Author Topic: An example of the current state of traditional Catholicism  (Read 2714 times)

Offline PJ26

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Russian - is there another one? ;)
An example of the current state of traditional Catholicism
« on: January 29, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »
I'm a former traditional Catholic now Orthodox.  I still look at some of their websites.  I feel very sorry for them.  It's painful to see the state which Francis' pontificate has led them, but it's like a train wreck, and I can't turn away.

I saw the following on the website Vox Cantoris today:

"This is Fatima coming to life right before us. 

1. Bergoglio will call a Council, it will be an evil Council because the intent will be to enshrine sacrilege, change doctrine, unite with protestantism and create ecumenical worship.
2. God, in His vengeance, will not tolerate it and will, in His permissive will, permit a massive terrorist attack to take place by Mohammedans.
3. St. Peter's Basilica, where most of the bishops and cardinals (not all, some will not attend because they know it will be a corrupt council) will be destroyed and most there will be killed, including the Pope Francis.
4. Then, a "Bishop in white" will emerge and crawl over their dead bodies and up to the high altar where he will then be killed. That "Bishop in white" (note the Fatima seers did not say the Pope, even though they presumed him to be), is Joseph Ratzinger
5. The few surviving Cardinals will flea (sic) to Portugal, to Fatima where the "dogma of faith" will be preserved.
6. They will elect the Holy Pope who will then, with the remaining bishops and cardinals of the world, Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. 
7. Russia will come to the literal physical aid of Europe, the Orthodox Church will reunite with eternal Rome under Peter and this Holy Pope will "restore all things in Christ."
8. And a period of peace will be granted to the world, until we mess it up again.
9. And then the end will come.

God help us."

http://voxcantor.blogspot.com/2017/01/and-you-think-its-mess-now-wait-until.html

Wow.  So, it's either this or Orthodoxy and you choose this?  I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  I pray the author and his readers find Orthodoxy soon.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
Re: An example of the current state of traditional Catholicism
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:55:01 PM »
Wow.  That's really sad.  Too sad to even make fun of.  :'(
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 08:01:15 AM »
There has been always such (I mean the style) predictions/prophecies among Roman Catholics.

And Orthodox zealots have their own, e.g about the 8th 'devil' ecumenical council because there are only 7 Sacraments, so 7 councils, and that most of the true bishops will be martyred, that the last Pascha on the Earth will be celebrated on not correct date because of the compromism agreed by Orthodox etc. However, I see Western influence on (mainly Russian) Orthodoxy in such statements.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline PJ26

• Jurisdiction: Russian - is there another one? ;)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »
Yes, of course.  All religions have their apocalyptic beliefs and members who take them more seriously than others.  I just posted the above as an example of the serious meltdown which is now beginning to take place amongst traditional Catholics that this current pontificate has specifically induced.  Traditional Catholics are great people who, I think it's fair to say on average, know, love, and respect their faith far more than their current Novus Ordo counterparts.  However, their inability or unwillingness to question their core beliefs is leading to these types of irrational conclusions and it saddens me greatly.  Orthodoxy could rescue them as it did me.  I hope they find their way to it, but it clearly won't be easy.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:25:34 AM »
I understand where they are coming from.  They simply want their church to be their church, and not to chase the Protestants around the schoolyard in the hopes of "keeping them in the pews" at all costs, compromising their orthodoxy and the integrity of their faith in the process.  The Banished Heart by Geoffrey Hull is one of the most illuminating books I've read in recent years.  The Coptic Church could learn some lessons from what happened to Rome.  If the Coptic Church ever ends up officially endorsing and/or legitimizing the heteropraxis and Protestantized faith promoted by certain prominent Coptic "mission priests" (CCM in the Liturgy, etc.), then we might end up seeing a "Traditional Coptic Church" or at least an exodus of people like me from the Coptic Church.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 02:31:08 PM »
The guy who wrote this is without doubts extremely stressed.

I understand where they are coming from.  They simply want their church to be their church, and not to chase the Protestants around the schoolyard in the hopes of "keeping them in the pews" at all costs, compromising their orthodoxy and the integrity of their faith in the process.  The Banished Heart by Geoffrey Hull is one of the most illuminating books I've read in recent years.  The Coptic Church could learn some lessons from what happened to Rome.  If the Coptic Church ever ends up officially endorsing and/or legitimizing the heteropraxis and Protestantized faith promoted by certain prominent Coptic "mission priests" (CCM in the Liturgy, etc.), then we might end up seeing a "Traditional Coptic Church" or at least an exodus of people like me from the Coptic Church.
Do you think there are people who'd be up to this? Is the situation in Egypt similar?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:31:32 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »
Wow.  That's really sad.  Too sad to even make fun of.  :'(

I actually find the earnest desire for reunification with the Orthodox sweet, in a sense.  They just need to understand how visions like these are Prelest and how the Roman bishop historically functioned and should function in the Church.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »

Stressed, but not worried.  The gates of hell will not prevail against Christ's Church, and I am confident in the victory of Orthodoxy over heterodoxy within the Body of Christ.  The question is, how many people - particularly youth - will be lost in the process?  Another question is, how long will the Church fail to put a stop to heteropraxis in the diasporic territories without an enthroned bishop?

Do you think there are people who'd be up to this?

I think the exodus scenario is more likely.  There are already many people - some of them former posters on these boards - who have left for other Orthodox jurisdictions over this issue.  Speaking for myself alone, I could not remain in a church that gave heteropraxy official sanction.  God willing, it won't come to that.

Is the situation in Egypt similar?

Heterodox influence is unfortunately felt in Egypt, going back to the Protestant "missions" to the Copts of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.  That said, the Holy Synod seems to take action there that thus far has not been taken in the problematic areas of the territories without an enthroned bishop in the "Lands of Immigration".

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/bishop-abanoub-takes-stand-orthodoxy-muqattam/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:00:43 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 05:04:11 PM »

Stressed, but not worried.  The gates of hell will not prevail against Christ's Church, and I am confident in the victory of Orthodoxy over heterodoxy within the Body of Christ.  The question is, how many people - particularly youth - will be lost in the process?  Another question is, how long will the Church fail to put a stop to heteropraxis in the diasporic territories without an enthroned bishop?
I was talking about the OP's blogspot prophet.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 07:34:43 PM »

I think this kind of thing is painful and stressful no matter where it is taking place.  I understand the pain of the OP, and pray things won't get that far in my Church.  Lord, have mercy.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:38:47 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 09:15:12 PM »
Yes, of course.  All religions have their apocalyptic beliefs and members who take them more seriously than others.

For example, in the Episcopal apocalypse, Donald Trump gets elected president.  8)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 09:35:45 PM »

I think this kind of thing is painful and stressful no matter where it is taking place.  I understand the pain of the OP, and pray things won't get that far in my Church.  Lord, have mercy.
Sure, I sympathise a lot with Traditional Catholics (although the opposite is rarely true), but what I was trying to imply is that stress is making him a bit... incoherent, let's use this word.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 10:01:15 PM »

Sure, I sympathise a lot with Traditional Catholics (although the opposite is rarely true), but what I was trying to imply is that stress is making him a bit... incoherent, let's use this word.

I understand and agree.

Traditional Catholicism is a reaction to something that never should've existed in the fist place.  There should never have been such a thing as guitar masses, clown masses, Satanic Charismatic Catholicism, etc., for them to react to.  And there should not be a "New Age Orthodox" movement which looks to Rick Warren and Hillsong as role models in the Coptic Church.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 11:23:28 PM »
Yes, of course.  All religions have their apocalyptic beliefs and members who take them more seriously than others.

For example, in the Episcopal apocalypse, Donald Trump gets elected president.  8)
ACK! Then what?
Or does every parish have a different version because "Broad Church" won?  ;)

Sorry...Back to the original topic: I'm disappointed there's no Three Days of Darkness included. Even though now I'll be wiped out by demons as a heretic and schismatic once the Blessed Virgin Mary gets tired of holding Jesus back, instead of having my blessed beeswax candles miraculously lit so that I can survive the three days begging the Lord for mercy :P
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 11:48:49 AM »
It is just not fair to copy some weird stuff from an arbitrary website
and then give this the title of "example of current state of traditional Catholicism".
This implies the aforementioned statements are in any way representative of
"traditional Catholicism" (I hate the pleonasm - as if Catholicism could continue to exist for any continued time outside tradition),
which is obviously not true. In any sufficiently large group, you will find lunatics.
This is all that is proven here.
There are a lot of Catholics holding tradition in high esteem which are perfectly unaffected
by any kind of millenialism, believing in weird prophecies, private revelations of doubtful origin and the like.
This is the larger group by far and it is growing - just consider the many large families and the overall
low age mean in an average sunday mass.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:49:33 AM by Lepanto »
una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro et Antistite nostro et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 07:16:58 PM »

Oh, no, it's the end of the world!!!!!!   :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 08:25:26 PM »
and then give this the title of "example of current state of traditional Catholicism".
"traditional Catholicism" (I hate the pleonasm - as if Catholicism could continue to exist for any continued time outside tradition),
which is obviously not true. In any sufficiently large group, you will find lunatics.
There are a lot of Catholics holding tradition in high esteem which are perfectly unaffected
by any kind of millenialism, believing in weird prophecies, private revelations of doubtful origin and the like.
This is the larger group by far and it is growing - just consider the many large families and the overall

I am Orthodox but I tend to agree with the writing of the Catholic poster above.  I don't think the OP quotes are representative of Catholic laity. 

I just read this article recently:  "Pope Francis and the convert problem"   by Austen Ivereigh
August 9, 2017.
https://cruxnow.com/commentary/2017/08/09/pope-francis-convert-problem/

Some of the problems with extemism  can be found in converts too:

"... At first he welcomed Francis’s election. But then came a series of realizations.
He had now come to see that Francis was building his program of reform “at the expense of children orphaned by the culture of divorce left by the 1960s,” attempting to restore a “discredited version of Catholicism,” and who “builds his popularity by shucking off traditions and formulas of the office” of pope. Oh and introducing the antinomian, Protestant notion that truth and mercy are counter to the law." 

And this is the conculusion to the article:

Then there is the neurosis of the convert escaping the shifting sands of relativism, who projects onto the Church the idea of something fixed and distant and unchangeable, frozen at some point prior to the Council. This makes them susceptible to the traditionalist Catholic horror not just of the Council’s reforms, but of the very idea of change, as if this could be avoided.
Yet the Church’s tradition has always been made up of the new things brought by the Holy Spirit revealing “new aspects of Revelation,” as Evangelii Gaudium puts it. Francis approaches the past as all popes must do, with discernment, preserving what must be protected, and removing what has become an obstacle to evangelization.
The Church has always required perpetual conversion in order to recover what has been lost - the centrality of Christ, the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and closeness to the concrete lives of ordinary people. Catholics trust the pope to discern what needs to change.

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 08:38:33 PM »
Many of the people who are against Pope Francis does believe in conspiracy theory and freemasons conspiracy and stuff like that, you still find this believing in the people who did convert.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
Many of the people who are against Pope Francis does believe in conspiracy theory and freemasons conspiracy and stuff like that, you still find this believing in the people who did convert.

Let's just hope they move onto their next  church of choice quickly.

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 05:44:12 PM »

+1.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 09:42:54 PM »
Dead in the water. Modernism won, traditionalism is dead.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »

Nope.

If I say I'm a traditionalist, some, maybe many, think I believe something like what was quoted earlier in this thread, that my faith centers on conspiracy theories blaming Jews and Masons, maybe Francis isn't really Pope, I'm into chasing apparitions, etc.

Nope.

It's about the gospel, the creed, and the rest of our doctrine, which even a Pope can't change. So weird "Pope Juan Perón" as I call him doesn't faze me.

I'm standing on the rock, the foundation of Christ and the apostles. My usual Tridentine Mass, my part-time Byzantine Liturgy, and even Benedict XVI's improved English Mass in most parishes reflect that.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 10:43:38 PM »

Nope.

If I say I'm a traditionalist, some, maybe many, think I believe something like what was quoted earlier in this thread, that my faith centers on conspiracy theories blaming Jews and Masons, maybe Francis isn't really Pope, I'm into chasing apparitions, etc.

Nope.

It's about the gospel, the creed, and the rest of our doctrine, which even a Pope can't change. So weird "Pope Juan Perón" as I call him doesn't faze me.

I'm standing on the rock, the foundation of Christ and the apostles. My usual Tridentine Mass, my part-time Byzantine Liturgy, and even Benedict XVI's improved English Mass in most parishes reflect that.

The Pope isn't jiving with trads. He's basically waging war on them now.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 10:51:28 PM »
Yet there's also a rumor that this anti-trad Pope is about to regularize the Society of St. Pius X (Archbishop Lefebvre's uncanonical religious order), as unlikely as that sounds, making it a personal prelature like Opus Dei, but even with its own bishops much like it is now. Bait and switch? Maybe.

High-church libertarian
Blog

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 11:27:02 PM »
Yet there's also a rumor that this anti-trad Pope is about to regularize the Society of St. Pius X (Archbishop Lefebvre's uncanonical religious order), as unlikely as that sounds, making it a personal prelature like Opus Dei, but even with its own bishops much like it is now. Bait and switch? Maybe.

Yeah, I know he's trying, but why would SSPX accept him at this point, when he's openly hostile to their positions and traditions?

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 01:14:45 AM »

Yeah, I know he's trying, but why would SSPX accept him at this point, when he's openly hostile to their positions and traditions?
There are people under the pope celebrating Gregory Palamas, Dioscorus and Nestorius as saints. Do you even ask?

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 05:05:58 AM »

I know. It's weird. Maybe the SSPX can distinguish between doctrine about the Pope and the man holding the office. They have never in principle been a separate church; they belong truly under the Pope.

There are people under the pope celebrating Gregory Palamas, Dioscorus and Nestorius as saints. Do you even ask?

Interesting point. We give post-schism Orthodox saints the benefit of the doubt so Byzantine Catholic churches can publicly venerate them; few do (the one I go to doesn't). (Me: "Don't mind if you do!" I don't privately venerate them because I know what the Orthodox think of us.) An exception are consciously anti-Catholic ones. I understand the Nestorians started again, after they'd all become Catholic (the Chaldean Catholic Church), because a bishop wouldn't stop commemorating Nestorius.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2017, 09:38:11 AM »

Interesting point. We give post-schism Orthodox saints the benefit of the doubt so Byzantine Catholic churches can publicly venerate them; few do (the one I go to doesn't). (Me: "Don't mind if you do!" I don't privately venerate them because I know what the Orthodox think of us.) An exception are consciously anti-Catholic ones. I understand the Nestorians started again, after they'd all become Catholic (the Chaldean Catholic Church), because a bishop wouldn't stop commemorating Nestorius.
The key is the three I've quoted could be qualified as explicitly anti-Catholic. Dioscorus even excommunicated the Pope.

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »
There are people under the pope celebrating Gregory Palamas, Dioscorus, and Nestorius as saints.

With the caveat that privately you may venerate anyone, maybe they're disobeying the church if they're doing this liturgically. Gregory Palamas might get the benefit of the doubt.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »
There are people under the pope celebrating Gregory Palamas, Dioscorus, and Nestorius as saints.

With the caveat that privately you may venerate anyone, maybe they're disobeying the church if they're doing this liturgically. Gregory Palamas might get the benefit of the doubt.
Sorry for the delay. I've posted some evidence of celebration of commemoration of Dioscorus and Acacius of Constantinople by Coptic Catholics and Nestorius by the Syro-Malabar back in this troll thread. St. Gregory Palamas in the Byzantine rite (not sure if all Byzantine Catholic churches) is a more widely known example.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 03:16:30 PM »

It is literally an example.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Greek, Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2017, 03:13:58 PM »
... St. Gregory Palamas in the Byzantine rite (not sure if all Byzantine Catholic churches) is a more widely known example.
Yes, all Byzantine Catholic Churches, on the 2nd Sunday of the Great Lent, like the Orthodox.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ