Author Topic: Grandfather Jesus?  (Read 764 times)

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
Grandfather Jesus?
« on: November 01, 2016, 01:58:41 AM »
I just read a verse in Sirach 1 that referenced the writer's grandfather Jesus. Huh???
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Grandfather Jesus?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 02:14:35 AM »
It's probably this kind of Jesús

OR this one

Not this one:

=======================================

Sorry I don't know if they do this kind of thing in Armenian. They do in Russian, Hebrew, and Spanish. Do you know Armenian, may I ask? It could help to clear it up.

Peace.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 02:16:46 AM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 02:23:48 AM »
From what I understand, Jesus (and other forms of it) was a fairly popular name at various times.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 02:28:05 AM »
I just read a verse in Sirach 1 that referenced the writer's grandfather Jesus. Huh???

Yeah, what a lot of people today don't realize is that Jesus was actually a very common name among Jews in the ancient world.  It's not unlike how, in the Gospels, there are a ton of women named Mary (in one verse of John, we even get to read this line: Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, and His mother’s sister, Mary [the wife] of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene). 

So, no, it isn't a confusing reference to Jesus the Christ.  Rather, it's a coincidental Jesus.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 03:11:33 AM »
I don't know the exact stat, but Jesus is a very common Jewish name.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 03:13:27 AM »
If you read the Hebrew: Isaiah, Joshua, Jeshua, Hosea are all related linguistically to the name Jesus. It's a very common Jewish name.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 09:31:30 AM »

Sirach's grandfather was named Jesus, but he was not the same person as our Lord, who is Jesus Christ.

Note that Joshua and Jesus are synonymous, also the form "Yeshua" favoured for our Lord by the "Messianic Jewish" movement, which is a bit misguided, and the other variant names pointed out by xOrthodox in the preceding post.

Just as there are many Hispanic persons named Jesus, we can also see many instances of Jewish persons before our Lord who had the same name. 

The actual meaning of these variant names is "YHWH Saves" which provides us with a compelling reason for our Lord having this name in addition to the Messiah (Christ), Emanu-el, and so on.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »
It was a common name.  It was also the same name as Joshua.  So the author of the book is "Jesus ben Sirach"
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:16:01 AM by William T »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »
Whatever, guys. Keep trying to cover up Jesus' bloodline and repressing the divine feminine.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 01:56:33 PM »
"Yeshua" (which originated "Jesus") is a later, now obsolete, form of "Yehoshua" (which originated "Joshua", btw). In the Septuagint, the Righteous Patriarch Joshua has the same name as the Lord and as Sirach's grandpa.

Joshua x Jesus is like Miriam x Mary, Jacob x James (although this duality seems to be arbitrary and exterior to Hebrew x Greek), Judah x Judas or, more obscurely, Johanan x John and Mattithiah x Matthew.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 02:57:55 PM »
From what I understand, it was a very common name.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"