Author Topic: Re: Formatting  (Read 1845 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
Re: Formatting
« on: October 12, 2016, 12:38:40 AM »
I wish that I could keep track somehow of which discussions I've involved myself in. Or, do you know what else would be great? I have a full laundry list. Otherwise I probably wouldn't feel that it was worth my time - and I'm not Donald J. Trump!
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:43:12 AM »
I wish that I could keep track somehow of which discussions I've involved myself in. Or, do you know what else would be great? I have a full laundry list. Otherwise I probably wouldn't feel that it was worth my time - and I'm not Donald J. Trump!

If you log in to the website, two hot links will come up next to your icon at the top of the page: 'show unread posts since last visit' and 'show new replies to your posts'. If you click the 'profile' hotlink near the top of the website opening page and then click the 'summary' hotlink, a page with your profile information will open. Under your icon on that page are two hot links: 'show posts', which lists all of the posts you have made, and 'show stats'.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:44:35 AM by FinnJames »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 08:41:58 AM »
I do have a fairly substantial list of grievances.  I don't like the landing page much. Stuff like that. Who do I talk to?

hehe.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:49:57 AM by mcarmichael »

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »
I do not understand what this is about.

I go directly to this page first:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=unreadreplies
opening a new tab for what I want to read.

And this page second:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=unread
which is also linked to one the first page.

"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »
It's just me being a jerk. It seems to come naturally to me.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 11:34:02 PM »
It's just me being a jerk. It seems to come naturally to me.

I still do not understand. If you were complaining about the search function, I would.

Offline Olivia

• Viva Christo Rey!
  • Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Philadelphia
Re: Re: Formatting
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 05:10:54 PM »
I like to go to my profile and click "Show Posts" so I can read my past posts.
This is something cute and innocent.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 06:39:13 PM »
I still do not understand. If you were complaining about the search function, I would.

What's wrong with the search function?

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 12:59:58 AM »

What's wrong with the search function?

Try searching for some specific topic and you'll quickly find out.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:00:35 AM by FinnJames »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 09:14:54 PM »
It's so confusing. I feel like I've forgotten some really great questions trying to figure out where I could put them, but I can't be sure. :(
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:28:59 PM by mcarmichael »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »

I own this book, and the front cover says it is for people who are "in any way involved with words," but so far I have not found oc.net mentioned, nor an answer that specifically addresses the problems described in this thread. More updates will be forthcoming.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 09:39:30 PM »
For example if I could see all replies, instead of only the most recent, that might make a huge difference. Just to jog my memory. I forget to take notes sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:47:44 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 12:45:10 AM »
For example if I could see all replies, instead of only the most recent, that might make a huge difference. Just to jog my memory. I forget to take notes sometimes.

Since I can see all of the replies each time I click on a thread and can look up all of the threads if I want to, I'm really curious to know how (i.e. through what medium: email, cellphone, PC, laptop, telepathy) you read the website. 

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 12:59:22 AM »

Since I can see all of the replies each time I click on a thread and can look up all of the threads if I want to, I'm really curious to know how (i.e. through what medium: email, cellphone, PC, laptop, telepathy) you read the website.

It's easy enough, until you're trying to find something.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 10:52:19 PM »
I think the search function, alone, functions perfectly. Which seems to make me very paranoid. Maybe it's the pot, but not probably.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 10:53:34 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 01:21:05 AM »
I think the search function, alone, functions perfectly. Which seems to make me very paranoid. Maybe it's the pot, but not probably.

I agree with the not probably. I think \you did not try to find a post that you know actually exists.

For example, let us say that I recall your posting about about drinking and prayer, and for some weird reason I thought it was a brilliant question or worthy of a remembrance for something you posted recently that ignores what you posted previously. It does not matter why in your case. The post was on Jan. 25, 2016. If you type into the search box, prayer and drinking, your post does not show up. If you type in, prayer and drinking, with username MCarmichael, your post does not show up but a different post in the same thread does, but not by you but quoting your post of the 29th, but not the post I was interested in on the 25th.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 01:23:35 AM »
Another thing is I applied to participate in the so-called "Polemical" forum over a month ago, and still I haven't receive a reply. I'm beginning to doubt that this forum actually exists, despite every indication to the contrary.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 01:37:53 AM »

I agree with the not probably. I think \you did not try to find a post that you know actually exists.

For example, let us say that I recall your posting about about drinking and prayer, and for some weird reason I thought it was a brilliant question or worthy of a remembrance for something you posted recently that ignores what you posted previously. It does not matter why in your case. The post was on Jan. 25, 2016. If you type into the search box, prayer and drinking, your post does not show up. If you type in, prayer and drinking, with username MCarmichael, your post does not show up but a different post in the same thread does, but not by you but quoting your post of the 29th, but not the post I was interested in on the 25th.

Isn't anyone a web programmer? this is the sort of thing that makes me want to become a web programmer, which I understand isn't actually all that difficult to do.

Really though, there are known bugs. Are there known debuggers? I'm out of the loop.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:39:38 AM by mcarmichael »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »
Another thing is I applied to participate in the so-called "Polemical" forum over a month ago, and still I haven't receive a reply. I'm beginning to doubt that this forum actually exists, despite every indication to the contrary.

This forum exists. But, you know, firstly you have to be polite, to be then impolite.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Olivia

• Viva Christo Rey!
  • Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Philadelphia
Re: Re: Formatting
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 09:00:30 AM »
Do you have to have a certain number of posts to get into that forum? I sent a PM to Father George back in June and still haven't heard anything or recieved access.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:01:03 AM by Olivia »
This is something cute and innocent.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 02:31:18 PM »
They do exist, I've asked for line to be removed a year ago haha.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 10:02:37 PM »
I feel like there are people here who would be very eager to help (not me, obviously.)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 10:10:17 PM »
There's an old saying in America: "Father George knows best."

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 07:34:37 PM »

Really? You'd leave if you could?

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 08:28:39 PM »

My access was removed on 8 November 2013. I dont miss it at all.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 10:14:30 PM »

My access was removed on 8 November 2013. I dont miss it at all.

Looking back, would you rather not have ever gotten permission? :D

Politics has never been my thing. Although I do follow several foreign policy blogs on twitter.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 10:18:54 PM by mcarmichael »