Author Topic: Does Carbon-14 Dating Disprove the Bible? - Via answersingenesis.org  (Read 7267 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Catholic
Does anyone Orthodox like this group? I heard that they are building a giant Ark somewhere in Arkansas, something like that. I wonder if they plan to launch it, and offer tours or something. I wonder how far from the Mississippi they are, and what the cost would be, too.

Anyway, they did a presentation at my parents church a while back, and I thought it was pretty good. Here is the their thing about Carbon Dating: https://answersingenesis.org/geology/carbon-14/doesnt-carbon-14-dating-disprove-the-bible/
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Does Carbon-14 Dating Disprove the Bible? - Via answersingenesis.org
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 10:22:09 PM »
Nope. I've disliked them for a very long time. The Bible is not a science book.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 12:02:45 AM »
Really you are creating for yourself an unnecessary task. I have trouble understanding why it's so super important for fundamentalists to prove the world is only 6000 to 5000 years old. St Augustine said that no one but God has any idea what the "days" of Creation were like. A day for God is like 1000 for Man, the good book says. It becomes a fools errand to prove and  teach as doctrine that we could measure the cosmos with a stopwatch and have it come out to less than 6000 years.

Other than that, your presentation was well researched.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 12:54:43 AM »
Alexa, what religion should I be a part of?

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »
I like some of their articles I've come across, but I don't see the point of their task. Sure, someone must be there to defend this point, but their approach seems to imply that anyone who's not YEC isn't a Christian, or that the Bible is more about bones and stones than about Christ and salvation.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:13:16 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:09:56 PM »
answersingenesis is a fantastic read if you need a good laugh.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 01:50:22 PM »
Sure, someone must be there to defend this poin

Why?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »
Why?
Because they have valid points other people don't dare to make. As a Brazilian writer has said, every unanimity is stupid.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 02:02:32 PM »
Why?
Because they have valid points other people don't dare to make. As a Brazilian writer has said, every unanimity is stupid.

stupid is to believe every argument has some truth in it.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 02:18:21 PM »
stupid is to believe every argument has some truth in it.
You're saying if unanimity is undesirable, therefore no argument is completely wrong. This is not what unanimity is about. How will you know when something is true enough for unanimity to be OK if there are no questions, no testing, no falsiability?

There must always be dialogue, otherwise we may take sore mistakes as unquestionable truth. And although I'm not a YEC, I believe Adam, Eve and Noah are actual people. So I read what Answers in Genesis has to say with a pinch of salt, but this doesn't mean they're 100% wrong or worthless.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:39:17 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »
sighhhhhhhhhhhh
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 03:01:12 PM »
Does anyone Orthodox like this group? I heard that they are building a giant Ark somewhere in Arkansas, something like that. I wonder if they plan to launch it, and offer tours or something. I wonder how far from the Mississippi they are, and what the cost would be, too.

Anyway, they did a presentation at my parents church a while back, and I thought it was pretty good. Here is the their thing about Carbon Dating: https://answersingenesis.org/geology/carbon-14/doesnt-carbon-14-dating-disprove-the-bible/

I think that a lot of time and resources were wasted on a fool's errand. Entertaining, but ultimately foolish.

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 06:35:38 PM »
Nope. I've disliked them for a very long time. The Bible is not a science book.

It's not a science book, but you could say it is a history book, or it contains historical stuff. I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on YEC (for example in the Letter to the Hebrews it says "there remaineth therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God.", and the Lord Jesus said "My Father worketh unto this day...."), however they do provide an interesting perspective, imho. Very interesting.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:02:59 PM by mcarmichael »
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 07:37:16 PM »
It's not a science book, but you could say it is a history book, or it contains historical stuff. I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on YEC (for example in the Letter to the Hebrews it says "there remaineth therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God.", and the Lord Jesus said "My Father worketh unto this day...."), however they do provide an interesting perspective, imho. Very interesting.
I don't see the spiritual or academic value in proving or exploring scientifically the crudest guess of the length of days of Biblical Creation by a stopwatch.

It's not just you, I don't see why this is such a major, interesting topic for fundamentalists.

Why is it so interesting for fundamentalists whether the days would measure billions or trillions of years by a stopwatch or not?

Is it spiritually inspiring if it was exactly 24 hours by our watch in 2016 on earth?
Is it academically, scientifically interesting?
If so, your audience would have to be in a physics convention.

Let me tell you a story - when I was a kid I went to an Evangelical school and a school director made fun of how at science contests the public school teachers (he claimed) imagined that Evangelicals didn't believe in atomic particles. First of all, his joke used extreme hyperbole. And second of all, it really made me question, as a young person who tried to be very serious about studying actual science and education, whether the public school teachers had a pretty good reason for why they would have this supposed misperception.

Rather than using real methods of science to figure out the age of the earth and teach students about it, it was like (1) making a goal of a predetermined "discovery", then, (2) in order to reach this "discovery", trying to prove why mainstream scientific theories were wrong, and finally, (3) teaching it in a Protestant Church as doctrine. It's the opposite of science.

Let me tell you another story: At school, the text book said that in the early days of the world, the continents were fused into a single mass. This is a common idea in mainstream science too. But the textbook also claimed that the world was under 5800 years old. Remember that the pyramids and lengthy Egyptian literature existed over 4500 years ago. My question to the teacher was how did the continents move so fast, so that North America was on the opposite side of the globe from China and it looked this way already in very ancient times? Her answer was "Go home and ask your father". So basically the Evangelical textbooks teach things that even the teacher could not teach.

I never have understood why teaching that the days of creation are measurable as 24 hours on a stopwatch is so "interesting" and important to Evangelicals in a religious or scientific context.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:49:11 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 07:54:20 PM »
It's not just you, I don't see why this is such a major, interesting topic for fundamentalists.

It's because they teach Evolution in the public school.
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 08:40:30 PM »

It's because they teach Evolution in the public school.
First of all, the anti-Evolutionist prosecutor W.J.Bryant in the famous "Scopes Monkey Trial" himself admitted under oath that he believed the world was more than 6000 years old. So Evolution and the Age of the Earth are two separate issues.

Secondly, I went to public highschool and Evolution was hardly emphasized and the teacher mentioned Creationism as an alternate legit view. But for fundamentalists, measuring the days of the world before creation this is important. Why?

Third, St. Augustine said that in his time only God knows the nature of of the "days" of Creation. And you pointed to contrary verses, admitting "I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on YEC". So why is it so important to fundamentalists to set a predetermined "answer" and then "scientifically" "prove" the "answer" in a religious context, not a scientific one?

Why pick the crudest interpretation of the days and then use an anti-scientific method to "prove" it? Rather than picking a hypothesis and testing it like in science, Creation "Science" picks a supposed absolute truth and then tries everything possible to prove that the untested "truth" is factual. Why do this to the length of days of Creation?

I mean, your presentation was well researched and thoughtful in its style. Why pick such a crude, unthoughtful method and goal that is theologically unstated? How is that inspiring spiritually or good educationally?
I've never understood it to this day.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:42:51 PM by rakovsky »

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 08:58:56 PM »

I mean, your presentation was well researched and thoughtful in its style. Why pick such a crude, unthoughtful method and goal that is theologically unstated? How is that inspiring spiritually or good educationally?[/b] I've never understood it to this day.

What?
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 09:33:08 PM »
What?
St. Augustine said that no one knows the nature of the days of Creation.

What is so important or inspiring to you to claim that they were exactly 24 hours on a modern stopwatch?

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 09:54:46 PM »
What?

What is so important or inspiring to you to claim that they were exactly 24 hours on a modern stopwatch?

I never said that. I didn't write this article, btw.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:58:24 PM by mcarmichael »
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 10:04:34 PM »

I never said that.

an interesting perspective, imho. Very interesting.

Why is this such a major or "very interesting" issue for fundamentalists?

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 10:05:43 PM »

I never said that.

ask a fundamentalist. I think it's neat.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:13:37 PM by mcarmichael »
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 10:18:36 PM »

I never said that.

ask a fundamentalist. I think it's boss.

So do the fundamentalists. Why do you guys think it's so neat?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:19:06 PM by rakovsky »

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 10:19:13 PM »

ask a fundamentalist. I think it's boss.

So do the fundamentalists. Why do you guys think it's neat?
Why ask why?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:19:56 PM by mcarmichael »
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2016, 10:34:08 PM »

it's boss.

Why do you guys think it's neat?
Why ask why?
Because If it's inspiring and worthwhile, then please share the inspiration with us, and if it's not, then the fundamentalists should devote their effort to something that is actually helpful.

And because here I was in a school setting, wanting to learn real science, and the textbook teaches that the world's continents sped across the globe and the teacher's explanation is "Ask your father".

Why is this kind of uninspiring nonsense so very neat and important? I don't see what you get out of it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:38:30 PM by rakovsky »

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2016, 10:43:44 PM »

I never said that.

I think one of the reasons it's important to them is that they believe that if the Earth is old, and other species have lived and died long before humans have, then death occurred before the fall, which is not desirable to them because they believe that there wasn't even physical death before the first sin. Spend some time on CARM, and you will find some YECs saying that we "Old-Earthers" and "Theistic Evolutionists" are "not taking God at His word" and "denying the clear truth revealed from the Scriptures." And depending on how far in the fundamentalist spectrum they are, they might even judge that all who interpret Genesis differently are condemned by that standard alone. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:44:03 PM by byhisgrace »
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2016, 10:59:29 PM »

As a former YEC, I strongly advise you not to dive into this. The evidence for an old Earth is not just founded on Carbon-14 dating alone, but also on dating of rocks, such as Uranium decaying into Argon. Answers in Genesis proposes that we make unwarranted assumptions, regarding the rate of decay and the initial state of decaying particles. And they might be right, but the caveat is that there is no rational reason to believe that the initial state of the rocks contained some Argon or stable Uranium. Plus, the decaying rate would have to be many orders of magnitude different from our inferences that AIG calls "assumptions," in order to have a significant effect on calculating the age of the rock. Conclusion? The calculated age of the rocks are pretty trustworthy, if not 100% accurate.

And besides all this, the alternative explanations of natural science proposed by AIG are based on so many ad-hoc hypotheses, that over time, I felt that I could not in good conscience hold on to that worldview. Of course, I'm just one with a B.S. degree in Physics, so you don't have to take my word for it. If you are still seriously considering it, though, I would advise you to check out the debate between Ken Ham and Bill Nye. It will give you a clear view of AIG's methodologies.   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:00:04 PM by byhisgrace »

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 11:05:27 PM »
If you are still seriously considering it, though, I would advise you to check out the debate between Ken Ham and Bill Nye. It will give you a clear view of AIG's methodologies.   
Here is the link. Thanks BHG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 11:50:07 PM »
As a former YEC, I strongly advise you not to dive into this. The evidence for an old Earth is not just founded on Carbon-14 dating alone, but also on dating of rocks, such as Uranium decaying into Argon. Answers in Genesis proposes that we make unwarranted assumptions, regarding the rate of decay and the initial state of decaying particles. And they might be right, but the caveat is that there is no rational reason to believe that the initial state of the rocks contained some Argon or stable Uranium. Plus, the decaying rate would have to be many orders of magnitude different from our inferences that AIG calls "assumptions," in order to have a significant effect on calculating the age of the rock. Conclusion? The calculated age of the rocks are pretty trustworthy, if not 100% accurate.

And besides all this, the alternative explanations of natural science proposed by AIG are based on so many ad-hoc hypotheses, that over time, I felt that I could not in good conscience hold on to that worldview. Of course, I'm just one with a B.S. degree in Physics, so you don't have to take my word for it. If you are still seriously considering it, though, I would advise you to check out the debate between Ken Ham and Bill Nye. It will give you a clear view of AIG's methodologies.   
Minor correction: The unstable Uranium decays into Lead, not Argon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:59:57 PM by byhisgrace »

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 11:58:54 PM »

Because If it's inspiring and worthwhile, then please share the inspiration with us, and if it's not, then the fundamentalists should devote their effort to something that is actually helpful.

And because here I was in a school setting, wanting to learn real science, and the textbook teaches that the world's continents sped across the globe and the teacher's explanation is "Ask your father".

Why is this kind of uninspiring nonsense so very neat and important? I don't see what you get out of it.

Are you still a child?
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2016, 02:03:29 PM »

It seems like Carbon-14 dating is being used in other applications besides determining the age of the universe, though...
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2016, 02:39:37 PM »
I heard that they are building a giant Ark somewhere in Arkansas, something like that.
It's in Kentucky.

I wonder if they plan to launch it, and offer tours or something.
If you look at the link above, you can see it's not exactly seaworthy. They do tours for the gullible and those who don't respect the hours they worked to earn the admission price.

I wonder how far from the Mississippi they are
Approximately 345 miles.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2016, 04:15:06 PM »
Let me explain why this has been so disconcerting for me, MCM. I don't want to believe in something that is obviously a lie and illusion. My mind can't handle this. It undermines everything else that is being presented to me by the illusionists.

Such illusions are not "boss". They are the opposite.

John Calvin in his commentaries on Bible verses said that the moon not only reflected the sun's light, it produced its own. He taught that the earth had real "pillars" and when the Great Flood came, it was through actually window holes in the sky. Not only that, but the earth was flat. Since he also taught that the sun was made on the fourth day, and since days actually vary in length by a stop watch and are not absolutely "24 hour" periods, how is it so clear that these were exact 24 hour periods?

For someone like me for whom the earth's sphericity is obvious, teaching things like flat earth science totally undermines what the teachers claim. And when they teach it to their churches and millions of people believe this kind of thing, it really undermines their reliability for all kinds of other claims that they teach in Church. Do you understand why teaching such an illusion to trusting believers as scientific fact is not "boss"?

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2016, 04:38:13 PM »
It seems like Carbon-14 dating is being used in other applications besides determining the age of the universe, though...

What?

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2016, 10:14:04 PM »

For someone like me for whom the earth's sphericity is obvious, teaching things like flat earth science totally undermines what the teachers claim. And when they teach it to their churches and millions of people believe this kind of thing, it really undermines their reliability for all kinds of other claims that they teach in Church. Do you understand why teaching such an illusion to trusting believers as scientific fact is not "boss"?

Did you read the article though? Are you an Evolutionist, or not?

Did you like the damn thing, or not? I can't tell, boss.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:15:04 PM by mcarmichael »
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2016, 10:44:23 PM »

What?
The Omo remains found in 1967 near the Ethiopian Kibish Mountains, have been dated as ca. 195,000 years old, making them the earliest human remains ever found. They are older than the remains found at Herto Bouri, Ethiopia (155-160,000 BP). Anatomically modern human remains of uncertain date, 90-190,000 years old.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_islands_by_first_human_settlement
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2016, 11:11:12 PM »

True. It can substantiate evolution, too. And just for the record, I believe in old Earth and evolution.

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 11:57:43 PM »

True. It can substantiate evolution, too. And just for the record, I believe in old Earth and evolution.

Yes. According to the article, Carbon-14 dating is only useful in determining the age of organic materials.
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2016, 01:08:07 AM »

Again, how is it used to "determine the age of the universe"? Or you have no idea what you are talking about, have you?

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2016, 01:12:26 AM »
Again, how is it used to "determine the age of the universe"?
It isn't. Sorry, I wasn't clear. Carbon-14 is used to determine the age of fossils. Some other types of radiometric decay, such as Uranium to Lead and Potassium to Argon, are used to determine the age of certain rocks/minerals.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 01:16:28 AM by byhisgrace »

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2016, 04:38:26 AM »
Did you read the article though?
I looked at the article, but after some problems in it near the beginning I did not read it in depth.

For example, it says in the beginning:
When a scientist’s interpretation of data does not match the clear meaning of the text in the Bible, we should never reinterpret the Bible. God knows just what He meant to say, and His understanding of science is infallible, whereas ours is fallible.
First of all, the writer is not Orthodox, so he is not necessarily teaching us what the Church has said over the last 1950 years. What is his personal authority to teach the world's Christians how they must interpret the Bible?

Second of all,  the author says that when scientific data doesn't match what he imagines is the supposed "clear" meaning, then we mustn't "reinterpret" it. Here is another fallacy, the fundamentalist idea that the Bible is a "clear" book by itself where we don't need to care what the Church has taught over the last 1950 years and eavh man's private interpretation is absolutely sufficient (which doesn't explain why there are so many interpretations at odds on the same verses).

Who is to say what is "clear" and what isn't? It's obviously "clear" to "Answers in Genesis" that the seven days of creation were measurable by a man-made stopwatch even before God made sun on the fourth day. Are you starting to realize the big problems here?

St. Augustine said that no one but God knows the nature of the days of Creation, and you yourself admitted that you aren't sold on YEC. So how can you accept the author's premise that the Bible's text has a "clear meaning" about this? What is so "boss" and "interesting" about this kind of thinking?

Please, don't keep putting me through paying serious attention to this kind of thinking. I want you to understand the serious, heartfelt comments I made in the last messages about the religious and spiritual problems we are suffering from. They are only hurt by an illusory approach to understanding reality.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 04:43:02 AM by rakovsky »

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2016, 07:30:33 AM »

Yes. According to the article, Carbon-14 dating is only useful in determining the age of organic materials.

The speed of light is used to determine the age of the universe. End of story. If a young earther wants to believe the nonsense of a literal Genesis, then I can only hope they at least rock their worldview by reading Origen's commentary on it, and Augustine's commentary for good measure.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/04124.htm (Origen #16)

https://www.amazon.com/41-St-Augustine-Vol-Christian/dp/0809103265/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1478259427&sr=1-2&keywords=augustine+genesis (Augustine)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:39:36 AM by Rohzek »
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline WPM

• Citizenii Populii
  • Taxiarches
  • I am the Root of Existence
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2016, 08:23:51 AM »
What scientists say and everyday interpretations of the Bible can vary.

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2016, 09:33:29 AM »

If a young earther wants to believe the nonsense of a literal Genesis,....

You people should be more careful with your words. Do you believe a literal garden of Eden?
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2016, 09:36:04 AM »
Did you read the article though?
I looked at the article, but after some problems in it near the beginning I did not read it in depth.
Hip-Hop hooray!

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • It a bird, it a plane, no it's Orthogringo!
  • Faith: Orthogringo
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2016, 09:45:51 AM »

If a young earther wants to believe the nonsense of a literal Genesis,....

You people should be more careful with your words. Do you believe a literal garden of Eden?

It Oc.net, probably not