England Congregationalists and New York Presbyterians and adherents farther west, that attempted to save the United States from the rising tide of barbarism it perceived outside New England and New York after the War of 1812. Central to its mission was a post-millennial vision of reform in which the Kingdom of God would dawn in the United States. To that end, Christians had to take the lead in banishing sin from the land. From the 1830s onward, two groups struggled for control of the society, one convinced that slavery was the worst of sins and thus had to be attacked as a sin while the society broke all ties with slaveholders save as sinners to be converted, the other convinced that antislavery had to be subordinated to missionary work in the South—missionary work in which Christian slaveholders would play an important role. Howard shows how the abolitionist view gradually came to prevail

Personally, I don't like Calvin or Calvinism. He was a tyrant in Switzerland and executioner, and His system is very judgmental, fatalistic, negative, and doesn't match early Christianity.

However, I have to admit that there was a faction of it that was relatively extremely progressive and redemptive at one point in history.
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 09:45:42 PM »
Calvinists in 19th c. Northern US states were among the most strident of abolitionists.

And southern Calvinists were among the most vigorous apologists for racially-based slavery and later Jim Crow, often couching their blasphemous philosophy in religious terms.

Calvinist tradition includes a strong belief in individualism viz a viz authorities.

You say that like its a good thing.  In fact, it is the perverse antithesis of authentic Christianity.  But then again, it's Calvinist, so that stands to reason.

Hence once African Americans accepted Christianity and thereby received grace, Calvinist abolitionists saw them as full human beings, not as subhumans who could be legitimately kept in chains.

How disgusting to think that someone is a subhuman until they accept your hideously perverse beliefs.

The Calvinist origins of the American Abolitionist movement...

LOL!  Funny title.  ;D An exaggeration at best.  The Mennonites were actually the first Christians to call for the abolition of slavery in the American context.  Not only that, but Quakers, Episcopalians, and Protestants of various other stripes were just as influential as Calvinists in the establishment of Christian abolitionism in the States, not to mention the mostly secular Enlightenment rationalists.

Harriet Beecher Stowe...

People of African descent had Calvinism and various other abominable heresies thrust upon them and did the best with what they had, just as they made palatable food out of the disgusting scraps foisted upon them by their masters.  Ultimately, however, both Calvinism and chitterlings are unhealthy conduits for faeces and both have proven detrimental to the health of African-Americans in the long run.  I am glad that more and more African-Americans are turning to Orthodoxy and other more traditional forms of Christianity.

Calvinism has this major concept of "wrath". So in Battle Hymn of the Republic, there are the words "Trampling down the vineyard where the grapes of wrath are stored". The "Battle Hymn" is in the spirit and form of American Evangelical/Calvinist Reformed Protestant hymns. "Glory Glory Hallelujah!"

The evil god of Calvinism is not my God.

Encyclopedia of Antislavery and Abolition...early antislavery evangelicals responded powerfully to the [Calvinist] Edwadsean theology that emerged fromt he Great Awakening...staunch Calvinist...

We've been over this.  For every one of these you name, I can name two southern Calvinist apologists for slavery.

Personally, I don't like Calvin or Calvinism. He was a tyrant in Switzerland and executioner, and His system is very judgmental, fatalistic, negative, and doesn't match early Christianity.

It was a diabolical pseudo-Christian philosophy established by evil anti-Christ indeed.

However, I have to admit that there was a faction of it that was relatively extremely progressive and redemptive at one point in history.

The same could be said of many ultimately evil philosophies.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:53:32 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 11:11:42 PM »
Antonius, do you think any OOs were enslaved and brought to the US as slaves?

Ultimately, however, both Calvinism and chitterlings are unhealthy conduits for faeces and both have proven detrimental to the health of African-Americans in the long run.
Are chitterlings pretty similar in practice to sausage linings without the meat filled in?

The evil god of Calvinism is not my God.
I sympathize with alot of what you said in your post, Antonius.
However, my question is how far should we take this? Perhaps it would be better to say that they misunderstand things like the Lord's treatment of man and man's free will, and not that this is a separate being? What do you believe is the best way to understand the Coptic Church's contrasting treatments of the Calvinist and Assyrian churches in the MECC?

It seems to me that based on this, the Coptic church considers Calvinists to worship the same God, even though I strongly sympathize with your attitude to Calvinism.

~ With respect.
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
Antonius, do you think any OOs were enslaved and brought to the US as slaves?

It doesn't seem likely, since the vast majority of the enslaved were taken from areas which, for the most part, had not been penetrated by the Orthodox Faith in Africa.  Never say never though, right?

Are chitterlings pretty similar in practice to sausage linings without the meat filled in?

Chitterlings are the small intestines of a pig.

I sympathize with alot of what you said in your post, Antonius.
However, my question is how far should we take this? Perhaps it would be better to say that they misunderstand things like the Lord's treatment of man and man's free will, and not that this is a separate being?

I believe that is open to debate and interpretation.  There are several different threads on this subject.  What I have consistently stated in all of them is that it is hypocritical to contend - as some posters on here do - that the God of Islam is another god, but the god of  the Protestant sects our God.

What do you believe is the best way to understand the Coptic Church's contrasting treatments of the Calvinist and Assyrian churches in the MECC?

There is already a thread on this too.  In it, I have stated that I believe that the Coptic Church was wrong on barring the entry of the Assyrian Church into an ecumenical body like the MECC while hypocritically countenancing the presence of Protestants.

It seems to me that based on this, the Coptic church considers Calvinists to worship the same God, even though I strongly sympathize with your attitude to Calvinism.

I don't believe that the Coptic Church has ever articulated an official stance on whether or not the god of heterodox sects is our God or not.  Let's say for the sake of argument that they did.  Do you think that this would force me to modify my stance?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 04:17:16 PM »
It doesn't seem likely, since the vast majority of the enslaved were taken from areas which, for the most part, had not been penetrated by the Orthodox Faith in Africa.  Never say never though, right?
Alexander Pushkin, the father of modern Russian literature, was in reality Black.  His grandfather was actually an African slave, Abram Petrovich Gannibal, who later became a general to “Peter the Great”.  The regional origin of Gannibal is often contested as it is often said that he was born in 1696 in the village of “Lagon” in modern-day Eritrea (a statue of Pushkin was erected in Asmara in 2009), while others claim that he was from the Logone-Birni area in Cameroon (possibly from the Kotoko kingdom or the Kanem-Bornu Empire).  Interestingly enough, Alexander himself was very proud of his African ancestry.
https://afrolegends.com/2010/03/30/alexander-pushkin-the-black-father-of-russian-literature/

Pushkin especially in the 20th c. had a status similar to the American family Bible or to Mark Twain's writings as analogies for Pushkin's status in Russian families.

Not large?
Isn't this then pretty similar to pork sausage casings/linings then, but just not stuffed with meat like sausages are, Antonius?

I believe that is open to debate and interpretation.  There are several different threads on this subject.  What I have consistently stated in all of them is that it is hypocritical to contend - as some posters on here do - that the God of Islam is another god, but the god of  the Protestant sects our God.
I understand.
Ancient Jews sometimes like Philo conceived of a Trinity God, but they didn't believe Jesus was Logos.
Let's say you have an online studies teacher who you correspond with by mail. One day you run into the teacher at the store, but you refuse to believe she is the same person and then call her an imposter. Meanwhile everyone else in the class understands that they are the same person. Would you be believing in the "same teacher"? It seems to me that the answer is Yes but that simply the teacher was not recognized.

I don't believe that the Coptic Church has ever articulated an official stance on whether or not the god of heterodox sects is our God or not.  Let's say for the sake of argument that they did.  Do you think that this would force me to modify my stance?
Interesting question.
The 17th c. EO Synod of Jerusalem was not an ecumenical council and so it couldn't have even a claim of infallibility. Yet the Synod decided that Transubstantiation was the correct teaching and it put an anathema on the Lutheran understanding of the Eucharistic change. Now in fact, there are numerous EOs, and at least one important pre-schism Pope (Gelasius) who are open to the Lutheran view or have expressed it. Would the EO Synod's decision force EOs in Jerusalem to modify their stance or at least bring them into silence about such views? I suppose the answer in practice would be Yes. In practice, any EOs in 17th c. Jerusalem openly teaching the Lutheran view would be under anathema. And if the Jerusalem Church paid enough attention to someone (eg. a bishop or outspoken theologian) doing this, they would enforce the rule.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 07:53:16 PM »
Alexander Pushkin, the father of modern Russian literature, was in reality Black....

I know who Pushkin was.  This in no way invalidates my point though.  His Grandfather entered Russia via the Turkish slave trade.  This had nothing to do with the Trans-Atlantic slave trade we were talking about, which took the vast majority of its victims from West and Central Africa, areas which had nothing to do with Oriental Orthodoxy.

Not large?
Isn't this then pretty similar to pork sausage casings/linings then, but just not stuffed with meat like sausages are, Antonius?

No, not large.  If you're really that curious about chitterlings, just Google it.  My point was, chitterlings were scraps, unhealthy cast-offs from the masters that the slaves made the best of because they had no other options.  Per Wikipedia:

At hog butchering time, the best cuts of meat were kept for the master's household and the remainder, such as fatback, snouts, ears, neck bones, feet, and intestines, were given to the slaves

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitterlings#United_States

The same is true of Calvinism and African-Americans.  I am not getting into a big back-and-forth about this peripheral point with you.  If you want to know anything else about soul food, ask someone else or Google it.

I understand.
Ancient Jews sometimes like Philo conceived of a Trinity God, but they didn't believe Jesus was Logos...

So you are saying these Jews misapprehended the Trinity.

Interesting question.
The 17th c. EO Synod of Jerusalem...

It was a rhetorical question.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 08:37:05 PM »
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 08:51:47 PM »
Alexander Pushkin, the father of modern Russian literature, was in reality Black....

I know who Pushkin was.  This in no way invalidates my point though.  His Grandfather entered Russia via the Turkish slave trade.  This had nothing to do with the Trans-Atlantic slave trade we were talking about, which took the vast majority of its victims from West and Central Africa, areas which had nothing to do with Oriental Orthodoxy.
I agree.

Wiki map of slave routes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa#/media/File:African_slave_trade.png

RE:
Were there any Ethiopian slaves in America?
I am half-black, but years ago, my black side of the family did a study to try and determine our genes and where we were from in Africa. Surprisingly it showed us to be of Ethiopian heritage physically. Throughout my life, I have been approached by Ethiopians who are 100% sure that I am a native
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090720113622AAGBcaW
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:52:39 PM by rakovsky »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
Interesting question.
The 17th c. EO Synod of Jerusalem...

It was a rhetorical question.

^Made me think of this for some reason...

;D Exactly!

I agree.

Wiki map of slave routes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa#/media/File:African_slave_trade.png

RE:
Were there any Ethiopian slaves in America?
I am half-black, but years ago, my black side of the family did a study to try and determine our genes and where we were from in Africa. Surprisingly it showed us to be of Ethiopian heritage physically. Throughout my life, I have been approached by Ethiopians who are 100% sure that I am a native
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090720113622AAGBcaW

Yeah, all the Google searches in the world for "Ethiopian slaves America" or whatever you're putting in won't change the fact that virtually no slaves brought to what is now the United States were from Ethiopia or Eritrea.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 07:15:15 PM »
Yahoo Answers? Classic!  :laugh:

From a common sense perspective, why would slave traders go the whole way around the horn of Africa to get slaves when they could just pick them up in west Africa, and why would the on land slavers haul people from the entire other side of the continent, across the Sahara desert when there were plenty of people already in west Africa to enslave? It makes no sense that any Ethiopians would have ended up in the US as a result of slavery.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:17:43 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 08:15:56 PM »

From a common sense perspective, why would slave traders go the whole way around the horn of Africa to get slaves when they could just pick them up in west Africa, and why would the on land slavers haul people from the entire other side of the continent, across the Sahara desert when there were plenty of people already in west Africa to enslave? It makes no sense that any Ethiopians would have ended up in the US as a result of slavery.
One discussion was saying that the Portuguese were trading some Ethiopians south to Madagascar. Theoretically then some of those could have been taken west as part of the continental trade.

BTW, in the movie ROOTS, one of the West African (nonEthiopian) slaves seems to be Muslim as he prays to "Allah". Then he greets an old man Salaam Alaykum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAIAvVwPEQc

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 09:43:10 PM »
One discussion was saying that the Portuguese were trading some Ethiopians south to Madagascar. Theoretically then some of those could have been taken west as part of the continental trade.

How about just acknowledging that your thesis about Oriental Orthodox slaves in America has no basis in reality rather than engaging in wild, gratuitous, and downright stupid speculation?

BTW, in the movie ROOTS, one of the West African (nonEthiopian) slaves seems to be Muslim as he prays to "Allah". Then he greets an old man Salaam Alaykum

LOL at "nonEthiopian" like that needed to be said when 100% of American slaves fit that description, wild, stupid speculation and fantasies notwithstanding.  But yeah, these guys were from the Mandinka people, most of which are Muslims.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »
But yeah, these guys were from the Mandinka people, most of which are Muslims.
Good info.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 10:11:42 PM »
But yeah, these guys were from the Mandinka people, most of which are Muslims.
Good info.

Ferris Bueller was not actually Abe Froman.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
Ferris Bueller was not actually Abe Froman.
Interesting.

Why doesn't Abe Froman show up at the restaurant or cancel his reservation?

Abe Froman didn't make the reservation; Ferris did. One reading of the film is that Ferris planned the whole day to force Cameron to face his fears and stand up to his father. By dragging him out, pushing his boundaries, and showing him that he could, in fact, let go and have fun, Ferris made Cameron realize how suffocating his parents were. That gave him the courage to lash out at the Ferrari and commit to confronting his father.

There are a couple pieces of evidence for this: 1. Ferris was singing Danke Schoen in the shower -- the song that he would later sing on the float in the Von Steuben Day Parade. Quite a coincidence. 2. Ferris was allowed on a float and managed to take the microphone and lead a song -- something that would likely require advance planning. 3. Abe Froman never shows up. Ferris goes through an elaborate maneuver to take his reservation to continue pushing Cameron out of his comfort zone. But, he's confident that Abe won't show up (and get them in real trouble) because he made the reservation himself.
https://www.quora.com/Ferris-Buellers-Day-Off-1986-movie-Why-doesnt-Abe-Froman-show-up-at-the-restaurant-or-cancel-his-reservation

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 02:54:48 AM »
The forum is getting strange.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 08:46:42 AM »

It is indeed when random posts are considered too random for random posts and end up in their own "too random for random posts" breakaway thread.  ;D
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 08:51:26 AM »
Slave trade in two minutes. The where from and the where to.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 08:55:54 AM »

It is indeed when random posts are considered too random for random posts and end up in their own "too random for random posts" breakaway thread.  ;D
Antonious,
I thought that you and I were already back on topic with the Ferris Bueller stuff. With some more discussion of Ferris, we could then move on to "the meaning of randomness".

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 10:52:18 AM »

Antonious,
I thought that you and I were already back on topic with the Ferris Bueller stuff. With some more discussion of Ferris, we could then move on to "the meaning of randomness".

Liverpool FC has the best fight song of any club in any league on any continent.  YNWA!!!!  8)
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »

Antonious,

Liverpool FC has the best fight song of any club in any league on any continent.  YNWA!!!!  8)

In the interest of time, transgressive apples mitigate a seismic camel slurp

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 11:08:51 AM »

Antonious,

You'll Never Walk Alone

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »

Antonious,

In the interest of time, transgressive apples mitigate a seismic camel slurp

One hump camels have it all over two hump camels and I'll gob in the eye of anyone says different.  Gabbagabbahey!
Now accepting brief PMs.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 12:12:57 PM »

Antonious,

You'll Never Walk Alone

Captain Caveman used to be pretty cool, but the Shmoo can kick rocks.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 12:28:02 PM »

ARE YOU CRITICIZING MY MODERATORIAL ACTION?! You wanna piece of this?!
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 12:38:30 PM »

ARE YOU CRITICIZING MY MODERATORIAL ACTION?! You wanna piece of this?!

With Wonder Woman as your avatar which makes me picture you as Wonder Woman?!?  Heck no!  I'm good, but I know my limits!  ;D

But seriously, it was never meant as a criticism, just a commentary on exactly how weird we have gotten as a forum when we're even too weird for random posts.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »
Probably does have something to do with it.
Learn meditation.

Online Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »
Probably does have something to do with it.

Love?
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
Anyone here know anything about Abraham Kuyper?  Whether you accept or reject this form of Calvinism I think Orthodox would do well to at least engage it.  It would do more good than sighing wistfully about the Fall of the Second or Third Rome or dreaming of the days of "symphonia".

• Taxiarches
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:29:28 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
Now accepting brief PMs.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 03:16:39 PM »
Anyone here know anything about Abraham Kuyper?  Whether you accept or reject this form of Calvinism I think Orthodox would do well to at least engage it.  It would do more good than sighing wistfully about the Fall of the Second or Third Rome or dreaming of the days of "symphonia".

Anyone who accepts any form of Calvinism is by definition heterodox.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 03:20:57 PM »

Anyone who accepts any form of Calvinism is by definition heterodox.

This.

and if by 'engage', one means engage in discussions with the aim of making people see a different way......then yes...by all means...
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »
and if by 'engage', one means engage in discussions with the aim of making people see a different way......then yes...by all means...

+1

And I would add, but if, by "engage", you mean adopt a stance towards interface with government informed by an alien, heterodox tradition - in this case, vile and objectionable Calvinism - then never.  We'd be better off "wistfully pining for the days of symphonia" and/or continuing to be the Church which is in the world but not of the world than doing that.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 03:52:03 PM »
Anyone here know anything about Abraham Kuyper?  Whether you accept or reject this form of Calvinism I think Orthodox would do well to at least engage it.
Adam Kuyper sounds familiar as someone who is not as Deterministic in his approach as Calvin. Is that right?

Unfortunately, the issue is not only Calvin's Determinism. Take for example the issue of the Eucharist. I am not persuaded by some Reformed Protestants' claims that early Christian writings teach that the Eucharist is symbolic or "effectively" Jesus' body but not directly, objectively having or being Jesus' body.

You would have to find instances of Calvinists who openly agree with the Orthodox on all major points, Free Will and Objective Presence in the Eucharist being two examples. Then you would want to ask why the person is still Calvinist.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 04:07:26 PM »
I think Hinterlander is simply referring to Kuyper's model of church-society relations, leaving aside the problems inherent to Calvinist theology. Is there something in there that Orthodox can learn from? Do we have our own robust answer to the same question, after our empires have disappeared?

I know very little about Kuyper myself, apart from the rather evil exemplar of his views embodied in apartheid. Whether that was a misapplication of his views or not, I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:07:35 PM by Iconodule »

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 04:21:51 PM »
Cowgazing is when you see cows on the side of the road ... (Or driving) Doesn't mean your bovine.
Learn meditation.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »
I think Hinterlander is simply referring to Kuyper's model of church-society relations, leaving aside the problems inherent to Calvinist theology. Is there something in there that Orthodox can learn from? Do we have our own robust answer to the same question, after our empires have disappeared?

I don't think Kuyper's model of church-state relations can be understood apart from the theological poison of Calvinism, and as such, it could never work for Orthodox Christians.  Calvinism undergirded everything Kuyper did or thought.  Whatever our church-state model in the modern era might be, it shouldn't be devised drawing upon Calvinist models.

I know very little about Kuyper myself, apart from the rather evil exemplar of his views embodied in apartheid. Whether that was a misapplication of his views or not, I don't know.

In all fairness to Kuyper, I think it was a misapplication.
Now accepting brief PMs.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
Cowgazing is when you see cows on the side of the road ... (Or driving) Doesn't mean your bovine.

Welcome home, WPM.  You'll feel right at home in this thread.  :)
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 10:15:48 PM »
I appreciate the measured responses to my Kuyper name dropping.

By "engage" I mean seek to understand and critique. I am not a Calvinist (although was so into 20s), but even as I've inquired deeper into Orthodoxy I still see some of Kuyper's ideas - like sphere sovereignty - as relevant.

Perhaps I'm too steeped in the reactionary Netodox types to really see where Orthodox have explored what it means to live in the modern West.  Perhaps somewhere in the St. Sergius/Parisian Russian Emigre school there is something?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:16:24 PM by Hinterlander »