Author Topic: What exactly does vigil mean in orthodoxy?  (Read 603 times)

Offline Ant

• Faith: Church of The East
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
What exactly does vigil mean in orthodoxy?
« on: November 20, 2016, 12:42:56 AM »
St. Isaac spoke of night vigil a ton, but what exactly did he mean by it? What did any of the saints mean by it? Was it just a staying up during times you're usually sleeping? Meaning, literally just staying awake, not necessarily praying but simply being silent? Was it prayer during times you're usually sleeping? Or both?

Also, is this practice meant strictly for monks? Those who have renounced the world and all that is in it? Or can this be used for laymen, who are still living in the world and are a part of much that is in it?

If any of you could please back what you say using any written works from the saints, I would greatly appreciate it. However, please feel free to share what you know, even if you're unable to substantiate it.

Thank you.

Offline benjohn146

• Elder
    • Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Belleville, Ontario, Canada
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Toronto
Re: What exactly does vigil mean in orthodoxy?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 06:09:13 PM »
Interesting question and i am curious about what the OC.net community have to say on this!
St Makarios, pray for us.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 06:15:21 PM »
Saint Isaac was referring to a practice meant for individual monks to stay up all night in prayer. I don't think there was a prescribed universal formula for it. His spiritual counsels seem to be targeted to a monastic audience- taken out of context, Saint Isaac can sound very pessimistic about lay life. In Orthodoxy there is also the liturgical practice of all-night vigil which is a combination of vespers and matins that theoretically can last all not get but often actually doesn't.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 06:16:25 PM by Iconodule »
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline JTLoganville

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »
Vigils are comprised of the Offices in their fullest forms flowing one after another; 9th Hour, Vespers, Great Compline, Midnight Office, Orthros.   For example, a full Vespers would include all of the Kathismata (sitting Psalms); like wise for Orthros along with the full version of the Canon of the day.   Depending on the tempo and floridity of the chanters these could easily fill six hours.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 10:11:53 PM »
It refers to an ancient combination of Vespers, Orthros and 1st hour which should no longer be part of modern faith and practice especially here in the states because too many Orthodox people think that spending more than an hour and a half at church is just totally unacceptable.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:18:32 PM »
Vigils are comprised of the Offices in their fullest forms flowing one after another; 9th Hour, Vespers, Great Compline, Midnight Office, Orthros.   For example, a full Vespers would include all of the Kathismata (sitting Psalms); like wise for Orthros along with the full version of the Canon of the day.   Depending on the tempo and floridity of the chanters these could easily fill six hours.

I believe the Old Believers include Little Vespers after 9th hour, followed by the Great Vespers. I think they would use Small Compline in the context of the Vigil.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 11:27:26 PM »
Midnight remembrance and the prayer leading to Repentance
Learn meditation.