Author Topic: The Lutheran Confessions, and "Augsburg and Constantinople".  (Read 610 times)

Offline Diego

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
The Lutheran Confessions, and "Augsburg and Constantinople".
« on: October 16, 2016, 12:32:38 AM »
After a rather lengthy conversation with a friend of mine who is Russian Orthodox and used to Lutheran, I have determined that I must, in order to fully understand the situation, reread the Lutheran Confessions. I also must read a copy of "Augsburg and Constantinople". To this end, I have ordered the latter book from Amazon.com. It should be here in the next week or thereabouts. I shall be rereading the Confessions at once. For now, I am going to sign off this board and check it only occasionally. When I am ready to sig in again and answer questions, I shall announce my signin here. Thank you all.

Peace,

Diego

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: The Lutheran Confessions, and "Augsburg and Constantinople".
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 01:20:48 AM »
You know, given your statis as a recent convert to Christianity, who recently had apparently a divine encounter with our Lord, I suggest you read also The Orthodox Way and The Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy by Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick, and Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr. Seraphim Rose (we have a recurring meme about it on this site, but it is worth reading), and also read up on the history and worship of the Oriental Orthodox, before picking this discussion up again.

I also strongly suggest you download some of our liturgical texts inclusing those for the Divine Liturgy according to the EO and OO liturgical rites, and the specific liturgies for the Nativity, Great and Holy Friday, Pascha, Pentecost, the Theophany and the Transfiguration, and also if you can find them, for the Dormition of the Theotokos and the Annunciation (all of these are in the Festal Menaion by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware and Mother Mary), and read and experience our hymnody and attend more of our services.

This might help you to reach a comofortable understanding of what went wrong with your monastic vocation and your experience with Anglicanism and the Roman church, and also would allow us to have a more fruitful dialogue.

It is my experience that frequently, new converts tend to be ardent, and sometimes in an excess of zeal they burn themselves out; I think the ancient catechumenate was all about pacing to avoid such a problem.

Shlomo, as we say in West Syriac Aramaic, the liturgical (and to some extent, in some ISIL-threatened communities here and there across the old country, the vernacular) language of my jurisdiction, the Shriac Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch (Mor Ephrem is a member of the other major Syriac Orthodox church, which is the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church or the Indian Orthodox Church, but effectively the heir to the Orthodox portion of the old Church of the East). 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:24:14 AM by wgw »
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 02:38:27 AM »
Shlomo, as we say in West Syriac Aramaic, the liturgical (, the vernacular) language of my jurisdiction, the Shriac Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch (Mor Ephrem is a member of the other major Syriac Orthodox church, which is the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church or the Indian Orthodox Church, but effectively the heir to the Orthodox portion of the old Church of the East).

Is "Shlomo" a common standard modern expression among Syriac OOs today?
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:55:15 PM »
Shlomo, as we say in West Syriac Aramaic, the liturgical (, the vernacular) language of my jurisdiction, the Shriac Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch (Mor Ephrem is a member of the other major Syriac Orthodox church, which is the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church or the Indian Orthodox Church, but effectively the heir to the Orthodox portion of the old Church of the East).

In my experience, yes.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 10:13:24 PM »
In my experience, yes.
The first time someone said shlomo to me I associated it to Solomon (which is also Shlomo, but in Hebrew) and thought it was some crazy Judaising thing. :P
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:15:46 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)