Author Topic: Council of Chalcedon Re-examined?  (Read 705 times)

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Council of Chalcedon Re-examined?
« on: December 07, 2016, 08:08:50 AM »
I've thought of picking it up, but I don't know what the contents are. Is this just about theological and christological issues, or does he go over the history also?

Is it solely about Chalcedon, or does it mention the broader historical context?  I want to know what I'll be getting.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

• Taxiarches
Christology and the Council of Chalcedon
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:17:33 AM »
If anyone wants to reply to the former comment, that's fine. I got the answer I was looking for after using Google.  :P

Any recommendations of Fr. Shenouda's book Christology and the Council of Chalcedon in light of what I said above would be equally appreciated.

I think I'll probably get the book of Fr. V.C. Samuel. Seems like a really good read.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
Re: Council of Chalcedon Re-examined?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 06:36:43 AM »
Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined is a good book. I highly recommend it. Indeed I am the one who republished it.

http://www.lulu.com/gb/en/shop/father-vc-samuel/the-council-of-chalcedon-re-examined/paperback/product-194480.html
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Christology and the Council of Chalcedon
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 11:08:50 AM »
If anyone wants to reply to the former comment, that's fine. I got the answer I was looking for after using Google.  :P

Any recommendations of Fr. Shenouda's book Christology and the Council of Chalcedon in light of what I said above would be equally appreciated.

I think I'll probably get the book of Fr. V.C. Samuel. Seems like a really good read.

Fr. Shenouda's book I would consider more of a textbook reference on anti-Chalcedonian theology.  He is very very thorough on all aspects of theology using pre and post-Chalcedonian sources.  To say "very very thorough" is underestimated by the way.  It is perhaps more accurate to consider it close to an encyclopedia than a chapter by chapter readable book.  You can of course still read it, but it is structured in such a way to easily get to areas of the book regarding use of "nature", "energy", "will", etc.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 11:10:58 AM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
Related to the above, have any of you read Price's essay collection Chalcedon in Context?
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 05:31:04 PM »
I have the book, I have not cracked it open yet.  But I have read his introductory essay to the minutes of Chalcedon, and I thought it was well thought out and objective.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Tonedawg

• Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 01:31:39 AM »
Related to the above, have any of you read Price's essay collection Chalcedon in Context?

This is the book where Price calls St. Dioscorus "the Athanasius of his age."
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 01:32:01 AM by Tonedawg »
“How needful the human being is of service of the spirit, in an age where materialism, atheism, apostasy and deviant intellectual trends prevail. How needful people are to see Christ in our lives and to smell His sweet fragrance in us." St. Kyrillos (Cyril) VI

• Taxiarches
Re: Christology and the Council of Chalcedon
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 01:53:29 AM »

Fr. Shenouda's book I would consider more of a textbook reference on anti-Chalcedonian theology.  He is very very thorough on all aspects of theology using pre and post-Chalcedonian sources.  To say "very very thorough" is underestimated by the way.  It is perhaps more accurate to consider it close to an encyclopedia than a chapter by chapter readable book.  You can of course still read it, but it is structured in such a way to easily get to areas of the book regarding use of "nature", "energy", "will", etc.

That was my understanding as well. Fr. V.C. Samuel seems to have a more historical reading which is what I am looking for. Fr. Shenouda seems to be following a more theological reading.