Author Topic: Why has Orthodoxy been traditionally more accepting of schism than Catholics?  (Read 147 times)

Offline Griffith

• Faith: Ex-Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: New York
I saw this post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Christianity/comments/4jy9ou/in_the_us_why_are_catholics_more_likely_to/

Later I came across this comment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DebateReligion/comments/4vfpgp/in_the_usa_why_are_roman_catholics_more_likely_to/dbevhgw/

So I am inquisitive. Being a former Roman Catholic who's considering Orthodoxy this is one issue I cannot understand.

I am curious why are Orthodox far more tolerants of schisms, spin-offs and foreign versions of the faith? I mean a Romanian Orthodox can easily going into a Greek Orthodox Church without any problem other than language (but he wouldn't be violating the tenants of his church). Even during the times when Russian Orthodoxy held a monopoly and did inquisitions against minority faiths including other Christian sects, they often left off other Orthodox Christians such as the Serbian Church alone. If someone created a new Orthodox Church say representing Turkish speaking minorities, there wouldn't be an outcry for not using the Greek Bible but a Turkish language in contrast to how Roman Catholics required mass and existing Bibles to be in Latin.

Roman Catholics don't even accept spinoffs that kept every tradition the Roman Church does and even are supportive of Pope but merely don't believe the Pope is infallible and are not in full communion as a result.

How come orthodoxy-who often carry out the most vicious persecution of other Christian sects today (often government sponsored) able to be far more liberal than the Roman Catholic Church has been in modern times in regards to subsects of Orthodox Christianity?

I mean for example if France decided to split off and create its own "French Catholic Church" they'd be branded as heretics and anyone attending this new church would be excommunicated. There has been at least one incident where someone was burned at stake for translating the Bible into English. Even a strictly Roman Church can be excommunicated for something as petty as allowing Feng Shui books in a local Church's library (and stuff like this happened in the past before the Vatican II council).

How come Orthodox developed this tradition while Catholics didn't? I'd go as far as saying Eastern Orthodox are even more liberal in this regard than a number of Protestant sects! I mean just look at the bickering between fundamentalist Baptists who share the exact same belief but merely want to remain independent rather than team up together!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:14:21 PM by Griffith »

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Is this a joke?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
There is a distinction between autocephalous/autonomous Orthodox churches and those that go into schism. Romanian and Greek Orthodox churches are not in schism from one another. They are merely separate autocephalous churches part of the unified Orthodox Church.
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post:  Tychonius of Africa: His Exegesis & Ecclesiology

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
The Western church is divided into thousands, some studies say tens of thousands, of pieces. The East has a handful of persistent schisms. The schisms of the East are matters of difference in a point or two. The matters of difference of belief tolerated even within the Roman church are legion -- swearing to the Pope sometimes almost seems all that's required -- while the variety and extremity of doctrine in Rome's Protestant offspring beggar all description.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:41:38 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
I mean a Romanian Orthodox can easily going into a Greek Orthodox Church without any problem other than language (but he wouldn't be violating the tenants of his church).
What I can't understand is why you think that the Romanians are "schismated" from the Greeks. They have a mutual agreement that they are two separate jurisdictions under their own leaders with communion with each other.

Are the Eastern Catholics in Ukraine "schismated" from the Melkite Catholics in Syria?
No, because they have an agreement that they are both Catholic and in communion.

Same thing with Orthodoxy. There is no need to go illogical.
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
The "Romanian Orthodox Church" and the "Russian Orthodox Church" are one Church, there's no schism. There are local churches, sometimes organised as separate institutions from each other, but holding to the same exact faith and sharing the same chalice.
"Now therefore, when thou didst pray, and Sara thy daughter in law, I did bring the remembrance of your prayers before the Holy One: and when thou didst bury the dead, I was with thee likewise." (Righteous Tobit 12:12)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
The concept that the East is woefully fragmented is a Papist apologetic I grew weary of hearing when I lived near Fordham and sat near young Knights of Columbus - types at coffee shops and diners. "It's obvious which is the true church, us or them, because they have no Head." O depths of irony in such an argument (Eph 4:14-16).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:15:52 AM by Porter ODoran »