Author Topic: Jesus Prayer as substitute for the Hours?  (Read 15836 times)

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Jesus Prayer as substitute for the Hours?
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
Almost every single Orthodox person I know IRL wears a prayer rope most of the time. I wouldn't even know that some priests are really against them if not for OC.net.

My mother wears a sort of small prayer rope that goes around the wrist.  I usually do not wear one, and I use them only occasionally.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
Re: Jesus Prayer as substitute for the Hours?
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2017, 07:11:30 PM »
Among some Orthodox monastics (and occasionally other faithful), the canonical hours and preparation for Holy Communion may be replaced by praying the Jesus Prayer a specified number of times dependent on the service being replaced. In this way prayers can still be said even if the service books are for some reason unavailable or the person is not literate or otherwise unable to recite the service; the prayer rope becomes a very practical tool in such cases, simply for keeping count of the prayers said. However, among some monastics - hesychasts, for example - this replacement is the norm.
One scheme for replacing the Divine Services with the Jesus Prayer is as follows:[5][6]
Instead of the entire Psalter: 6000 Jesus Prayers
One kathisma of the Psalter: 300 prayers (100 for each stasis)
Midnight Office: 600
Matins: 1500
The Hours without the Inter-Hours: 1000;
The Hours with the Inter-Hours: 1500
Vespers: 600
Great Compline: 700
Small Compline: 400
A Canon or Akathist to the Most Holy Theotokos (Mother of God): 500
Over the centuries, various cell rules[7] have developed to help the individual in the daily use of the prayer rope. However, there is no single, standardized method in use universally throughout the Church. There may be prostrations after each prayer or after a certain number of prayers, depending upon the particular rule being followed.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_rope