Author Topic: Modern Greek Bible  (Read 804 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Modern Greek Bible
« on: November 20, 2016, 02:17:06 PM »
Is there any Modern Greek translation of the Bible written in such a way to be the nearest possible to original Koine Greek? I'm specially expecting NT, but LXX-based OT would be good.
"Now therefore, when thou didst pray, and Sara thy daughter in law, I did bring the remembrance of your prayers before the Holy One: and when thou didst bury the dead, I was with thee likewise." (Righteous Tobit 12:12)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: Modern Greek Bible
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 10:30:26 PM »
Is there any Modern Greek translation of the Bible written in such a way to be the nearest possible to original Koine Greek? I'm specially expecting NT, but LXX-based OT would be good.
You mean Katharevousa?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 10:39:43 PM »
You mean Katharevousa?
Demotic would be more useful. I'd like to read the Bible in Modern Greek since I'm trying to learn some of it, but in such a way to be the most equivalent to the Koine possible.
"Now therefore, when thou didst pray, and Sara thy daughter in law, I did bring the remembrance of your prayers before the Holy One: and when thou didst bury the dead, I was with thee likewise." (Righteous Tobit 12:12)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 11:17:18 PM »
You mean Katharevousa?
Demotic would be more useful. I'd like to read the Bible in Modern Greek since I'm trying to learn some of it, but in such a way to be the most equivalent to the Koine possible.
See if this is what you had in mine. I have a more complete pdf version.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/311813787/%CE%97-%CE%91%CE%B3%CE%AF%CE%B1-%CE%93%CF%81%CE%B1%CF%86%CE%AE-%CE%BC%CE%B5-%CF%84%CE%B1-%CE%94%CE%B5%CF%85%CF%84%CE%B5%CF%81%CE%BF%CE%BA%CE%B1%CE%BD%CE%BF%CE%BD%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%AC-Pdf
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 11:40:46 PM »
You mean Katharevousa?
See if this is what you had in mine. I have a more complete pdf version.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/311813787/%CE%97-%CE%91%CE%B3%CE%AF%CE%B1-%CE%93%CF%81%CE%B1%CF%86%CE%AE-%CE%BC%CE%B5-%CF%84%CE%B1-%CE%94%CE%B5%CF%85%CF%84%CE%B5%CF%81%CE%BF%CE%BA%CE%B1%CE%BD%CE%BF%CE%BD%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%AC-Pdf
More or less, I can see a couple of excerpts where they could have used forms nearer to the Koine... but this is good.

Offline Alkis

• All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »
As a Greek, I have 2 Bibles. The one is in the original text of koine greek and the other is a translation in new greek. From new greek, I have the book that you have posted here. It has many mistakes in translation. Even now I find many mistakes that would lead someone to heresies or bad interpretation and understandings. Generally it is a nice work but it needs to be careful. I would suggest this. It is both the original and translation to kathareuousa by an orthodox bishop. http://www.imgap.gr/file1/AG-Pateres/PDhiathiki1.html
For You keep my lamp burning; Lord my God You illumine my darkness. (Psalm 17:29)