OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:53:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Psychotherapy / Hierotheos Vlachos  (Read 2046 times) Average Rating: 0
arjuna3110

« on: September 09, 2005, 06:47:52 AM »

Hi !

I just got done reading Hierotheos Vlachos' "The Illness and Cure of the Soul in Orthodox Tradition."  It was superb, mind-opening book and exactly what I needed to read. 

And, I want more.  According to the introduction, "The Illness and Cure of the Soul in the Orthodox Tradition" was the distillation of his teachings from his previous books:  "Orthodox Psychotherapy," "Therapeutic Treatment" and "Conversations about Orthodox Psychothereapy."  There is also a book of his called "Orthodox Spirituality."

I have found some of these offered in English translation through http://www.pelagia.org/htm/index.htm, and I have read through some of the materials.  Yet, I do not know which book to read next (or if I even need to read any more of them).   

I want to read more about the particulars of theosis, and I want the cites to the Fathers.  "Orthodox Pyschotherapy" seems to meet those criteria, but I don't know. 

Hence, my first question:  If you have first-hand experience with the books of Hierotheos Vlachos, which of his books (in English) discusses theosis in reasonably thorough detail and with patristic citations?

Also, is there a book (by any author or another) which discusses the practicalities of praxis (keeping the commandments, fasts, how to set up an icon corner, how to pray, etc.) that you can recommend?

Thank you.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 10:35:12 PM »

Most of everything found in the other books of that series are repetition of what you have already read.  I would actually recomend another one of Metr. Hierotheos' books, A Night in the Desert of the Holy Mountain.  That gives a good insight into starting the practice of the prayer and purifying the heart. 
iustinos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 02:56:17 PM »

The full "Orthodox Psychotherapy" is probably a little more extensive.  I too heartily recommend "A Night in The Desert of the Holy Mountain."  Two others by Met. Hierotheos that I like are "The Mind of the Orthodox Church" and his new one of the catechism of adults, the name of which I can't recall off the top of my head.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:12:44 PM »

I noticed that the publisher of these books has the title on the spine oriented opposite the manner American publishers print books.  I also wonder how well these books hold up over time. 
Velsigne
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:53:53 PM »

They come from a monastery in Greece, so they are imported books.

They are much better quality than an American trade paperback, like, say, a Penguin book.  They are made with much heavier paper that hasn't yellowed yet.  Don't know if it is acid-free paper and I don't see any comments in the book.  The paper is even heavier than that used for current-day American hardbound books, but they are soft bound, so they are not library quality for heavy use.   The binding is tight with beveled edges parallel to the spine so the cover will fold back and relieve the stress on it.  So far the glue is holding.  

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:03:33 AM by Velsigne » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: