Foreign Language Forums > Slavic Languages

I need your help to find a Bible in Church Slavonic

(1/3) > >>

RaphaCam:
I don't know if this request would be too insolent and weird, but I'd like to find an Elizabethan Bible in an acceptable price, but my Russian is too basic and I don't know any Serbian, Polish, Bulgarian, etc., plus I have never bought books in any Eastern European site, and I imagine those would show the best prices despite the fact that their importing fee would probably be more expensive than importing from the US. Can any of you do me a quick search or indicate a good link, pretty please?  ;D  I will probably be able find my way through it with Google Translate, but first I need the link.

rakovsky:

--- Quote from: RaphaCam on November 02, 2016, 04:07:07 PM ---I don't know if this request would be too insolent and weird, but I'd like to find an Elizabethan Bible in an acceptable price, but my Russian is too basic and I don't know any Serbian, Polish, Bulgarian, etc., plus I have never bought books in any Eastern European site, and I imagine those would show the best prices despite the fact that their importing fee would probably be more expensive than importing from the US. Can any of you do me a quick search or indicate a good link, pretty please?  ;D  I will probably be able find my way through it with Google Translate, but first I need the link.

--- End quote ---

For the Old Testament, I admit, I like the KJV the best because my native language is English. Sometimes in Russian I have to guess at meanings, because it's not my native language.

The Church Slavic Bible is online for free here:
http://www.my-bible.info/biblio/bib_tsek/

However, I think this is not the best thing for you to do unless you speak a slavic language that uses Cyrillic.
The Church Slavic Bible is based on the Greeks' Bible - the LXX in Greek and the NT in Greek. So if you are aiming to have the "best", "closest" Orthodox translation and don't care about the language, buy a Bible in Greek from a Greek Church in Brazil.

I don't see much advantage for you to use any typical English Bible over the Latin vulgate, which you can probably make out, being from Brazil. English Bibles in fact have a huge source origin in the Latin Vulgate. Some words were even invented from Latin into English for this purpose. You might as well just go tot he source, I think.

In other words, Biblical Greek is "closest traditional Orthodox", but I think a Latin Bible is the best for you unless you want to do alot of translating from Greek or Slavic.

RaphaCam:
I already own a Greek NT. I don't have the physical AT yet, but this is because: a) I have some awesome interfaces for it on the computer, one of them better than any printed edition I'm aware of; b) I'm being very picky choosing between different editions of the LXX since it's important and maybe I'll need to save a lot of money for my chosen one, while for the Slavonic anything with the original Elizabethan text would be OK.

I'm using the Slavonic Bible to check when I have a doubt concerning my translation from Greek to Portuguese. For instance: yesterday I found an occurrence of "eis telos" (literally, "to the end") which the NETS translated as "completely" and the SAAS/OSB as "forevermore". I checked the Slavonic Bible online and it used "v konetz", which I knew to mean "to the end", so I realised that if the Slavonic used "to the end", my first assumption was right. The Vulgate also used "in finem", but sometimes it chooses things that aren't on the LXX but are on the MT, since its AT is a recension mixing both the LXX and the MT. But this is just the last example, I very frequently recur to the Elizabethan Bible to solve some issue.

Later on, I found out the Coptic Bible also used "to the end ("sa ebol"), but this was incredibly hard to find out since I don't know any Coptic.

Also, I collect Bibles, and I would greatly enjoy having a Slavonic one with me.

rakovsky:

--- Quote from: RaphaCam on November 02, 2016, 05:07:03 PM ---I already own a Greek NT. I don't have the physical AT yet, but this is because: a) I have some awesome interfaces for it on the computer, one of them better than any printed edition I'm aware of; b) I'm being very picky choosing between different editions of the LXX since it's important and maybe I'll need to save a lot of money for my chosen one, while for the Slavonic anything with the original Elizabethan text would be OK.

--- End quote ---
Queen Elizabeth was in England not Russia. I don't understand you.

I don't think that any Russian old slavic text or anything else is going to be better than an Orthodox-approved greek LXX in the original language.

--- Quote ---I'm using the Slavonic Bible to check when I have a doubt concerning my translation from Greek to Portuguese. For instance: yesterday I found an occurrence of "eis telos" (literally, "to the end") which the NETS translated as "completely" and the SAAS/OSB as "forevermore". I checked the Slavonic Bible online and it used "v konetz", which I knew to mean "to the end", so I realised that if the Slavonic used "to the end", my first assumption was right. The Vulgate also used "in finem", but sometimes it chooses things that aren't on the LXX but are on the MT, since its AT is a recension mixing both the LXX and the MT. But this is just the last example, I very frequently recur to the Elizabethan Bible to solve some issue.
--- End quote ---
OK. Good idea then to check Slavic Bibles for deep translation studies.

--- Quote ---
Later on, I found out the Coptic Bible also used "to the end ("sa ebol"), but this was incredibly hard to find out since I don't know any Coptic.

Also, I collect Bibles, and I would greatly enjoy having a Slavonic one with me.

--- End quote ---
I think if you want a hardcopy you'll have to order one or make phone calls/email to Russian-speaking churches in Brazil, since they use the Slavonic Bible.

RaphaCam:

--- Quote from: rakovsky on November 02, 2016, 05:52:05 PM ---Queen Elizabeth was in England not Russia. I don't understand you.

--- End quote ---
Actually, there was a Queen Elizabeth in Russia, and she organised the ultimate recension of the Church Slavonic Bible.

--- Quote ---I think if you want a hardcopy you'll have to order one or make phone calls/email to Russian-speaking churches in Brazil, since they use the Slavonic Bible.

--- End quote ---
Good idea, I should definitely look for some Russian-speaking churches around Brazil, I found out the one in Rio doesn't sell Bibles but there are others I could look too. I don't know of any Ukrainian or Serbian churches using Slavonic as a custom, though...

But, still, I'm sure one can find Slavonic bibles at very good prices in Eastern Europe, and maybe the importation fees would be worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version