OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 02:37:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek Orthodox Funeral  (Read 3820 times) Average Rating: 0
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: September 04, 2005, 11:29:38 PM »

Hi, as I stated in the prayer forum , a prominent member of our community died yesterday and his funeral will take place on Wednesday...and thank God I have never been to any Orthodox funerals or any at all....the only funeral I went to was a Roman Catholic 1.

So wut happens? What do I do?

1. At the funeral home do I go to the casket and kneel down and say a prayer and then console the family members?? When and if you do kneel down in front of the casket is it open or closed? i know some orthodox have the cascket closed...do I have to kiss the head? I know it sounds strange but at an italian catholic funeral i went to in my family, they kissed his hands which were entwined with a rosary or his forehead.

2. At the funeral liturgy, is it a normal liturgy or is it an entire separate service? I have a copy of english byzantine funerary chants by Fr. Apostolos Hill...beautiful.

3. Do I offer the family something? a donation? food?

Thanks 4 ur prayers,
                              Timos
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 03:34:42 PM »

Anyone? lol The funeral is tomorrow morning so any insight would be really helpful.

Timos
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 04:32:38 PM »

I suggest if you can get a copy of the obituary. The obit will usually provide information such as if the family is asking for donations in lieu of flowers etc. You might also contact someone at your church who knows the family of the deceased well for this type of information.

Here's the coffin ettiquette...

Walk up to the coffin and cross yourself, say a prayer. There is usually a cross and an icon in the coffin with the deceased, kiss the cross and the icon. Orthodox typically don't kneel, so I wouldn't suggest it.

The funeral service and liturgy are strung togehter in one big service, it's about an 1.5 hours long.

I'm not sure if this is typical of all Orthodox traditions but...

Here's something you might have to brace yourself for, as I about lost it the first time I witnessed this which was at my Djedo's (Grandfather's) funeral. At the end of the Funeral service the people in attendance line up row by row to say goodbye to the deceased. After everyone returns to thier seats the coffin is closed.

Hope this helps.

Timos
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 07:04:21 PM »

thanks a lot for your bery informative posts.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: