Author Topic: How every of us celebrate Christmas?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
How every of us celebrate Christmas?
« on: December 23, 2016, 04:22:00 AM »

At my country on Christmas Eve we prepare odd number dishes. And it is celebrate in the home, it is silent family feast.
And in the next day on Christmas there is table with meat.

I wish you merry Christmas!

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: How every of us celebrate Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 04:49:05 AM »

At my country on Christmas Eve we prepare odd number dishes. And it is celebrate in the home, it is silent family feast.

That sounds very pleasant! :)
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 07:01:36 AM »
In Brazil, all the extended family gets together in someone's home, everyone bringing dishes. Eating with the whole family is the heart of the thing, we always see those distant cousins and there are even some kinds of food we only eat at this time of the year. In some places, one can here fireworks on the Christmas night.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 10:33:33 AM »
I'm having dinner with my parents and cousins.

:)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mark 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 11:11:14 AM »
My wife's extended family (36 and counting) has tamales on Christmas Eve and one of the ordained men in the family leads a de facto service with a Gospel reading, homily and singing. The old people think the evening should definitely be somber, while the younger half (think 35-down) usually thinks should be joyful, leading to the funny two-speed rendering of Protestant Christmas hymn standards. Those who aren't tee-totalers usually sneak some kind of hooch into their punch even though the elders would definitely disapprove. Presents are opened; kids run through the house, alternating playing and fighting; one or two of the older uncles falls asleep in a chair long before everyone else.

Then we go back to our house, let the kids open a few gifts in the morning before we go to church and then follow it up with a breakfast feast and then a proper feast in the late afternoon.

In January, we have some Orthodox friends who come to stay with us every year for the Old Calendar and we have a second feast, though that's more of a coincidence of the timing of when they can come than an actual second Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:38:51 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 12:13:31 PM »
British Christmas is mostly about food and drink, although in our place I make sure nobody gets so stuffed or plastered that they fall asleep before the Queen's message. (Not because we make such a big deal of the message, but because 3pm is too early in the day to be incapacitated.)

We open presents first thing in the morning, have mimosas at breakfast, and the mister and I prepare dinner in full tandem. Which can be a lot of fun when we're already boozed up. ;D I'll eventually get them to switch to morning DL instead of Vespers! We'll watch a couple Christmas specials on TV (Strictly Come Dancing, Dr Who and Call the Midwife probably), maybe catch the Nine Lessons and Carols service on iPlayer if we miss the live broadcast tomorrow. On Boxing Day we'll be visiting with the in-laws, exchanging presents and getting creative with leftovers. By Tuesday I'll be ready to snoop about in the shops and see what festive leftovers we can get for cheap.

We'll have a second, more modest, round of presents on New Year's Day, per Greek custom, and this year I might even get around to bake a vasilopita.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 12:39:14 PM »
1. The day of Christmas Eve
a) Liturgy (it's also the 5th anniversary of my official conversion to the Orthodox Church, my chrismation and start of confessing to my priest)
b) Preparations
c) The Great Compline and Matins at my parish with my parents
d) Christmas fasting supper (before it strict fast) with my parents featuring traditional Polish dishes for this day (since in Serbian tradition there is also such supper, but there is no particular meal for it - it should be just lenten), started with the reading about the Christ's Nativity from the Bible, singing the Nativity troparion and breaking "opłatek" and prosphora" exchanging the greetings
e) gifts
f) Roman Catholic festal Nativity Mass (called in Polish "Pasterka") at midnight with my mum

2. The first Christmas Day
a) Liturgy at my parish with my father (hopefully)
b) Festal dinner breaking the fast featuring meat, fish and red wine, started by the chant of the Nativity canon and eating the prosphora and saying the greetings
c) visit to my sister, again eating and drinking, gifts, singing carols (mainly in Polish, since we have a lot of old, traditional, nice ones)

The next two days also started by Liturgies; on the second day we don't expect anybody, since many members of my family are dead, and with otehrs we are in quarrel unfortunately. Starting from the 3rd Christmas Day, on the next days I'll be meeting with my friends (at my home or at theirs, it depends on the case) to celebrate the Nativity together - so, eating, drinking and singing (Christmas carols and secular pieces, since it's been a long pause because of the fast ;) ).

We practice also some Serbian tradition, so e.g we put žito with a candle inside it.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 03:10:39 PM »
Insane amounts of cookies will be baked this day.  :)  We visit family Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, eat, open presents.  Reflection on the Nativity shows up in various ways.  No one is Orthodox, so services and fasting don't factor in.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 03:11:02 PM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 04:12:24 PM »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 06:09:07 PM »
Would you travel to Russia and spend a couple of months there? ...

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »

Yes. 

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »

Yes.

Moscow Square? ...

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »

Yes.

Moscow Square? ...

Well, I don't know if I want to live in the actual square, but Moscow seems as good a place as any in Russia to visit.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 08:05:45 PM »
Growing up in the Bulgarian Church (Old Calendar) in Istanbul, Turkey, we sort of adopted some "foreign" guilty pleasures, like gift giving on New Year's Eve, when we were also allowed the one and only instance of gambling with cards or a dreidel. On New Year's Eve, we also had a special round banitsa that had a coin in one of the segments; the idea being the the person who got the coin would have a prosperous New Year.

Going forward, the week before Nativity was fasting, with the Christmas Eve meal being only nuts and fruits. The day before Christmas we bought, set up and decorated the tree. The morning of Nativity, the kids got up real early, donned shepherd outfits and went caroling at the homes of Church members. One every four years or so, we would be blessed by snow, making the early morning a magical time. After the Divine Liturgy, we would go home for the Feast.

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 08:05:58 PM »

Yes.

Moscow Square? ...

Well, I don't know if I want to live in the actual square, but Moscow seems as good a place as any in Russia to visit.

Sounds more like spelunking or expedition.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 09:25:18 PM »

Yes.

Moscow Square? ...

Sounds more like spelunking or expedition.

Has nothing to do with aphthartodocetism

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 10:05:12 PM »
Let's see, this year I went to Delaware to see my 3 kids. Missed Vespers because ex-mom-in-law bought dinner at a diner in town. Then kids opened some gifts, and I think ex-dad-in-law sang at midnight Mass. I spent Christmas morning at the Antiochian parish. Got back, skyped with my parents and brother so they could kind of see the kids, opened more presents. Christmas lunch was sandwiches from Royal Farms (only place open), except we found out they made the kids with SPAM of all things :o , so they had Lunchables instead. Dinner was Stouffer's lasagna.

Meanwhile, back at my empty rented house, the blue "Christmas" lights will be on until at least new-calendar Theopany. Also, I now have a stuffed pizza and ice cream that should last until we run out of fast-free days  :angel:

As a final bonus: I'll be Chrisimated on Classic Calendar Nativity...just not at a Classic Calendar Nativity Liturgy.
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 10:18:18 PM »
My Big Fat Syrian (and Armenian) Christmas style.  Fun stuff from the 24th to new years.  Merry Christmas.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 10:59:27 PM »
We celebrate with fire!!
The same as Serbs ;)

I love Serbs, great people with great taste.

Probably our nations have something in common. That's not a coincidence that st. Nicholas Velimirovich has written "Indian letters". And I used to study Indology, but I'm a tiny grain or whatever.

My Big Fat Syrian (and Armenian) Christmas style.  Fun stuff from the 24th to new years.  Merry Christmas.
I'm jealous.

As a final bonus: I'll be Chrisimated on Classic Calendar Nativity...just not at a Classic Calendar Nativity Liturgy.
Whatever is classic... I was  chrismated (and received confession and the Eucharist) on the (new calendar) Nativity vigil.

Offline TaiKamiya720

• Favorite link: Relevant Magazine
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian(Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD/EP of Constantinople
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 05:24:34 PM »
I am going to an ACROD Church that uses the Old Calendar. This means their Christmas is today! However, I still celebrated Catholic/Secular Christmas on December 25 by exchanging gifts and gathering with my extended family. That day, I got some nice presents like this year, I got a VR headset and an Amazon 10 Tablet.
Today on January 7, I celebrated the Nativity by, of course, going to Liturgy and having their brunch. Tonight Ill feast by going to a Japanese buffet with some of my friends and some of my fellow parishioners.
On Dec. 25, I exchange gifts and gather with extended family. On Jan 7 I focus mostly in Christ's Birth and the big feast.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 05:26:22 PM by TaiKamiya720 »

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 05:34:06 PM »

Americans have mostly lost Christmas traditions. They do buy great numbers of toys for their children, tho, and buy a tree.

The religious group I grew up in did not observe Christmas. Pagan, papish, that sort of thing. So no church even. My family privately read the scriptures and had a nice meal.

Nowadays I go to Divine Liturgy and we try to get together with godparents later in the day. I personally don't buy toys, but the girls get something from their mother and grandparents. I'd like to learn more about traditional ways to celebrate in Orthodox nations. Thanks for starting (and continuing) this thread.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 07:57:43 PM »
On Boxing Day we'll be visiting with the in-laws, exchanging presents...
Please, let us know about whom won this boxing match.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »
On Boxing Day we'll be visiting with the in-laws, exchanging presents...
Please, let us know about whom won this boxing match.

Why, the one who got the biggest box, naturally. :D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 04:43:43 PM »
I personally don't buy toys, but the girls get something from their mother and grandparents.

Our practice is three presents, because that's what Jesus got. And while we tend to make them something we would not normally give, we don't go too big on expenditures. We also don't do the "something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read" thing since we buy clothes as needed anyway and our family tradition is to give books on St. Nicholas' Day and chances are we have bought them plenty of books during the year.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.