OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 08:46:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Nayrouz (Coptic New Year)  (Read 3750 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: September 09, 2005, 11:07:44 PM »

On this day, Tute 1 of the Coptic calendar, we celebrate El-Nayrouz - the feast of the Martyrs - the Coptic New Year. For the first time, my Coptic Church in Sydney has gained council permission to close all four streets surrounding her, including the main road, for a short period in order that we may mark this feast with a procession on the streets around the Church, chanting whilst carrying the relics of St Athanasius the Apostolic, St Menas, St Philopateer Mercurius and other great Saints and Martyrs. May the Lord guide, bless and protect all Copts and non-Copts alike this blessed Coptic New Year, and may all the Saints and Martyrs intercede on your behalf.

Doxology for El-Nayrouz:
Audio (Coptic):

http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?s=Hymns%2FOther_Occasions%2FNayrouz_-_Coptic_New_Year%2FIbrahim_Ayad%2F04-Nayrouz_Doxology.mp3

Lyrics (English):

+

Praise the Lord with a new praise, O all people who love Christ our God, for He has visited us with his salvation, as a Good and Lover of Mankind.

We send the hymn unto You, with voices of glorification, O our Good Savior, confirm us unto the end.

Grant us O lord, Your peace, save us from the hands of our enemies, humiliate their counsel, and heal our sicknesses.

Bless the crown of the year, through your goodness, O Lord, the rivers and the springs, and the seeds and the fruits.

Bless us in our works, with Your heavenly blessing, send us from Your highest, Your grace and Your goodness.

The afflicted save them, the travelers return them, the bound loosen them, those who slept repose them.

Take away Your anger from us, deliver us from famine, and from the wiles of the demons, O Giver of good things.

We praise and glorify Him, and exalt him above all, as a Good one and Lover of man, have mercy upon according to Your great mercy.

+

Peace.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 11:08:44 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 11:38:49 PM »

The first day of Tute is usually the 11th day of September 3 times every four years (September 12th on a leap year).

On this day our "ethnic" (Coptic) fruit would be the RED date.ÂÂ  A spiritual symbolism that was given to the date, which grows during this time of the year was a commemoration of its outer color as a symbol of the blood of the martyrs, the inner juicy "whiteness" as the purity of the faithful, and the hard seed as the hard rock of our faith that is never shaken, never changed, always Orthodox.

On this day also, we commemorate St. Peter Ieromartyros (the seal of the martyrs) who was the 18th Pope of Alexandria, the first to excommunicate Arius, and the last one who was martyred under the emperor Diocletian.  It was after his martyrdom where we as Copts made the year "0".  So it was 1722 years ago when St. Peter died.ÂÂ  You may read a lengthy story of his life here:

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/synexarion/peter-sealofmart.html

May his prayers and the prayers of all martyrs and confessors of the faith be with us all.ÂÂ  Amen!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 11:41:12 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 04:01:37 PM »

Oh man, that means yesterday was New Year's Eve...no kiss for me.  Tongue

Happy new year, friends. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 04:14:56 PM »

Today's New Year Eve...you still got a chance Kiss

(j/k  Tongue had to say it...lol)

God bless.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 04:15:18 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 04:54:43 PM »

Kolli sana wa entom tayebeen! (rough translation: Happy New Year!  Grin)

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 01:43:10 AM »

Wenta Tayeb!

Last night was my first time to attend the Nayrouz procession, it was such a great atmosphere. Highlights of the night for me:

1)   Walking amidst the crowd surrounding His Grace Bishop Daniel and 10-15 priests, each carrying a tube of relics of the Saints and Martyrs, on the streets of Bexley Sydney, whilst the deacons chant the hymn “My Coptic Church” through the sound system set up in the leading patrol car.
2)   Watching the Greek Orthodox representative (he was either a priest or a Bishop — I can’t tell) nearly lose his hat when a Coptic lady performed a zaghrata (the loudest one I’ve ever heard in my life) right next to him lol — for those of you who do not know what a zaghrata is, it’s a high pitched noise made by Egyptian women at any and every celebration — it’s just a cultural “thing”.

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 02:43:29 AM »

Watching the Greek Orthodox representative (he was either a priest or a Bishop — I can’t tell) nearly lose his hat when a Coptic lady performed a zaghrata (the loudest one I’ve ever heard in my life) right next to him lol — for those of you who do not know what a zaghrata is, it’s a high pitched noise made by Egyptian women at any and every celebration — it’s just a cultural “thing”.

That can't be good for ecumenical relations between us.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 06:32:58 PM »

lol...

Don't Greek ladies do the same thing?  It's the high pitched sound made with the tongue going left and right real fast.

God bless.

Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 09:33:31 PM »

lol...

Don't Greek ladies do the same thing?ÂÂ  It's the high pitched sound made with the tongue going left and right real fast.

God bless.

Hey Minasoliman. Something similar (but not at the same magnitude or length) is done during dancing or in weddings AFTER the ceremony NOT during! lol Smiley Sometimes its basically a high shrill ending with a "yee-hoo".
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 12:34:04 PM »

A photo of last years procession (since i'm unable to get hold of this years' photos - not that there would be any significant difference):
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 12:34:49 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 02:55:41 PM »

You should have took a picture of the Greek clergy who jumped from the women's saghareet...lol

btw...Yesterday was St. Dioscorus day guys Wink

God bless.

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 10:08:24 PM »

btw...Yesterday was St. Dioscorus day guys

I know; I shall type up my own brief Synaxarium for him and post it in a new thread later today maybe.

Peace.

Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 06:42:58 PM »

Interesting...If I recall correctly,  on the Persian calendar (both Zoroastrian and Shiite Islamic), the New Year celebration is called Nawruz.

Perhaps the two have a common linguistic origin?
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 08:36:51 PM »

The word Nayrouz is of Persian origin, not Coptic.

And it means "new year".
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 02:54:36 AM »

Interesting...If I recall correctly,  on the Persian calendar (both Zoroastrian and Shiite Islamic), the New Year celebration is called Nawruz.

Does anyone know?

Thread resurrection!

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »

Does anyone know?

Thread resurrection!

According to Wikipedia at least, it seems to be a conflation of the Old Coptic New Year called Ni-Yarouou and the Persian New Year festival of Nowruz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayrouz
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 11:31:39 AM »

I am inclined to see it as from the Turkish period in Egypt-the Turks coming with the Persian Solar calendar, but adapted to the Coptic solar calendar.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Nayrouz Coptic Orthodox Church New Year calendar St. Dioscoros Zoroastrianism OO calendars 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: