Author Topic: Genocide Denial Goes Viral: 'The Promise' And The IMDB  (Read 625 times)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
Genocide Denial Goes Viral: 'The Promise' And The IMDB
« on: November 26, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »
This is an interesting article about efforts to suppress the distribution of a movie about the Armenian Genocide:

Writing this is dangerous: Speaking out on the Armenian Genocide means taking a huge risk. At the very least, it will be an exhausting experience, getting harassed online, trolled, threatened, down-rated on Amazon and publicly vilified. Until now, this was true mainly for individuals—academics, artists and activists. Now, it seems to apply to Hollywood movies, too...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2016/11/14/genocide-denial-goes-viral-the-promise-and-the-imdb/#1eefd5e43ca7

It's too bad.  The movie stars Christian Bale and I was looking forward to seeing it. 

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Genocide Denial Goes Viral: 'The Promise' And The IMDB
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 06:49:18 PM »
Indeed.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 09:16:16 PM »
Is it OK to acknowledge the fact that Turks are systematically giving the film negative reviews, while also saying that The Promise is objectively not a very good film? Because that seems to be the reception across the board. I'll admit to only watching the trailer and reading a slew of reviews with plot summaries, but this project, for all its good intentions, isn't great. One can throw all the money you want at a worthy, historically important project, and still fall woefully short...

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 04:19:45 PM »
I'll admit to only watching the trailer and reading a slew of reviews with plot summaries, but this project, for all its good intentions, isn't great.

Such a definitive opinion just based on watching the trailer and reading other people's opinions?
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »
Is it OK to acknowledge the fact that Turks are systematically giving the film negative reviews, while also saying that The Promise is objectively not a very good film? Because that seems to be the reception across the board. I'll admit to only watching the trailer and reading a slew of reviews with plot summaries, but this project, for all its good intentions, isn't great. One can throw all the money you want at a worthy, historically important project, and still fall woefully short...

I sympathize with your question, but I think there's a deliberate attempt to downrate it:

Over the last weeks it has attracted over 91,000 votes, largely split between ten- and one-star votes. The majority, over 57,000, are one-star votes.

When surveys in college were passed around, any "extreme" or "consistent" answers were more likely to be ignored, which means they didn't even read the survey and take the time to answer each question honestly.  91,000 votes based mostly on 1's and 10's means they didn't pay attention to the movie's content, but seem to have underlying agendas.  If there was a variety of like 5's, 6's, 7's etc, then your point would have more substance, but there is rarely a movie that receives the worst and best reviews at the same time.  That means the votes are flawed and not objective.

Here are the IMDB user reviews for people to judge themselves:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4776998/reviews?ref_=m_tt_urv
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:46:23 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.