Author Topic: Orthodox lectionary to Google calendar?  (Read 321 times)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
Orthodox lectionary to Google calendar?
« on: March 14, 2017, 07:22:40 AM »
Any suggestions? Preferably Gregorian variety in case there's any. Finns are a bit lonely in this regard but there might be some nerd out there who might have coded an adaptation of Julian lectionary to Gregorian calendar.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Orthodox lectionary to Google calendar?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 08:12:07 AM »
All I could find was the GOARCH daily reading app. If there is a Google calendar version anywhere, it would take better google-fu than mine.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:36:46 AM »
Use this link in Google Calendar to subscribe to the ICS of the Daily Readings / Saints Calendar:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/lclkv92j37300hlffhj2qalmbc%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

If you're viewing the Calendar, there should be a little button to the right of "Other Calendars" (where it lists your calendars), that, when clicked, offers a few options in a drop-down menu, including "Add by URL" - just paste the link above there, and you're all set.

In case someone looks for it: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/ai11fcfu5v16og1dr0rdlt7r48%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics (Polytonic Greek)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:39:43 AM by Fr. George »
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.   

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:34:15 PM »
^This is perfect. I didn't find any option for adding the url but downloading the .ics file and adding it instead did the trick. Thank you, Father!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 01:36:11 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »
Just in case it helps - I've attached a screenshot of where I found it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:33:01 PM by Fr. George »
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.   

Offline Alpha60

• Tyrannical AI Overlord
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »
Any suggestions? Preferably Gregorian variety in case there's any. Finns are a bit lonely in this regard but there might be some nerd out there who might have coded an adaptation of Julian lectionary to Gregorian calendar.

Hi Alpo.  Take a look at this collection: http://www.bombaxo.com/lectionaries.html

The Greek Orthodox lectionary is presented in such a way so as to be comprehensible with any of the three calendar schemes.  It is also interesting to compare it with the other lectionaries, for example, comparing the Old Testament lessons on Holy Saturday with those from the Roman Rite before 1955, or comparing the Easy Syriac Old Testament lessons with Jewish weekly Torah portions and corresponding haftarah from the one-hear Babylonian lectionary.   One gets the sense that all of these lectionary systems are interrelated and derive from a family of traditions dating back to the Apostles, the early bishops, the great liturgical composers like St. Cyril of Jerusalem, and the system of Torah reading established by St. Esdras the Priest.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey