Author Topic: List of married Orthodox saints  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Daniel2:47

• Exploring the Orthodox tradition and seeking Truth
  • Faith: Orthodox - Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain
List of married Orthodox saints
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:17:15 AM »
I am trying to find a list of saints who were married but am struggling. Therefore, I would like your input on building a list of married saints. These saints may have been married and then later entered a monastery, or martyrs, or especially those who lived non-monastic lives.

If you can provide a brief description and their date of commemoration, that would be very useful!

1) Saint Mary the Theotokos and Joseph the Betrothed
2) Saints Anna and Joachim - parents of the Theotokos, 25th July and 9th September
3) Saints Zechariah and Elizabeth - parents of St John the Baptist, both 5th September
4) St Peter - Apostle, 29th June
5) Saints Aquila and Priscila - One of the Seventy and his wife, 14th July
6) Saints Peter and Fevronia of Murom - Prince & Princess of Murom in Russia, 8th July
7) St John of Kronstadt - Russian priest (1829-1908). Lived as brother & sister with his wife. 19th October & 20th December
8 ) Saints Justinian (483-565) and Theodora (500-548) - Roman emperor and empress, 14th November
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:29:01 AM by Daniel2:47 »

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Re: List of married Orthodox saints
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:19:44 AM »
St. John of Krondstadt was married but he and his wife agreed to live as brother and sister.   
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »
Thanks I have added

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:30:18 AM »
St. John of Krondstadt was married but he and his wife agreed to live as brother and sister.

Where is the proof that his wife agreed to this?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 09:43:13 AM »
St Emilia of Cappadocia, daughter of St Macrina the Elder. Emilia married Basil (later glorified as St Basil the Elder), and had ten children, five of whom became saints: Basil the Great, Gregory of Nyssa, Peter of Sebaste, Macrina the Younger, and Theosebeia the Deaconess.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 10:17:18 AM »

Where is the proof that his wife agreed to this?

"Grudgingly accepted after initial dismay" is probably closer to the truth.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 10:19:58 AM »
St Emilia of Cappadocia, daughter of St Macrina the Elder. Emilia married Basil (later glorified as St Basil the Elder), and had ten children, five of whom became saints: Basil the Great, Gregory of Nyssa, Peter of Sebaste, Macrina the Younger, and Theosebeia the Deaconess.

Also married, though we know pretty much nothing about his marriage.

If you cut out royalty and martyrs, though, I would bet the list of married saints gets very, very short.

Saint Mary of Paris (commemorated July 20) was married with children before she got divorced and became a nun.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »
St Alexis of Ugine (1867-1934), Russian priest who ministered in Russia and France, died of cancer. Body discovered incorrupt in 1950s. 22nd August

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:47:27 AM »
If you cut out royalty and martyrs, though, I would bet the list of married saints gets very, very short.

Technically speaking, St. Constantine was a widower.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »
The lives of married Orthodox saints is here:
https://www.amazon.com/Marriage-As-Path-Holiness-Anniversary/dp/0988457431

This new expanded and revised 20th anniversary edition includes the lives of over 180 married saints. Also of interest is the extensive Introduction, in which the authors present a summary of the consensus understanding of marriage in the Orthodox Tradition, using many quotations from various saints. This 20th anniversary edition is further enhanced by twenty-four illustrations, sixteen of which were expressly commissioned for this book and which include saints not commonly depicted. “Drawing on that rich but often neglected source, the Lives of the Saints, this book provides us with a representative selection of models, of icons in words, to encourage us on our own journey to the kingdom, whether we are married or not… What is striking first of all about the examples chosen is their diversity. They are spread in time across nearly four thousand years, from the Old Testament era up to our own day. In space they extend no less widely: from Persia in the east to Alaska in the west, from Egypt in the south to England in the north…. In each case the story has been told in a simple but vivid style, with frequent quotations from the original sources and from the liturgical texts…. And, whether we are married, monastics or single, as we look at the living icons of the Holy Trinity on the pages that follow, may we all of us be brought to a deeper appreciation of this ‘great mystery’ (Ephesians 5:32).”
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 02:22:10 PM »
St. John Kochurov, the first priestly martyr of the Bolshevik revolution, served in Chicago.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 02:37:48 PM »
Another martyr of the Bolsheviks, Saint Pavel Florensky, was married with children. He has not been canonized yet, the official reason being that he was executed after pleading guilty to founding a non-existent counter-revolutionary organization. Of course these were trumped up charges likely brought up due to his stubborn resistance to the atheist regime.

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Ukrainian Greek Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Saint Josaphat in Parma
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 02:49:05 PM »
St. Tsar Nicholas II and his wife Saint Alexandra.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 02:56:37 PM by HaydenTE »
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 03:05:46 PM »
Technically speaking, St. Constantine was a widower.

LOL!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »
St Argyre the New Martyr (+1721) was married only shortly before her incarceration, while St Philothea of Athens (+1589) endured an abusive marriage and, upon widowhood, chose the monastery over a second marriage. There are more female saints with similar backgrounds.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline nikolaj

• Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »
St Marta, mother of St Simeon the Stylite

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »
Yeah, the list woud be more interested if we cut royals, martyrs and Old Testament saints. Most Old Testament saints were married.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 06:37:51 AM »
I'm also interested in such saints, since the saints should be a model for us, and as I don't want to be a nun, I need a different model than a non-married, ascetic person.
I'm adding some of them:
1. st. Assad Al-Hayyek (6th of January, 13th c.); however he martyred because of a quarrel with his wife (she submited the case to the court and in the court the judge misinterptede that Assad embraced Islam, but the saint said it's not true etc.)
2. st. Angelina Branković (16th c.)
3. st. Xenia of Petersburg
4. st. Stefan Nemanaja (Stefan Mirotočivi) and his with st. Ana Nemanjić
5. st. Stefan Uroš III Dečanski
6. st. tsar Lazar Hrebeljanović and his wife st. Milica
7. st. Joseph of Damascus
8. st. Jelena Anžujska
9. st. Stefan Štiljanović and his wife st. Jelena Štiljanović
10. st. Bazyli Martysz
11. Stefan Nemanjić (Prvovenčani)
12. st. Adrian and st. Natalia
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 11:33:37 AM »
I was looking for St. Assad's story and didn't find anything. His name had gotten me interested.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:34:15 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 12:00:35 PM »
 St. Natalia and St. Adrian are the patron saints of marriage.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 12:57:55 PM »
Among Biblical saints, we have Joachim and Anna, Zechariah and Elizabeth, the righetous patriarchs and kings, and some prophets like Isaiah and Hosea. After Biblical times, the majority of royal saints were married, my favourite being Constantine (for the conversion of Rome), Justinian (I see his as a patron of Law and pray for him for university related stuff), Mirian/Nana and the Romanovs (nice stories).

Hieromartyr Maxim Sandovich was married.

St. Andrew Zimin was martyred with his wife, mother-in-law and children by the Communists and all were canonised.

If they eventually canonise Mother Olga Michael, we'll have an example of a married, non-martyred, saint.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:00:47 PM by RaphaCam »

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 01:48:34 PM »
I was looking for St. Assad's story and didn't find anything. His name had gotten me interested.

He is mentioned only in one of Arabic manuscripts and he has been put to the Polish edition of the Synaxarium (I suppose to French one too, as our Polish edition is based on the French one). I was searching online for him even in Arabic and I have failed.

St. Natalia and St. Adrian are the patron saints of marriage.
I've mentioned them.

Anyway, I got in Moldovia as the whole Polish group an icon of them with prayer to them in Church Slavonic and the priest said that's a good thing to pray to them to find the spouse and to get married. For me it has not worked (yet, I hope), but there is couple that met during this journey, then got married and a few weeks ago first child was born for them.

Among Biblical saints, we have Joachim and Anna, Zechariah and Elizabeth, the righetous patriarchs and kings, and some prophets like Isaiah and Hosea. After Biblical times, the majority of royal saints were married

It has been said there.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 05:38:02 PM »
Hieromartyr Daniel Sysoev was also married, but he's not yet canonised.

He is mentioned only in one of Arabic manuscripts and he has been put to the Polish edition of the Synaxarium (I suppose to French one too, as our Polish edition is based on the French one). I was searching online for him even in Arabic and I have failed.
I found him while I was writing this Wikipedia article, quoting a Greek Synaxarium as a source, but the synaxarium only had his name and year. Do you still have sources in Polish I could Google Translate?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:40:49 PM by RaphaCam »

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 06:19:16 PM »

I found him while I was writing this Wikipedia article, quoting a Greek Synaxarium as a source, but the synaxarium only had his name and year. Do you still have sources in Polish I could Google Translate?

THe Polish synaxarium has only the printed version. However, it says that st. Assad is mentioned in the Arabic manuscript 302 The history of the Alexandrian Patriarchs.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 10:05:14 AM »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
We forgot St. Elizabeth of Russia, a widow.

St. Argyra of Proussa was also married, and her martyrdom is related to a Muslim trying to take her from her husband.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:41:35 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »
This thread is so depressing. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2017, 12:05:12 AM »

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 01:49:14 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 07:13:00 AM »
Why?

Everyone dies.

But for the eternal joyous life. I do not see nothing depressing here.

Saints Susanna and Zabulon - parents of st. Nina (20th May).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 12:02:16 PM »
Why?

It just makes it look like the only way to become a saint if you're married is to be really rich or really martyred. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 02:46:32 PM »
Why?

It just makes it look like the only way to become a saint if you're married is to be really rich or really martyred.

Or really monkish.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »
I can't find anything about St. Romaric's wife (although he later became a monk), but he had some children, and one of them also fathered/mothered another saint, Adelphus. St. Leudinus Bodo was also married before becoming a monk.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:21:09 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 02:22:19 PM »
Also neither a martyr or a royal, I forgot my dear St. Monica. :)

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2017, 03:12:03 AM »
One of the cooler saints' names:

Maryrs Galaktion and his wife Episteme

https://oca.org/saints/lives/2017/11/05/103176-martyr-galaction-and-his-wife-at-emesa

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2017, 03:28:25 AM »
Mor should be happy with this one:

Ss. Nonna and Gregory of Arianzus (parents of St. Gregory the Theologian)

https://oca.org/saints/lives/2017/08/05/102214-righteous-nonna-the-mother-of-st-gregory-the-theologian

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2017, 09:07:54 AM »
A few more married saints:

St. George the Confessor, with his wife and children of Constantinople - commemorated on 13th May. St George suffered during the iconoclastic period for his refusal to give up veneration of icons. He was exiled along with his family by the emperor.

Venerable Andronicus of Egypt with his wife Athanasia - commemorated on 9th October. Saint Andronicus lived during the 5th century and decided to divide his income into three, giving one third to the Church, one third to the poor and retaining one third for his family. When their children died, the couple decided to enter the monastic life. They were later reunited on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, although they did not recognise each other at this time due to their altered appearances and Athanasia wearing male clothing to protect herself on the journey. They later shared a cell together, with Athanasia only revealing her secret in a note read after her death. They were buried together.

St Juliana of Lazarevo - commemorated on 2nd January. A pious Russian woman who lived during the 16th century and married and had children. She lived an ascetical life without becoming a monastic. Her body was found to be incorrupt and there were reported healings associated with her relics. She is considered a patron saint of the home and the kitchen.

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »
Saint Innocent of Alaska - commemorated on 6th October and 31st March. Saint Innocent of Alaska is renowned as a great missionary to the indigenous peoples of Alaska and in his earlier life he was married and his wife and children and his mother accompanied him when he volunteered to move to Alaska from Irkutsk. Following his wife's death, he took monastic vows and continued with his missionary work, later serving as bishop and archbishop in Alaska and later as Metropolitan of Moscow.

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2017, 09:24:06 AM »
Saint Jacob Netsvetov, Enlightener of Alaska - commemorated on 26th July. Father Jacob Netsvetov continued the missionary work started by St Innocent amongst the Alaskan peoples
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:34:17 AM by Daniel2:47 »

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2017, 07:06:47 AM »
St. Valentina of Minsk the Blessed (1888-1966) - not martyr, not nun.

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2017, 05:51:31 PM »
One of the cooler saints' names:

Maryrs Galaktion and his wife Episteme

https://oca.org/saints/lives/2017/11/05/103176-martyr-galaction-and-his-wife-at-emesa
Yep, ss White-as-milk and his wife Science
Also, st Gregory Palamas' holy parents ss Kalle and Constantius
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2017, 03:52:10 AM »
St. Philaret the Merciful. Aristocratic, but not a ruler, nor a martyr, nor monk.