OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 05:51:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Da Vinci Code  (Read 4268 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: September 07, 2005, 05:32:40 AM »

I might be dating someone whose favorite book happens to be the Da Vinci Code. After I am finished with Man's Search For Meaning, I may just borrow it from her.
I understand that the book has some whacky claims, if treated seriously, but I see no harm if it is read merely as a work of fiction. Furthermore, I have never read a thriller nor a book that exceeds much more than 300 pages and therefore, perhaps this would be worth taking the time to peruse.
Fellow Orthodox Christians, what would your opinion be? Keep in mind, I would find it absurd to take its historical claims with more than a grain of salt.ÂÂ  
Peace.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 05:33:28 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 08:05:28 AM »

Matthew,

ÃƒÆ’‚  I just finished the book three weeks ago and (as long as you understand it is total fiction), it is [overall] an excellent  book.

ÃƒÆ’‚  The book drags a bit, and I found the end to be anti-climactic, however, it was still a good read.  I found myself reading it while walking from the train to the office and vice versa.  It really had me on the edge of my seat.

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ Now, I don't want to talk about specifics, but shortly after I read the book I read two Sermons from a Greek Orthodox Priest in California (Father Tschilis sp??) that discussed a lot of the "facts" claimed by Dan Brown.  The Priests Sermons really but a good perspective on the book.  I think this book could be a bit of a dangerous book to someone willing to accept it as fact, but otherwise, I say go for it.

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ BTW, I'm currently reading "To Kill a Nation" by Michael Parenti, which is excellent.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 08:06:32 AM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 08:20:27 AM »

I just could not read it...it was predictable (from a mystery buff's viewpoint, anyway) and bored me to tears.  I may go see the movie but it isn't something that i will see in the theatre, I'll wait for the video.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 08:24:30 AM »

I just could not read it...it was predictable (from a mystery buff's viewpoint, anyway) and bored me to tears.ÂÂ  I may go see the movie but it isn't something that i will see in the theatre, I'll wait for the video.

I haven't read fiction since I graduated from college, (although some might argue my law texts were fiction  Wink), so for me it was really "edge of my seat" type stuff.

Although, I suppose if I were a mystery buff, like yourself, I may have expected more.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
MBZ

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 09:48:39 AM »

Hi all!

Well, I'll offer my orthodox Jewish $0.02.

I can see very much how Roman Catholics might be (very) offended by the book. If this book had been written with a Jewish angle instead of a Roman Catholic one, Jewish groups (such as the ADL) the world over would be screaming bloody murder that it was libelous, anti-Semitic, etc.

Brown cleverly mixed in just enough facts (i.e. regarding the Christian makeover of various pagan symbols into symbols of evil) with his fiction to give the latter a veneer of plausibility. An undereducated/underinformed person could easily be led to believe some of the more outrageous stuff (i.e. Opus Dei buying its bishopric by bailing the Vatican out of bankruptcy, that the Church has murderously sought to suppress certain information, etc).

Also, I must fault very many of his references to Judaism & Jewish practices:

1) There were NO “sacred prostitutes” in the First Temple in Jerusalem, as Brown wrote. Temple prostitution was a Canaanite practice. The Torah denounces such gross immorality. Such a charge (that there were “sacred prostitutes” in the Temple) has no basis whatsoever in any Jewish source.

2) The Hebrew word shekhinah means "God’s presence" (and is a cognate of a root meaning "to dwell" & is related to the Hebrew words for "neighbor", the Biblical "tent of meeting" and, oddly enough, "mortgage") & is feminine.  ÃƒÆ’‚ (The Semitic languages, like the Romance languages, but unlike English, assign gender to all nouns). Shekhinah was/is not God’s female consort, as Brown wrote. We believe that God is Wholly Other and, that as such, completely transcends the physical concept/construct of gender. Insofar as we, with our necessarily limited human understanding, perceive God and how He (I use the masculine pronoun simply because it is the customary usage, not because I attribute any particular gender to God) makes His presence felt in the world, we discern features/aspects that appear to be feminine or masculine, as the case may be. Accordingly, we see the shekhinah as representing the more feminine side of God’s presence in the world.

3) Judaism does not, in any way, denigrate or disparage the role of women (as Brown insinuated more than once). A common (and very condescending) liberal fallacy is that because a traditional faith like orthodox Judaism believes that men & women are different and have different roles, that we necessarily believe that women are inferior; people confuse uniformity with equality & mistake the absence of the former for a lack of the latter. This is nonsense. Neither does orthodox Judaism deny/disparage a married woman’s sexuality; indeed, it is our view that satisfactory sexual relations are the wife’s right & the husband’s duty to meet that right & not the other way ‘round.

Still, I found Brown's comments on the pre-Christian/pagan spirituality of the act of sexual intercourse & communing with the goddess/feminine aspects of Divinity, very interesting.ÂÂ  This actually jibes with the orthodox Jewish view very nicely.ÂÂ  Our Sages teach that when a loving & respectful husband & wife unite in the act of love that the Shekhinah (which, as I noted above, represents more feminine side of God’s presence in the world) rests upon them and that they sanctify the physical act and invest it with holiness.

4) The idea that Jews living in Roman Gaul would have kept the genealogical lists of Mary Magdelene’s presumed descendants is also pure hokum. Brown said (based on what?) that she was from the tribe of Benjamin & hinted at her descent from the House of Saul. Big deal; who cares? In Judaism, tribal affiliation is passed in the male line only & the House of Saul was perpetually excluded by God from the kingship. Also, David’s royal line continued among the Jews of Babylonia until well into Islamic times (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exilarch). Brown should know very well that Jews have never accepted Jesus’s presumed Davidic descent (no offense!) & to assert that Jews in Gaul would have is ludicrous.

5) Still, my wife & I found it to be a good whodunit conspiracy thriller and a fun read that shouldn’t be taken too seriously. That just generates more publicity & makes more even money for Brown. Learn from some Jewish groups' way overblown overreaction (which I didn’t agree with at all, by the way) to Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ.

6) The more we peer at DaVinci's Last Supper, the more we are convinced that the disciple reputed to be St. John the Evangelist is a woman & not merely a youthful, possibly pre-pubescent, male.

7) Howzat?

Be well!

MBZ
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 09:52:24 AM by MBZ » Logged

"Peace, peace to him that is far off and to him that is near." [Isaiah 57:19]

"Gather your wits and hold on fast..." [The Who]

"Lose your dreams and you could lose your mind." [The Rolling Stones]

http://tinyurl.com/bvskq

[url=htt
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 02:07:49 PM »

MBZ,

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ How goes it my friend?  I didn't get a chance to respond to your salutations on another board, so I'll do it here.

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ If I may touch upon something you alluded to in your post (I don't want to get to deep into the substance of the book) so I'm going to be very general.

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ The fact that this book is fiction, does not obscure the fact that it is very anti-Christian, anti-Roman Catholic and collaterally anti-Orthodox (he doesn't specifically disparage the Orthodox Church) but does so by subverting the Council of Nicea 325 A.D.

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ Here is my problem with that... when Mel made "The Passion", many groups (not just liberal Jewish groups) had a big problem with Mel telling the story of Jesus' crucifixion, as found in the Gospels.  While he did take "some" artisitic liberties, he tried to keep it close to the Gospels.

ÃƒÆ’‚  In other words, The Passion of the Christ was an affirmative movie about Christianity, telling the story of Christ's crucifixion as we believe it happened.  In the process, some of the Jewish Pharisees were made to look bad as were the Romans.  Now, contrast Da Vinci...

ÃƒÆ’‚  Da Vinci, affirmatively goes out to say... "hey Christians, you've been lied to!  Your entire faith is a sham, based on fiction after fiction... not a shread of truth".

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ So, the moral of the story is, you *shouldn't* make a movie based on the new testament, telling the story of Christ as Christians know it (affirming the Christianity), but YOU CAN make a movie (or book) calling Christianity a lie.

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ Look at it another way.  What would the ADL, ACLU and any other group had said if Mel made a movie dismissing Judaism as nothing but a big lie?  The only truths to Judaism were those accepted by Christians.

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  What if his movie mocked Kosher dietary laws, Mikvah's (sp??), Shabbat, Tfillin, davening (sp??), Yarmulke's, Yom Kippur & Rosh Hashanah and passed it off as "fiction"?  I think we can be fair in what the backlash to such a movie might be.

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ That is what the Da Vinci code is like, yet, it still didn't bother me.  It didn't, because his words (unlike the destruction of hundreds of Serbian Orthodox Churches in Kosovo) can be researched and corrected with minimal time and effort.  The damage to the faith only impacts the uneducated and decidedly ignorant.

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  Frankly, I think I movie against Judaism (like I described above) probably wouldn't bother MBZ much either, as he would dismiss it as utter nonsense and total fiction.  That is why Da Vinci didn't bother me.  (boy am I long winded) sheesh.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 02:12:18 PM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 07:18:34 PM »

I am not expecting this book to be either especially great or shocking, I just hope that perhaps reading it would help me to better understand why this lady enjoys it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 07:53:36 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
AnthonyPL

St. Mary of Egypt, Pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 09:38:53 PM »

Expect a predictable book with flat characters.  Oh yeah, and a bunch of bad "history." 
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 10:56:41 PM »

Is this revisionist history the only reason why this book is so popular? I wonder what the literary critics view this book as.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
SeanMc

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 11:41:12 PM »

While the DC is a piece of fiction, it is a blasphemous piece of fiction nontheless and Christians should not read it.

Mind you, I've watched and enjoyed Monty Python's Life of Brian and found it quite funny, but whenever Jesus is in the movie (as in when the 3 Magi went to Brian's nativity by accident), it's always in a good light.
SeanMc

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 11:43:18 PM »

Is this revisionist history the only reason why this book is so popular? I wonder what the literary critics view this book as.

I think it's the excitement of challenging one's most basic assumptions.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 11:50:26 PM »

While the DC is a piece of fiction, it is a blasphemous piece of fiction nontheless and Christians should not read it.

Well, perhaps I'd be willing to read a blasphemous piece of fiction for a girl. It could not be any worse than Bertrand Russell and I read that just for philosophy class. 

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
SeanMc

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 11:53:43 PM »

Well, perhaps I'd be willing to read a blasphemous piece of fiction for a girl. It could not be any worse than Bertrand Russell and I read that just for philosophy class.

Depends how good looking she is.  Smiley

Anyway, since different people perceive her beauty to be at different levels, can we ever know if the "real girl," if it exists, is truly beautiful? Wink
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 12:00:40 AM »

Depends how good looking she is.  Smiley

A relationship is about more than just looks, though "badunkadunk" happens to be my favorite word. Honestly, I am also looking for stability, kindness, compassion, a healthy desire for romance and a good sense of humor.

can we ever know if the "real girl," if it exists, is truly beautiful? Wink

What matters to me, perhaps the most, is how beautiful a girl is within. A lady needs to have spiritual, emotional and intellectual depth.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
SeanMc

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 12:11:20 AM »

What matters to me, perhaps the most, is how beautiful a girl is within. A lady needs to have spiritual, emotional and intellectual depth.

It was a Betrand Russel joke based on "Appearance, Reality, and Knowledge by Aquaintance." Smiley
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 12:34:02 AM »

It was a Betrand Russel joke based on "Appearance, Reality, and Knowledge by Aquaintance." Smiley

Well, I was not aware that Bertrand Russel could tell a joke.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
eleni

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 03:27:51 AM »

AN ORTHODOX PERSPECTIVE ON THE DA VINCI CODE

As Orthodox Christians, why would we bother worrying about, or even reviewing, a novel? In the 21st century, we are living in the post-Christian era. This does not mean that Society now considers Christianity redundant and outmoded, supplanted by modern philosophy and science, and even by new theology — end of story. This may well be the case, but it is not sufficient; Christianity must now be attacked and ‘proved’ wrong. How? There is only one effective way of doing this: by removing God from Christianity. During the first 300 years of its existence, Christians were persecuted, often with extreme brutality, but these persecutions were only battles; the war had not yet begun, in the worldly sense. The first major offensive against Christianity was the Arian heresy.

http://www.rocor.org.au/syezd2004/davinci.html

Glory be to God
Lord have mercy on me a sinner.
IX
helen

A Prudent man foresees evil and hides himself;
The simple pass on and are punished.
-Proverbs27:12-
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 03:46:42 AM »

Some of the greatest novelists have been Orthodox Christians...

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
MBZ

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 10:07:34 AM »

Hi all!

SouthSerb99, you posted:

How goes it my friend?

Da Boyz went back to school (3rd grade & kindergarten, respectively) last week (WOO-HOO!  BOO-YA!) and DW & I  are managing to deal with it.  Smiley Wink

The fact that this book is fiction, does not obscure the fact that it is very anti-Christian...

Correct.

...anti-Roman Catholic...

Correct.

...and collaterally anti-Orthodox (he doesn't specifically disparage the Orthodox Church)...

I hadn't thought about this one but...correct.

In the process, some of the Jewish Pharisees were made to look bad as were the Romans.

It still hasn't opened here yet.  Caiphas was a Sadducee.

Da Vinci, affirmatively goes out to say... "hey Christians, you've been lied to!  Your entire faith is a sham, based on fiction after fiction... not a shread of truth".

So, the moral of the story is, you *shouldn't* make a movie based on the new testament, telling the story of Christ as Christians know it (affirming the Christianity), but YOU CAN make a movie (or book) calling Christianity a lie.

I could see where a believing traditional Christian (such as yourself) could see it this way.

Look at it another way.  What would the ADL, ACLU and any other group had said if Mel made a movie dismissing Judaism as nothing but a big lie?  The only truths to Judaism were those accepted by Christians.

What if his movie mocked Kosher dietary laws, Mikvah's (sp??), Shabbat, Tfillin, davening (sp??), Yarmulke's, Yom Kippur & Rosh Hashanah and passed it off as "fiction"?  I think we can be fair in what the backlash to such a movie might be.

I would ignore such a film & pay it very little, if any, mind but the reaction of some of my fellow Jews would be, "Lock & load."

It didn't, because his words (unlike the destruction of hundreds of Serbian Orthodox Churches in Kosovo) can be researched and corrected with minimal time and effort.  The damage to the faith only impacts the uneducated and decidedly ignorant.

Well put.

You mention the destruction of Serbian Orthodox churches in Kosovo.  Everyone over here has got their bloomers in a twist over what to do with the synagogues in the now abandoned/evacuated Jewish communities in the Gaza Strip.  All of the Torah scrolls, holy books & objects, furnishings, furniture, etc. have been removed but we believe that there is an inherent sanctity in a building that was once used as a synagogue such that it ought not to be demolished.  The whole thing is now before our High Court of Justice (the same thing as our Supreme Court; when it sits as a court of first instance for apeals against government bodies & officials, it's the HCJ; when it sits as the highest court of appeal over the various lower courts, it's the SC).  The Palestinian Authority has said it will not maintain/preserve the synagogues (and given its record of violating treaty obligations in this regard, regarding the ancient Jericho synagogue & Joseph's Tomb in Nablus, see http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6176.msg79974;topicseen#msg79974, who would/could rely on it even if it said that it would care for them?).  Some have spoken of the possibility of some sort of international/UN guarantees for them... Cheesy  So the choice is between us demolishing them or leaving the structures intact.  Given that, I think, any synagogue buildings thus left in the Gaza Strip will be made into mosques right-quick in a blatant display of gloating, petty triumphalism, I personally would rather see them demolished first.  But there is a good chance that they could be left intact.  If they are thus made into mosques, I think I might get an inkling of what orthodox Christians must feel when they behold the Haiga Sophia. Embarrassed

Hah!  I'm more longwinded than you!  Smiley

Be well!

MBZ

[url=htt
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 03:39:55 PM »

I'll read the Da Vinci Code if she reads Man's Search For Meaning. Otherwise, there is no way I'd ever read such a paranoid book of revisionist history.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 04:11:14 PM »

Da Boyz went back to school (3rd grade & kindergarten, respectively) last week (WOO-HOO!  BOO-YA!) and DW & I  are managing to deal with it.  Smiley Wink

I'm just starting to learn about the joys of parenthood.  See here http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6702.msg87694#msg87694

Caiphas was a Sadducee.

Could you explain the difference (in the practical sense).

I would ignore such a film & pay it very little, if any, mind but the reaction of some of my fellow Jews would be, "Lock & load."

I thought you'd say that!  Wink

You mention the destruction of Serbian Orthodox churches in Kosovo.  Everyone over here has got their bloomers in a twist over what to do with the synagogues in the now abandoned/evacuated Jewish communities in the Gaza Strip.  All of the Torah scrolls, holy books & objects, furnishings, furniture, etc. have been removed but we believe that there is an inherent sanctity in a building that was once used as a synagogue such that it ought not to be demolished.  The whole thing is now before our High Court of Justice (the same thing as our Supreme Court; when it sits as a court of first instance for appeals against government bodies & officials, it's the HCJ; when it sits as the highest court of appeal over the various lower courts, it's the SC).  The Palestinian Authority has said it will not maintain/preserve the synagogues (and given its record of violating treaty obligations in this regard, regarding the ancient Jericho synagogue & Joseph's Tomb in Nablus, see http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6176.msg79974;topicseen#msg79974, who would/could rely on it even if it said that it would care for them?).  Some have spoken of the possibility of some sort of international/UN guarantees for them... Cheesy  So the choice is between us demolishing them or leaving the structures intact.  Given that, I think, any synagogue buildings thus left in the Gaza Strip will be made into mosques right-quick in a blatant display of gloating, petty triumphalism, I personally would rather see them demolished first.  But there is a good chance that they could be left intact.  If they are thus made into mosques, I think I might get an inkling of what orthodox Christians must feel when they behold the Haiga Sophia. Embarrassed

Yes, this reminded me of the phony story of the "flushing of the Koran".  That caused riots.  Tearing down and disrespecting Churches and Synagogues, no big deal.  Roll Eyes

Hah!  I'm more longwinded than you!

According to my wife, this is not humanly possible. Grin

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
MBZ

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 04:45:44 PM »

Hi all!

Well, I won't have to worry about Gazan synagogues being desecrated by being made into mosques.ÂÂ  See http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/622813.html.

I should've said that Caiphas was a Sadducee heretic.ÂÂ  See http://www.jewfaq.org/movement.htm#Ancient & http://www.aish.com/literacy/jewishhistory/Crash_Course_in_Jewish_History_Part_28_-_Greek_Persecution.asp (scroll down to the section entitled "Jew vs. Jew").

Hah!ÂÂ  I'm more longwinded than you!

According to my wife, this is not humanly possible.ÂÂ  Grin

Hmm, maybe our wives should get together.  Roll Eyes

Hey, my Serbian friend!ÂÂ  On Sept. 15 & Sept. 29 Israel's Maccabi Petah Tikva & Serbia's Partizan Belgrade will square off in the UEFA Cup first round.ÂÂ  Whaddya think?

Be well!

MBZ
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 04:47:37 PM by MBZ » Logged

[url=htt
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 09:47:13 PM »

Hey, my Serbian friend!ÂÂ  On Sept. 15 & Sept. 29 Israel's Maccabi Petah Tikva & Serbia's Partizan Belgrade will square off in the UEFA Cup first round.ÂÂ  Whaddya think?

Well, I'll be honest with you... I'm a football (soccer) fanatic, but Partizan are my bitter foes!!!  I am a Red Star Belgrade fan.  They are the two biggest and best teams in Serbia and usually were the best when Yugoslavia existed.

Red Star has one more league titles and more cups by a mile though. Now, I'm not at all familiar with Maccabi Petah Tikva (as a barely get to watch any European football) let alone anything else.  Tell me your thoughts.

As an aside, the Partizan fans are called "Grobari" in English "Grave Diggers" - LOL.  Red Star's fans are called "Delije" or Heroes.  We have so much more class!  Cheesy  Grin

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005, 12:36:28 AM »

I bet I'm not the first man who has ever read a cheesy book for a beautiful woman.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 04:04:09 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
MBZ

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2005, 03:06:43 PM »

Hi SouthSerb99!

Well, Petah Tikva (http://www.jafi.org.il/education/100/places/pt.html) is now an outer Tel Aviv suburb (tho' it's much older than Tel Aviv).  Since Israeli soccer has improved of late, UEFA has allowed us a fourth tournament entrant.  Our league champion goes to the UEFA Champion's League, while our State Cup winner plus the second & third place teams in the league go to the UEFA Cup.  Maccabi Petah Tikva came in second in the league last year.  This is the first time they ever made it to one of the UEFA tournaments.  They annihilated a Macedonian team in the preliminary round.  Other than this, I don't know much about them.  I'll send you (by PM) any articles about them that I come across in Israel's English-language papers ahead of the game.

Be well!

MBZ

[url=htt
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2005, 12:37:39 AM »

They annihilated a Macedonian team in the preliminary round.

This is the equivalent of annihilating my highschool soccer team!   Grin Grin Wink Cheesy

Macedonian Club team = 5 former Albanian "freedom fighters", 4 unemployed transit workers, 1 Hog farmer and a Bulgarian goalie who fakes being Macedonian. LOL

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2005, 03:01:24 AM »

But if he is Bulgarian wouldn't he speak Macedonian perfectly?
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2005, 09:20:40 AM »

But if he is Bulgarian wouldn't he speak Macedonian perfectly?

Da!

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2005, 08:00:28 PM »

SouthSerb, no one answered your question about the differences between the Pharisees and the Sadducees...So, I will:

Pharisees:

Believed that the Tanakh (Old Testament) was inspired and authoritative
Believed in angels, demons, spirits, etc.
Believed in the resurrection of the dead
Held to Rabbinical Tradition and interpretation in addition to Scripture

Sadducees:
Believed only in the Pentateuch as authoratative
Did not believe in angels, demons, or spiritual beings
Rejected the concept of the resurrection
Only believed in the Pentateuch, no extra-biblical tradition
Made up of most of the Priesthood and many of the Upper Class.

Matthew777,
The Da Vinci Code is okay, but it lacks character development.  What makes it interesting is the revisionist history.  You know it's false, but the idea is disgusting, you can't help read it.  If your faith is easily shaken, DON'T touch the book.  If you can approach the book as a piece of (not so well written) fiction, then go for it.

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2005, 12:40:11 AM »

Matthew777,
The Da Vinci Code is okay, but it lacks character development.ÂÂ  What makes it interesting is the revisionist history.ÂÂ  You know it's false, but the idea is disgusting, you can't help read it.ÂÂ  If your faith is easily shaken, DON'T touch the book.ÂÂ  If you can approach the book as a piece of (not so well written) fiction, then go for it.

Thank you for the advice. On a related note, we shared our first kiss today and it was wonderful. I am definitely willing to read a sub-par book to return the favor.

Peace.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 12:40:41 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2005, 01:56:58 AM »

Maybe it's just me but some things are better left to one's personal life, rather than being brodcast on a message board. 
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2005, 02:31:49 AM »

Maybe it's just me but some things are better left to one's personal life, rather than being brodcast on a message board.ÂÂ  

Perhaps you are right. I will probably not be posting on this forum for quite some time. However, I am not ashamed to proclaim on the roof tops that I love the most beautiful woman alive.

Peace.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 02:47:04 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
MBZ

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2005, 05:37:36 AM »

Hi all!

SouthSerb99, still zip in the local papers about Thursday's game.

Macedonian Club team = 5 former Albanian "freedom fighters", 4 unemployed transit workers, 1 Hog farmer and a Bulgarian goalie who fakes being Macedonian.

Hee-hee!ÂÂ  Cheesy

Well, the Cabinet on Sunday decided to heed the pleas of rabbis from all over the world (as well as from our President) & decided that no Jew would lend his hand to the destruction of a synagogue, that if the synagogues were to be desecrated, no Jew would do it.ÂÂ  And sure enough, what did the cohorts of those who have desecrated/trashed Orthodox churches in Kosovo do?ÂÂ  From today's Los Angeles Times:

Gazans Burn Synagogues in Israeli Soldiers' Wake

By Laura King and Ken Ellingwood
Times Staff Writers

September 12, 2005

GAZA CITY — Palestinians surged triumphantly into demolished Jewish settlements in the Gaza Strip early today, torching empty synagogues...

Link: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-gaza12sep12,1,4836176.story?coll=la-headlines-world

And from today's Ha'aretz:

Palestinians torch synagogues in former Gaza settlements

By The Associated Press and Haaretz Service

Palestinians set fire to at least four synagogues in evacuated Gaza Strip settlements early Monday, a day after the cabinet reversed an earlier decision and said Israel Defense Forces should withdraw without demolishing the synagogues.

The Palestinians torched synagogues in Kfar Darom, Morag, Netzarim and Neveh Dekalim.

Supporters of the demolition had warned that the Palestinians would desecrate or destroy the synagogues, but opponents - including Israel's chief rabbis - said Israel must not be responsible for the destruction, no matter what the Palestinians do.

As they left their homes last month, the settlers took the Torah scrolls from their synagogues, as well as prayer books and other holy items - symbolizing the end of the use of the buildings as houses of prayer.

The fires caused little structural damage in the fortress-like concrete and stone structures, but the Palestinian Authority said the buildings would be destroyed.

Thousands of celebrating Palestinians swamped the evacuated settlement of Neveh Dekalim early Monday just after Israel Defense Forces soldiers withdrew, setting fire to a building that just last month served as a rabbinical college.

There were similar scenes throughout Gaza as Palestinians headed straight for empty synagogues Israel left intact.

Flames shot skyward from the synagogue building in the isolated former settlement of Morag in southern Gaza, minutes after Israeli soldiers left and hundreds of Palestinians stormed in.

(...).

Link: http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/623849.html

All I could think of is the line from Don McLean's classic American Pie:

And as the flames climbed high into the night
To light the sacrificial rite
I saw Satan laughing with delight...

Come to the Jewish Quarter of the old City of Jerusalem & see the mosque there.ÂÂ  It has been unused since 1967 but the municipality keeps it up, maintains it & guards it.ÂÂ  Ditto for the mosque on the edge of Jerusalem's ultra-orthodox Mea Shearim neighborhood.ÂÂ  And the Jewish hoodlums who tossed a pig's head at the Nissim Bek mosque in Tel Aviv are now facing serious criminal charges (http://tinyurl.com/dn83n & http://tinyurl.com/dfwqg) & will go to jail for a very long time.

But Orthodox Christian churches and Orthodox Jewish synagogues are desecrated and nooooobody cares.

*Sigh*

Be well!

MBZ
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 05:43:32 AM by MBZ » Logged

[url=htt
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2005, 08:06:15 AM »

MBZ,

I find those stories disgusting and appalling, but I do NOT find them shocking at all.  I think we both knew what the reaction was going to be.  Very sad.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
MBZ

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2005, 09:07:33 AM »

Hi SouthSerb99!

I'm just hearing on the 16:00 radio news here that the Israel Police national operations HQ has instructed all districts & stations to step up security around mosques in case Jewish right-wing extremists attempt to attack/harm them in response to the orgy of arson going on in the Gaza Strip.  It is sad that we have loonies who would do such ugly things but I hope the world sees that whereas the Palestinian Authority police are doing nothing to halt the burnings of synagogues, the Israel Police will do their utmost to protect mosques (somehow I'm not holding my breath that the world will take such notice).

Be well!

MBZ

[url=htt
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2005, 09:15:08 AM »

MBZ,

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ Exactly, Israeli authorities spend time and money to ensure no Mosque's are touched, yet the orgy in Gaza goes on.

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ In March 2004, after 3 days of Albanian pogroms against Serbs and Serbian Orthodox Churches in Kosovo, Serbian police in Belgrade were ordered to offer 24 hour protection of the largest mosque in Belgrade.

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ Since the outbreak of hostilities in the former Yugoslavia, to my knowledge, only 3 mosques have been intentionally destroyed (two by Croats in Mostar and one by Serbs in Bosnia).  Serbian fighters also destroyed other mosques, after Muslims used them as shelter to launch mortars at Serbs (I don't consider these to be "religious" buildings, but akin to military barracks).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 09:15:34 AM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
MBZ

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2005, 02:27:57 AM »

Hi SouthSerb99!

Well, here's the article from this morning's Ha'aretz about tonight's UEFA Cup first round match:

Soccer / Petah Tikva looks to keep Israeli hopes alive against Belgrade

By Yaniv Kovovic

Maccabi Petah Tikva will carry Israel's last hope when it hosts Partizan Belgrade in the first leg of their UEFA Cup first round tie at the National Stadium in Ramat Gan tonight (live broadcast 19:30, 5+).

Guy Luzon's side is the only Israeli club left in European competition following the exits of Maccabi Haifa, Maccabi Tel Aviv and Ashdod SC. In any case, the team faces a great challenge against the Serbian giants in its efforts to become the first Israeli team to reach the group stage.

"Our aim is to reach the group stage of the competition," Luzon said. "We are not losers, and we will enter the game in a positive mind set. We are not looking for excuses; we have a lot of self respect and will do everything we can to go through to the next stage. We want to be the first Israeli team to make the group stage of the competition."

Luzon has yet to release his lineup for tonight's clash, but new signing Emile Mbamba could open up front alongside Omer Golan at the expense of Kfir Edri.

Golan, who scored five goals in Petah Tikva's qualifying round matches, said yesterday that the team is 100 percent ready. "Over the summer we said that Petah Tikva needs to go one step further this season, and that step is to make the group stage of the competition," Golan said. "If we want to get past Partizan, we have to score at home."

Club president Amos Luzon said he was counting on the fact that the Serbs did not appear to be familiar with Petah Tikva. "One of their players said this week that our fantastic fans will push the team forward. That proves they know nothing about us."

Petah Tikva is one of Israel's most poorly supported clubs with an average home attendance of 3,000, although 7,000 are expected to turn out for tonight's game.

"As the only remaining Israeli club in Europe, we feel a need to represent the country," Amos Luzon said. "It is our duty to succeed."

Link: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/625062.html

Here http://www.jadransport.org/articles/1880.html is a lengthier analysis (in English) of both teams from a Serbian sports site.

Good luck!

MBZ
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 04:10:25 AM by MBZ » Logged

[url=htt
MBZ

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2005, 03:22:03 PM »

Hi all!

And the winner is...Partizan Belgrade, 2-0.

Congratulations!

Be well!

MBZ

[url=htt
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2005, 08:39:16 PM »

I finally finished reading Man's Search for Meaning last night and am now checking out The Da Vinci Code at the library. As Frankl wrote, "Salvation is found through love and in love".

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
MBZ

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2005, 01:04:27 AM »

Hi all!

*AHEM*

Last update - 05:20 30/09/2005

UEFA Cup / Maccabi PT stuns Partizan 5-2

By Haaretz Sports Staff

Maccabi Petah Tikva coach Guy Luzon's do-or-die approach paid off last night as his team shocked Partizan 5-2 in Belgrade to overcome a 2-0 deficit from the first leg at Bloomfield two weeks ago. The result gave Maccabi a 5-4 aggregate win, as it became the first Israeli team to make the group stage of the competition.

Striker Omer Golan scored a hat trick, Asi Mashiach converted a penalty, and Partizan fullback Marko Lomic scored an own goal to hand Petch Tikva the sensational win.

Partizan had lost only twice at home in any type of competition in the past two years, and had entered the game expecting nothing but victory. But within three minutes, Mashiach hinted at the visitors' determination as he blasted in a retaken penalty kick after Golan was brought down in the box.

Maccabi goalkeeper Ohad Cohen stopped a penalty kick from Simon Vuckcevic at the other end at eight minutes, but three minutes later, the Serbs evened the score as Srdajan Radonjic scored on yet another penalty.

Maccabi did not lose faith despite the odds, and Golan restored the lead for the visitors at 20 minutes with a crisply taken shot from the edge of the box. Radonjic evened the score at 42 minutes, heading the ball into an empty goal as Cohen was caught out of place by a deflected shot.

With Petah Tikva needing two goals to secure an aggregate win, Golan headed in a ball from a Kfir Edri cross at the stroke of half time to give Luzon's team the chance of pulling off the impossible against the Serbian giants.

Golan headed home the team's fourth goal shortly after the interval, with Salim Tuame assisting this time. Petah Tikva fell back into defense as Golan went off injured, and Cohen made two outstanding saves. But the visitors survived the onslaught, and fullback Marko Lomic deflected a shot from Edri past his own keeper in the closing stages to complete the rout.

"We are in cloud nine," Luzon said after the game. "We pulled off an enormous coup. Let's not forget we are talking about a team that held Real Madrid and Lazio last season. No other team in Europe has scored five goals in Belgrade."

In other upsets last night Feyenoord crashed out 2-1 on aggregate to Rapid Bucharest, Bayer Leverkusen went down 2-0 on aggregate to CSKA Sofia, and Galatasaray went out 2-1 to Tromso after a 1-1 draw at home to the Norwegians.

Competition debutants Bolton Wanderers, with Israeli Tal Ben Haim, defeated Bulgaria's Lokomotiv Plovdiv 2-1 to advance 4-2 on aggregate.

The draw for the group stage of the competition takes place in Nyon, Switzerland on Tuesday. Eight groups of five teams will compete for a place in the last 32, which reverts to a knockout system.

Link: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/631027.html

As the late great Jackie Gleason would say:  What a dan-DAN-DANDY!

Be well!

MBZ

[url=htt
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2005, 08:03:50 AM »

Hi all!

*AHEM*

Link: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/631027.html

As the late great Jackie Gleason would say:ÂÂ  What a dan-DAN-DANDY!

Be well!

MBZ

What was that thing about the fat lady singing...

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
StephenG

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2005, 08:59:40 AM »

Thank you, I actually found this thread informative in all sorts of way and rich in such a wider variety of information.

As for the book in question, no thank you. Yes, Orthodox Christian authors have written fiction and some fine fiction at that. But 'The Da Vinci Code strikes me from the information provided as having a subversive agenda. And there are too many ignorant folk around today. Indeed in the UK you might blank stares all too often if you use a biblical analogy or reference; especially among younger people. Other seem to think being a Christian is simply about being 'nice' and little more.

Many thanks, and I wish the football teams well...
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2005, 12:45:21 PM »

I read two or three chapters of The Da Vinci Code and quit once I realized how poorly written it is.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
MBZ

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2005, 02:46:02 PM »

Hi all!

SouthSerb99, so would Red Star Belgrade fans be saddened that a Serbian team choked (Serbian patrotism prevails over crosstown rivalty) or woould they be pleased that Partizan bit the dust (crosstown rivalry prevails over Serbian patriotism)?

Be well!

MBZ

[url=htt
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2005, 05:39:52 PM »

Any real hardcore Delije (name for Red Star fans), would not shed a tear for Partizan's loss.  We can never cheer for them, except when their players are on the national team and play well (like Mateja Kezman ... he's from Partizan stock). LOL

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Tags: The Da Vinci Code Dan Brown 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: