Author Topic: A prayer for an erring brother  (Read 379 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
A prayer for an erring brother
« on: November 18, 2016, 07:44:48 PM »
I find this: that if the little red prayerbook is missing one essential prayer, that it is a prayer for an erring brother.

Does anyone have a go-to ?

Or is it to discourage us from becoming pre-programmed, something like that?
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Re: A prayer for an erring brother
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 10:59:15 AM »
Take another look at page 18: A PRAYER (of parents for their children and) FOR RELATIVES AND FRIENDS

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 03:31:17 PM »
This is a prayer from the Old Rite:

To pray for someone more diligently:

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on Thy servant(s) ________, [bow]

Deliver him (her, them) from every tribulation, wrath and need [bow],

From every sickness of soul and body, [bow]

Forgive him (her, them) every transgression, voluntary and involuntary, [bow]

And do whatever is profitable for our souls. [bow].

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 04:40:56 PM »
It occurred to me that perhaps I might say the Jesus Prayer for an erring brother.

"Oh Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon my brother/sister/father/son/friend/enemy [Name], a sinner."

:D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:20:57 PM by mcarmichael »

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 12:59:12 AM »
I dunno. I did it twice today, and neither experience seemed horrible. I wasn't struck by lightning, if that still means anything.

Once for an individual, once for a colleague and his household. In the second case I actually did use the phraseology, "sinners all". They've been going through what would seem to be a bit of a rough patch, plus all of his kids are "of age", so, he definitely could use it, I think. :D

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:48:21 PM »

...be sure you don't only pray for other sinners, but, for yourself, a sinner, as well.

Don't overly focus on what others are doing wrong.  Pray instead for their well-being, that the Lord help them through their difficulties, grant them strength and good health.

I just have an issue with labeling other people as "sinners"....with the chance of missing out that we, ourselves, are sinners....and probably worse sinners than those we are labeling as sinners.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria