Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Velko

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
Greetings
« on: March 01, 2017, 01:46:45 PM »
I wasn't sure where was the best thread to launch my introductory post so moderators please feel free to move this wherever you like.

My purpose here is to engage with other Orthodox Christians, to take part in discussion as well as for myself at least, to pose questions.

To provide a quick rundown of myself; I am a simple layman who was born into the Orthodox Church. In my youth I experimented with different forms of spiritualism while drifting away from my Christian roots. What brought me back was Christian orthodox mysticism, something that was never taught to me before, ever. I feel while growing up in the Church, the faith itself wasn't taught correctly, almost as if my "teachers" would just assume we would/should all follow. For lack of a better description, I felt as if I was expected to blindly follow without really understanding what I'm following. Being a critical thinker myself and one who seeks to understand everything I set my mind to begin a "journey" of my own, experimenting with meditation and the occult in general. This was a dark time, in actuality I became a nihilist. I "believed" in everything yet nothing. I questioned the authenticity of the Bible and like many "new-agers" saw Far-east religions as somewhat appealing. I never doubted the existence of Christ as a being, just the story itself and His significance. Being in this dark place I continued to search, in fact I never stopped looking even if I was temporarily stuck on a certain teaching, eventually I did an entire circle back to my roots. This happened ONLY because I began researching Christian Orthodoxy as a complete foreigner (even though I was born into it and knew our Traditions from a very young age), I read the history for the FIRST time (from a non-theological perspective) and most importantly I read about our mysticism. What I once thought to be only unique to eastern-religions and fringe occultists, was clear as day a deep part of Christian Orthodox Tradition. When I use the term "mysticism" I guess the translation would be "Our mysteries". This is what awoke me, and brought me back to my home. I've searched and searched, drifted so far away from my roots, seeking truth and understanding only to realize that our Church Fathers have always had the answers. It was a truly beautiful realization.

Offline Velko

Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 02:05:54 PM »
I have been browsing this site for some time when seeking a certain perspective on a certain issue and I must say I am impressed. There is great content here, many great posters and brilliant insights. But, being a forum it's a little bit like anarchy, you'll find a bit of everything lol.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 02:17:08 PM »
I have been browsing this site for some time when seeking a certain perspective on a certain issue and I must say I am impressed. There is great content here, many great posters and brilliant insights. But, being a forum it's a little bit like anarchy, you'll find a bit of everything lol.

Ain't that the truth. 

Welcome!  :)
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:49:26 PM »
Welcome, and great testimony

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
Don't know what you got till (a good while after) it's gone, and all that. ;) Welcome aboard!
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »
Death to the world dodos.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 07:44:44 PM »
Once the ex-OCnetter Fabio Leite said something like: there's more mysticism in an old lady piously cleaning the parish's bathroom than in any Guénon reader.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:45:04 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 08:10:03 PM »
Salutations!

Offline Velko

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 12:48:59 AM »
Thank you all.

Once the ex-OCnetter Fabio Leite said something like: there's more mysticism in an old lady piously cleaning the parish's bathroom than in any Guénon reader.

Not sure how to understand that quote, maybe it's because I've enjoyed Guénon  ;D

Offline Velko

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 12:50:01 AM »
Don't know what you got till (a good while after) it's gone, and all that. ;) Welcome aboard!

Absolutely. Sometimes we need to step out of our home to really understand and appreciate what we have.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 01:08:46 PM »
Not sure how to understand that quote, maybe it's because I've enjoyed Guénon  ;D
He's interesting  ;)  but he won't lead you through a mystical experience like pious life in Orthodoxy will.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 01:26:37 PM »

You should start a thread with these entitled Apophthegmata Fabium.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »
What's the most pious way to clean a parish bathroom? Asking for a friend.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 01:30:18 PM »

It depends.  For example, are you doing it on a day when you sing "God is the Lord" at Matins, or "Alleluia"? 

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »

It depends.  For example, are you doing it on a day when you sing "God is the Lord" at Matins, or "Alleluia"? 

Parish bathrooms should not need cleaning, because parishes should not have bathrooms.

Needing to use the facilities during the services is being ruled by the passions. It is thrice as sinful to do so during the Lenten seasons.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »
AFAIK, it's only licit to poop on weekends during Lent.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 05:54:28 PM »
Welcome.  Since you were born in the Orthodox, have you already been baptized and chrismated?

Offline Velko

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 07:30:45 PM »
Welcome.  Since you were born in the Orthodox, have you already been baptized and chrismated?

Yes I was baptized as a baby.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 11:25:42 PM »
I likewise was in a state of nihilism, egoism and postmodernism; Marxism, materialism and positivism when I apostasized. So, I can relate slightly. But what changed my mind apparently wasn't the same thing which changed yours it seems. I'm curious to know what exactly changed your mind, what writings, phenomenon etc. if you're not comfortable sharing here, you can always PM. Specifically, "I've searched and searched, drifted so far away from my roots, seeking truth and understanding only to realize that our Church Fathers have always had the answers. It was a truly beautiful realization." What insight did you glean from the Fathers?

I basically rejected those ideas because I realized that Nietzsche and Kierkegaard could be right, and that positivism could be wrong. I basically rejected Orthodoxy as a positivist, then as I realized the problems with positivism I sort of drifted into nihilism and postmodern ideas, then I realized the problem with all three of those. There are basically no ethical, metaphysical or epistemic foundations for those ideas. So, I thought I'd become Orthodox again. I have more faith in the Church than I do in my own reason to understand reality. I also attempted to import mysticism into my worldview, but to no avail. Buddhism is ultimately just as nihilistic a worldview as the one I held, so it didn't help.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:31:03 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Velko

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 12:02:12 AM »
I likewise was in a state of nihilism, egoism and postmodernism; Marxism, materialism and positivism when I apostasized. So, I can relate slightly. But what changed my mind apparently wasn't the same thing which changed yours it seems. I'm curious to know what exactly changed your mind, what writings, phenomenon etc. if you're not comfortable sharing here, you can always PM. Specifically, "I've searched and searched, drifted so far away from my roots, seeking truth and understanding only to realize that our Church Fathers have always had the answers. It was a truly beautiful realization." What insight did you glean from the Fathers?

I basically rejected those ideas because I realized that Nietzsche and Kierkegaard could be right, and that positivism could be wrong. I basically rejected Orthodoxy as a positivist, then as I realized the problems with positivism I sort of drifted into nihilism and postmodern ideas, then I realized the problem with all three of those. There are basically no ethical, metaphysical or epistemic foundations for those ideas. So, I thought I'd become Orthodox again. I have more faith in the Church than I do in my own reason to understand reality. I also attempted to import mysticism into my worldview, but to no avail. Buddhism is ultimately just as nihilistic a worldview as the one I held, so it didn't help.

It would be very hard for me to be specific, but as I said looking back I feel the Church teachings weren't properly relayed to me, this may be something that is constant across the board or perhaps just my experience. I initially didn't understand the practicality of Orthodoxy aside from following/mimicking what others were doing. I pretty much studied everything all over again, from the meaning behind our icons to the endless depth and power behind the Jesus Prayer. I did specific research to feed my personal inclination to always want to understand everything from a complete neutral point of view. I felt a change in me, the Lord's presence was real. I was given signs in the present moment but not only that, I started to remember my past and remember specific times when Lord gave me signs then and I was too ignorant or maybe even arrogant to acknowledge them. God is truly great, I was denying the truth within myself but He kept knocking.

Buddhism cannot help, I was there as well, and neither can any sort of meditation or occult teachings. Jesus Christ is the core and without Him it IS nihilism. We are not "gods" so to whom are we meditating? It's emptiness in another realm. 

Offline Velko

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 12:11:35 AM »
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:13:38 AM by Velko »

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 01:24:32 AM »

Yes I was baptized as a baby.
Excellent!  Welcome Back!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 12:14:56 AM »
Welcome.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"