Author Topic: baptism  (Read 2878 times)

Offline FalseAccount

• kst
baptism
« on: September 06, 2005, 02:00:46 AM »
what orthodox churches consider the Lutheran practice of sprinkling baby's as a legitimate baptism? it was in the name of the trinity but does it really count from a Lutheran minister?

i will introduce myself a bit and give you a history of me.

i long ago rejected protestant and catholic version of religion and for many years was a agnostic since 17 i am now in my early 30S. i always believed in god but was taught about Christ in a way that i felt was incorrect and wanted nothing to do with protestant religion and just thought it was not my style. since my parents deaths i have had a major change of heart.

all i have read about orthodoxy i can understand it and agree with it and i have no issues with any thing in orthodox doctrine. in fact all my doubts and missunderstanding would have nullified if i had been introduced to orthodox faith at the time.
my German Lutheran minister told me i should find a faith and follow it. i never found a faith i liked till i found orthodoxy i read them all the one i did like allot was hare Krishna's i read lots of their books i even chanted and attempted follow it to a point but i still eat meat occasionally but in reality they are much like orthodox Christians. my grand father was orthodox but he died before i was born. my mother told me about the church though.

like the hare Krishna chanting i love to pray the Jesus prayer, it does for me all the the Krishna's promised that their chanting would. though that Hindu chanting is worthless and did nothing for me, but my day runs so smoothly and evenly when i am chanting the Jesus prayer driving working and lounging around.ÂÂ  i do my morning prayers and evening prayers from my eastern orthodox prayer book except the patron saint ones and the guardian angel since i don't have them yet. my favorite book is "the art of prayer", it reads like a yogi wrote it, all the orthodox fathers writings read like a yogis but 1000 times better. i feel like a real yogi practicing Orthodox study and prayer. everything that the Hindus promise as far as mediatation and chanting i feel now with orthodoxy, not to the extent it could be but as my heart becomes purer i am sure i will advance to more true spirituality. the Hindus have nothing on the orthodox Christians.

i have all the beginners books and i am starting to attend a GO church recently my wife and i like the priest allot. but i did go to a Russian orthodox church for a month but found a that it was too small (5-10 total people), no sunday school for my child and unstructured (we were lost in the sauce, my wife was honestly freaked out by the priest at that church she felt like she was under a microscope, i think he just was crazy is all, along with things he said, i refuse to go into that but he was different to say the least, Rasputin comes to mind.
the GO priest was mad at the things he said and called him a militant.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 03:54:58 AM by Thomas »

Offline djrak

• "Do not put out the Spirit's fire" - 1 Thess 5:19
    • In Flames of Fire
Re: baptism
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 05:18:38 AM »
but my day runs so smoothly and evenly when i am chanting the Jesus prayer driving working and lounging around.ÂÂ
hey that's what i do too!
it's an endless journey into the depths of orthodoxy isnt it? you cant get enough of it but yet you are at peace and satisfied with your faith, all questions are being answered and those that dont you have no problem with leaving them for later (unlike when you cant sleep/eat/drink when something about your faith is troubling you)

welcome!
"Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" - John 14:9

Offline choirfiend

• ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
  • High Elder
  • Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 05:23:31 AM »
That is determined by the bishop of the area in which you reside. Beccause Lutheran theology is known and you were baptised with water in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the form of your baptism would most likely be accepted. All that was missing will be filled through the Grace of the Holy Spirit in Chrismation. If for some reason the form is not accepted (uncertain) the Grace of the Holy Spirit will still fill you. God bless!
Qui cantat, bis orat

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 03:09:58 PM »
If a Lutheran or any other Protestant is baptized by SPRINKLING it can not under any circumstance be accepted. Pouring is a different matter as the Russians have equated pouring with immersion historically, and most Lutheran ministers I know of baptize in this manner.

Anastasios
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 03:10:45 PM by Anastasios »
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Fr. David

• The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 05:12:57 PM »
Yeah, though unfortunately even sprinkling is given the OK for chrismation only in some areas.

(Oh, for a firey-angry "smiley" right now...)
Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)

Offline mihailos

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 02:45:43 AM »
Baptism outside ORthodox Curch is not valid because those "bishops" have no apostolic succesion and there is ONE CHURCH,ONE CHRIST and ONE SPIRIT that descended at the Pentecost on the Orthodox Church.
 However, in some special circumstances,the trinitarian baptism is accepted only if completed by ointing for new converts into the Orthodox Church.
salvation is not a matter of intellectual acceptance of truth

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 03:07:17 AM »
If a Lutheran or any other Protestant is baptized by SPRINKLING it can not under any circumstance be accepted. Pouring is a different matter as the Russians have equated pouring with immersion historically, and most Lutheran ministers I know of baptize in this manner.
It happens sometimes, that "sprinkling" and "pouring" can be very hard/impossible to distinghish one from another.
Back home, our Church baptizes by pouring/sprinkling (one can take it  either way, since a bit of water is poured on the forehead of the baby) but never by immersion-at least the local priests.
So, would we qualify as "Orthodox", or should we get the "proper baptism"?
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 03:14:22 AM »
It happens sometimes, that "sprinkling" and "pouring" can be very hard/impossible to distinghish one from another.
Back home, our Church baptizes by pouring/sprinkling (one can take it  either way, since a bit of water is poured on the forehead of the baby) but never by immersion-at least the local priests.

Where is "back home"? Do you mean an Orthodox parish (are you Orthodox)?  Just trying to get my facts straight.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 03:20:07 AM »
Romania, more specifically, Transylvania.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 04:24:36 AM »

I've never yet seen a baptism done by sprinkling or pouring in Romania. Is this really normal in your area? I have heard of it being done by economy in very cold winters but that is all. Admittedly the vast majority of my experience has been in Bucovina, which is the opposite side of the country from you, but our parish priest (here in the UK) is from somewhere close to Timisoara (I forget the name of the place) and he certainly baptised my daughter with three complete immersions.

James
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 07:09:34 AM »
 I am locking this old topic and would request that you provide further discussion in the "Baptism Question" forum discussion currently going on that is based on a more current (by date) question.

Thanks,
Thomas
Convert Issues Moderator.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 07:10:36 AM by Thomas »
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas