Author Topic: A Glance in the Mirror: Great People Illuminating Great People  (Read 4499 times)

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
A Glance in the Mirror: Great People Illuminating Great People
« on: January 21, 2017, 03:23:58 PM »
Inspired by one of our posters, a grassroots movement has taken hold: to share our humble musings on other amazing individuals and their contributions.

Alas, the cornerstone of this movement:

GMK on MLK

Selam
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: A Glance in the Mirror: Great People Illuminating Great People
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 03:25:43 PM »
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 03:26:05 PM »

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »
Even as the moon reflects the light of the sun and thus in her own way illumines the night, so the profound souls whose contemplations grace this most worthy thread - my abject self, of course, included in only the most humble and yet most awesome and substantial of ways - enlighten these boards and indeed all of the interwebs by serenely reflecting upon the reflections of the luminaries who have illumined us and in whom we find luminous kindred souls.  Please bear in mind that my contemplations on A.L.F. are strictly my own, and yet completely and totally capture the essence of Melmacian philosophy in the most profound and indisputable of ways.  Look for my latest offering - My Dinner with ALF: A Tale of Two Kitties - at Borders and wherever fine (vanity press) books are sold.  Act now, and we'll throw in a Slap Chop.  You're gonna be in a great mood all day, because you're gonna be slapping your troubles away with Slap Chop.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 04:06:21 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 03:22:09 PM »
Even as the moon reflects the light of the sun and thus in her own way illumines the night, so the profound souls whose contemplations grace this most worthy thread - my abject self, of course, included in only the most humble and yet most awesome and substantial of ways - enlighten these boards and indeed all of the interwebs by serenely reflecting upon the reflections of the luminaries who have illumined us and in whom we find luminous kindred souls.  Please bear in mind that my contemplations on A.L.F. are strictly my own, and yet completely and totally capture the essence of Melmacian philosophy in the most profound and indisputable of ways.  Look for my latest offering - My Dinner with ALF: A Tale of Two Kitties - at Borders and wherever fine (vanity press) books are sold.  Act now, and we'll throw in a Slap Chop.  You're gonna be in a great mood all day, because you're gonna be slapping your troubles away with Slap Chop.

So good. Thanks.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 03:23:26 PM »
BTW I actually have a Slap Chop and have found that it doesn't really seem to make my veggie chopping markedly easier. I haven't used it in years.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »

Mor Ephrem on Rachel Weisz.  I'll say it again.  Mor Ephrem on Rachel Weisz.  At first, the phrase has a bit of a piquant flavor to it.  It sounds like something sinful. But like a tangy barbecue sauce with a brown sugar undertaste, we soon detect the sweet esoteric spirituality that lies beneath.  What else can we expect from the mind that brought us Sexting with OC.NET Members, the cleverly titled Trojan Horse which breeched the walls of the Adversary's Troy?  What else can we expect from such a subtle mind indeed?  Is this question even answerable?  Are the owls what they appear to be? Does acknowledging one's own self-importance give one a license to continue being self-important?  Aren't all humans self-important and needy, even if some are more flamboyant and obnoxious about it?  And wasn't it Lucretius who said that "nothing human disgusts me"?  What do you want for nothing, a rubber biscuit?

So good. Thanks.

If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.  It's totally me.  I'm awesome.

BTW I actually have a Slap Chop and have found that it doesn't really seem to make my veggie chopping markedly easier. I haven't used it in years.

Years, you say?  Time is an abyss profound as a thousand nights, and a man who knows not his true purpose is like a Slap Chop improperly used and relegated to a kitchen junk drawer: fearfully and wonderfully made and yet misapprehended, unappreciated, and abandoned by the world around him.  The absence of love is the most abject pain.  Soak it in, son.  I'm giving you pearls here.  Selah!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:09:41 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 11:59:19 AM »
This sublime thread merits a bump, not the harsh bump of two Autopia cars colliding, but the gentle, comforting, reassuring bump of the intermittent rubber tires that propelled the cars of the lamented PeopleMover, the closure of which still haunts my soul, along the continuing circuit of reflection, relaxqtion and self-illumination it was their function to traverse.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »
You should make one, Alpha.