Author Topic: Religious tolerance  (Read 623 times)

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Religious tolerance
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:59:32 PM »
On the subject of religious toleration, this is naturally something I support, given that most of the horrors in the history of the Christian faith can be attributed to a lack thereof,

There are very slight edge cases where the need for tolerance seems to be outweighed by security-related considerations.  The most obvious is in the case of abusive cults; we can think of the disasters of Jim Jones and the People's Temple, or the Australian "Family," or fundamentalist Mormons; beyond that I think legal sanctions against Scientology are entirely warranted.

The other edge case seems to exist with regards to religions which desire the violent destruction of others, specifically some forms of Islam, e.g. Salafism.  I do not see any need to regard all of Islam with the same alarm one might reserve for Scientology, but certainly there is a need to exert some control over those elements of Islam which one might regard as "fundamentalist." 
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Religious tolerance
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 09:51:01 PM »
If others are tolerant, then I am. If not, then I am not. I don't care what people believe, as long as they don't tell me what to believe.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 11:28:12 PM »
If others are tolerant, then I am. If not, then I am not. I don't care what people believe, as long as they don't tell me what to believe.

This seems reasonable and appropriate.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 03:33:32 PM »
This is a good parameter, plus the abusive cults wgw mentioned. I'm also positive about limiting the expansion resources of Heterodoxy and non-Christianity on massively Orthodox countries (or even in countries with a deep-rooted Orthodox population like Syria, to protect Orthodox population, just like the Ottoman Empire did sometimes). Not limiting the will of people who wish to convert, but limiting the access of missionaries to propaganda.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth