Author Topic: Which denominations are truly Christian?  (Read 3725 times)

Offline Clemente

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
Which denominations are truly Christian?
« on: October 06, 2016, 06:32:08 PM »
Kazakh evangelicals hailed the discovery. “Nobody can tell me that I don’t have Christian roots,” one believer told the Tandy Institute.

LOL.

Oh that is funny. Ha ha. Silly Evangelicals think they are Christians!

You know they aren't and therefore that is very funny because...you are a moderator on OC.net

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
Re: Which denominations are truly Christian?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 07:02:23 PM »
Kazakh evangelicals hailed the discovery. “Nobody can tell me that I don’t have Christian roots,” one believer told the Tandy Institute.

LOL.

You know they aren't and therefore that is very funny because...you are a moderator on OC.net

To be honest, I'm not sure if I consider Evangelicals and other Protestants to be Christians.  I go back and forth on that question, but I generally lean in the "not Christian" direction.  That wasn't the reason for my reaction, however. 

It is rather ridiculous for "Kazakh evangelicals" to regard themselves as "having Christian roots" in that country based on some archaeological discoveries pointing to the presence and activity of the Assyrian Church of the East.  If they knew what that was, they would not say such things...and if I'm wrong and they would still stand by their statement, they're even more ridiculous than I thought. 
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 07:18:02 PM »

LOL.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I consider Evangelicals and other Protestants to be Christians.  I go back and forth on that question, but I generally lean in the "not Christian" direction.  That wasn't the reason for my reaction, however. 

It is rather ridiculous for "Kazakh evangelicals" to regard themselves as "having Christian roots" in that country based on some archaeological discoveries pointing to the presence and activity of the Assyrian Church of the East.  If they knew what that was, they would not say such things...and if I'm wrong and they would still stand by their statement, they're even more ridiculous than I thought.

Because the Evangelicals could never trace their roots to the Assyrian Church of the East. But they can trace their lineage to Roman Catholics, who have absolutely nothing in common with the Assyrian Church. Oh, that is funny! Wow, LOL!

I'm sure your declaring Evangelicals "not Christian" will send shock waves around the world, given your status as OC.net moderator. Does Billy Graham know?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 07:27:14 PM »

LOL.

Because the Evangelicals could never trace their roots to the Assyrian Church of the East. But they can trace their lineage to Roman Catholics, who have absolutely nothing in common with the Assyrian Church. Oh, that is funny! Wow, LOL!

I'm sure your declaring Evangelicals "not Christian" will send shock waves around the world, given your status as OC.net moderator. Does Billy Graham know?

:-*
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

An Athonite

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 07:45:23 PM »

LOL.

I'd like to nominate Clemente for the Terri Schiavo Award.

"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:58:19 PM »

LOL.

This won't end well...

An Athonite

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 08:52:08 PM »

LOL.

This won't end well...

[Spoiler][/spoiler]

Spoiler doesn't seem to work.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:54:50 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Diego

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 10:08:51 PM »
To be blunt, this reaches a point of almost being ridiculous. Much as I dislike Evangelicals, and I truly do dislike them, if they have an orthodox understanding of the Trinity then they ARE Christians.  Keep in mind that the term "Evangelical Lutheran" and "Evangelical Protestant" mean ENTIRELY different things. There is not a single member of one group that would consider the other to be part of the same community. In fact, an "Evangelical Protestant" would consider us FAR too Catholic for his taste.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 06:34:20 AM by Diego »

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 02:07:03 AM »

LOL.

This won't end well...

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the surreal world of OC.net.

Where the moderators declare non-Orthodox Nestorians to be Christian, Trinitarian Evangelicals to be "non-Christian" and anybody who questions that bizzare distinction is mocked.

Offline Diego

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 06:37:07 AM »

Where the moderators declare non-Orthodox Nestorians to be Christian, Trinitarian Evangelicals to be "non-Christian" and anybody who questions that bizzare distinction is mocked.

So I am NOT the only one who found that whole concept completely insane. Good to know.

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 07:44:33 AM »

LOL.

This won't end well...

At least it wasn't in green text
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 10:11:29 AM »

LOL.

This won't end well...

I'm actually mocking you, because it is clear that you've been going after Mor and smack talking these forums for a while now. You're throwing a pity party because of some convo over a week ago about homosexuals.

Besides, consider yourself fortunate, the image link is now dead apparently.

Face it son, you're mad cuz you're bad.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 12:08:33 PM »

Wait, so you're saying that the evangelicals come from the Roman Catholics, who, we all know, were founded by the Masons, so you're accusing Nestorians of being Mason spies and you're saying Genghis Khan was controlled by the Illuminati? WOW that's a laugh LOL! Have you told Captain America about this?

I KNOW YOUR TRICKS SON
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »

LOL.

This won't end well...

You didn't question it, or else I would've given you my reasons. 

An Athonite

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 12:29:29 PM »
Evangelicals are vastly semi-Nestorian anyway lol
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 12:43:03 PM »
To be blunt, this reaches a point of almost being ridiculous. Much as I dislike Evangelicals, and I truly do dislike them, if they have an orthodox understanding of the Trinity then they ARE Christians. 

What is "an orthodox understanding of the Trinity"?  And when did that alone become the sine qua non of what makes someone Christian?  Where is it in the Bible, for example? 

An Athonite

Offline FinnJames

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 01:06:01 PM »
To be blunt, this reaches a point of almost being ridiculous. Much as I dislike Evangelicals, and I truly do dislike them, if they have an orthodox understanding of the Trinity then they ARE Christians. 

What is "an orthodox understanding of the Trinity"?  And when did that alone become the sine qua non of what makes someone Christian?  Where is it in the Bible, for example?

At least in some Orthodox jurisdictions it is the case that catechumens who were baptised in the "Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" are at least considered Christian enough to be accepted into the Orthodox Church by chrismation without re-baptism. I think this excludes Quakers, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and a few others from "true Christianity", at least as it is understood in the Orthodox Church.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:09:12 PM by FinnJames »

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 01:08:40 PM »
This wouldn't be a protestant/evangelical thread without Diego mentioning the lutherans out the blue.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 01:10:57 PM »
Much as I dislike Evangelicals, and I truly do dislike them, if they have an orthodox understanding of the Trinity then they ARE Christians.

:D Do you have any idea to whom you are talking to? We've been blaming the West for heretical understanding of the Trinity for last thousand years.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:11:36 PM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 01:17:12 PM »

LOL.

Most Evangelicals probably wouldn't consider the EO/OO to be Christian.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 01:27:02 PM »

At least in some Orthodox jurisdictions it is the case that catechumens who were baptised in the "Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" are at least considered Christian enough to be accepted into the Orthodox Church by chrismation without re-baptism.

Sure.  But defining "Christian" exclusively in terms of "orthodox understanding of the Trinity" is, IMO, insufficient. 

For example, Roman Catholics baptise "in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit", but they also profess the Creed with Filioque.  Is "Filioque" acceptable within an "orthodox understanding of the Trinity"?  If it is, then we are crazy for having made such a big deal out of it.  If it is not, then even RCs are not really Christian. 

When the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch, the community so-named had a Trinitarian faith, but also had apostolic succession, a hierarchical church order centered around the bishop, fidelity to apostolic teaching and to gathering together in common worship and above all in the Eucharist, etc.  I don't see those things in most forms of Protestantism.  They appear to retain some things, though with their own spin, while rejecting others.  When I consider the issue from this perspective, I have a hard time ascribing the name "Christian" to them.     

An Athonite

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 01:34:49 PM »

LOL.

Most Evangelicals probably wouldn't consider the EO/OO to be Christian.

Not unless some of us are filmed getting beheaded on Libyan beaches and can be co-opted.  And even then, some will argue against it. 

An Athonite

Offline Diego

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 01:36:08 PM »
Defining someone as non-Christian solely based on the Filioque, or solely based on the lack of Apostolic Succession, is, to be quite frank, absurd. What do you do with, for example, a Lutheran Church that has the latter and considers the former optional? It gets dumb at a certain point.

Minimally speaking, what does the Orthodox Church require for Chrismation without Baptism? That essentially is what defines a Christian. If his Baptism is valid, then he is a Christian. End of story.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:40:06 PM by Diego »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »
For example, Roman Catholics baptise "in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit", but they also profess the Creed with Filioque.  Is "Filioque" acceptable within an "orthodox understanding of the Trinity"?  If it is, then we are crazy for having made such a big deal out of it.  If it is not, then even RCs are not really Christian.
That's very painful, as RCs are often perceived as a denomination being quite close to Orthodoxy and quite traditional in comparision to various Protestants. But yeah, both statements include the word "quite" ;)

When the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch, the community so-named had a Trinitarian faith, but also had apostolic succession, a hierarchical church order centered around the bishop, fidelity to apostolic teaching and to gathering together in common worship and above all in the Eucharist, etc.  I don't see those things in most forms of Protestantism.  They appear to retain some things, though with their own spin, while rejecting others.  When I consider the issue from this perspective, I have a hard time ascribing the name "Christian" to them.     
That's a very good point.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 01:42:36 PM »

LOL.

I think if Arians could be considered Christians, albeit heretics, I think evangelicals and protestants fall under the Christian umbrella as well.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2016, 01:48:53 PM »
I think if Arians could be considered Christians, albeit heretics, I think evangelicals and protestants fall under the Christian umbrella as well.

It's possible, I suppose.  But would you extend that to, say, Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses?  At least in the RC circles with which I'm aware, these two groups are considered not Christian, and I'm not sure they're alone in that opinion. 

An Athonite

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 01:50:49 PM »
That's very painful, as RCs are often perceived as a denomination being quite close to Orthodoxy and quite traditional in comparision to various Protestants. But yeah, both statements include the word "quite" ;)

Well, I consider RCs to be Christian.  But I was responding to this "orthodox understanding of the Trinity" business.  If that's the main thing, then we've got problems.

An Athonite

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 01:52:34 PM »
Defining someone as non-Christian solely based on the Filioque, or solely based on the lack of Apostolic Succession, is, to be quite frank, absurd.

Not "solely". 

What do you do with, for example, a Lutheran Church that has the latter and considers the former optional? It gets dumb at a certain point.

Yes.  We just disagree on what is "it". 

Minimally speaking, what does the Orthodox Church require for Chrismation without Baptism? That essentially is what defines a Christian. If his Baptism is valid, then he is a Christian. End of story.

Not really.

An Athonite

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 01:54:14 PM »

It's possible, I suppose.  But would you extend that to, say, Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses?  At least in the RC circles with which I'm aware, these two groups are considered not Christian, and I'm not sure they're alone in that opinion.
They derive from Christian roots, which I think allows them to identify as Christian. They are basically Arian anyways. I don't  think the label is as important as the content the faith they profess.
God bless!

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 02:24:32 PM »

They derive from Christian roots, which I think allows them to identify as Christian. They are basically Arian anyways. I don't  think the label is as important as the content the faith they profess.

Don't the muslims also derive from christian roots? They're an abrahamic religion, have their share of reverence for the Theotokos and consider Christ as a prophet. Yet, they're not christian.
I think we are all trying to find a common ground here, a concept from which is possible to draw a line.
I think Mor nailed it in reply no. 20.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 02:25:28 PM »

How much "content" must their faith profess to be Christian? 

An Athonite

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 02:41:07 PM »

I'm actually mocking you, because it is clear that you've been going after Mor and smack talking these forums for a while now. You're throwing a pity party because of some convo over a week ago about homosexuals.

So it is your duty to mock any poster that would have the audacity of questioning your fearless leader's infallibility.

That is so cute.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »
What constitutes Christianity? And what authority determines that?
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 02:56:25 PM »
Former evangelical (and I ain't mad about it, no axe to grind), and I go back and forth on whether or not Protestants and evangelicals are Christians as well. I think some are certainly closer than others.

Evangelicals have absolutely no sacramental theology, notably of course is an absence of the Eucharist. Christ said that if we don't eat His flesh and drink His blood we have no life in us. Can a Christian have no life in them- is that ontologically possible? At least with Catholics, even the most strident Orthodox would have to agree that it's a matter of degrees: have they deviated enough that their sacraments no longer have grace? With Evangelicals, that cannot even possibly be the question when they absolutely deny that their bread and grape juice are anything other than symbols.

I used to be pretty touchy on the topic because my family, who sincerely love Christ to the best of their knowledge/ability, are all still evangelical. But the reality is, if you look at the history of the Church, if you take a big picture view of what it has always meant to be Christian and what it has looked like, then it's hard to go to a service with a light show and fog machines where people sing Lifehouse songs to God (even if it's in total sincerity) and think that they are Christian. If Orthodoxy is The Church, and being a member of it as well as living an Orthodox life is how to be a Christian, and it matters how you pray and what you do beyond what concepts you give mental assent to.... then belief in the Trinity while correct and good is just not enough.

You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 03:11:31 PM »

So it is your duty to mock any poster that would have the audacity of questioning your fearless leader's infallibility.

That is so cute.

First off, I started mocking you before you even attacked Mor. You've made several other pathetic posts in other threads, where I already mocked you. Perhaps if you weren't so gay for Mor, you'd realize that.

And I actually totally disagree with Mor on this one. It seems fairly obvious to me that Evangelicals are Christians.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:18:37 PM by Rohzek »

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 03:12:57 PM »
The word Christian can mean different things, as in "being a Christian", or a "Christian act of charity".
So someone could belong to a church and be counted for census purposes as Christian, but not be a believer, hence not a Christian.

So in senses some Muslims are Christians (they call Jesus "Christ" in Arabic, Masih), but in other sense they aren't.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Onesimus

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »
What constitutes Christianity? And what authority determines that?
Love that seeks unity.   The answer to both.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »
I think the topic is silly because it mixes to different discourses which are entirely different altogether.  I believe historically EOs at least were not asking if someone is Christian but rather if someone is Orthodox. The concept of Christian is entirely separate from this discourse and has entirely different historical background and precepts. Historically we cannot separate "Christian" and "Church" but yet the topic does exactly that.

Thus when considering if this or that Evangelicak denomination is Christian we should entirely forget historical criteria. Otherwise the only answer would be "No, it's not Orthodox."

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2016, 03:24:25 PM »

That is so cute.

First off, I started mocking you before you even attacked Mor. You've made several other pathetic posts in other threads, where I already mocked you. Perhaps if you weren't so gay for Mor, you'd realize that.

And I actually totally disagree with Mor on this one. It seems fairly obvious to me that Evangelicals are Christians.

Oh, so you are going from thread to thread to protect your leader.

That is so precious.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2016, 03:31:15 PM »
I think the topic is silly because it mixes to different discourses which are entirely different altogether.  I believe historically EOs at least were not asking if someone is Christian but rather if someone is Orthodox. The concept of Christian is entirely separate from this discourse and has entirely different historical background and precepts. Historically we cannot separate "Christian" and "Church" but yet the topic does exactly that.

Thus when considering if this or that Evangelicak denomination is Christian we should entirely forget historical criteria. Otherwise the only answer would be "No, it's not Orthodox."

What exactly are you saying?  That "Christian" is not a meaningful term?  Or that "Christian" is so connected to "Church" that no one outside of communion with "Church" could legitimately claim the term?  Something else?

An Athonite

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2016, 03:32:14 PM »
It seems fairly obvious to me that Evangelicals are Christians.

How so?

An Athonite

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2016, 03:48:27 PM »
It seems fairly obvious to me that Evangelicals are Christians.

How so?

I'll take it further. I don't think Trinitarianism is necessary to be a Christian. There was a period where it appears Jerome perhaps was reluctant to consider the Holy Spirit a Divine Person. It would be too weird to consider him a Christian only after he met with John Chrysostom, who apparently convinced him on the issue. Besides, were the Arians heretics or were they infidels? I lean towards the former, which by default makes them Christian.

Setting aside the Trinitarian aspect, which most Evangelicals fulfill anyways, most if not all believe that Jesus is someone more than just a prophet. To me, that seems to be the bare minimum of what it takes be a Christian.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2016, 03:49:33 PM »

What exactly are you saying?  That "Christian" is not a meaningful term?  Or that "Christian" is so connected to "Church" that no one outside of communion with "Church" could legitimately claim the term?  Something else?

That there are two separate discourses which are IMO both legitimate but lead into useless argument when mixed. Usually when we define "Christian" nowadays people mean that this person or institution subscribes into specific and very limited set of abstract doctrines. The set may wary from person to person or be even contradictory but the basic idea is the same. And I don't think this is the historically approach at least among EOs. It's as good as any other way defining the term but not the historical approach among us.  That is why trying to exclude Evangelicals from being Christians on basis of lacking sacramentology or anything like that is silly. It's IMO beside the point because it tries to introduce Orthodox standards to the definition of a word that is non-Orthodox in the sense that it's colloquial use was born in non-Orthodox context. Orthodox folks of course use the same word but in a very different way.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »

That is so cute.

That is so precious.

Except he didn't even post in the other thread nor did you mention him.

Truly what is precious is how much of a removed- ZZ you are.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:24:55 PM by ZealousZeal »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2016, 03:53:18 PM »
Thread locked pending moderator review.

Mor Ephrem, section moderator

An Athonite

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2016, 09:32:35 PM »

That is so cute.

That is so precious.

Except he didn't even post in the other thread nor did you mention him.

Truly what is precious is how much of a removed- ZZ you are.

Rohzek-

The profanity which you used is not permitted on the forum, and it is certainly not permitted for you to call another member such a word. Since this is not the first time you have been warned about profanity, I am issuing you a warning of +25 points.

If you wish to appeal this warning, you may do so by PMing me.

-ZZ, Section Moderator

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2016, 09:38:48 PM »
All,

This is a Free-For-All section, and discussions may get a bit heated here, but please keep the Rules in mind, let's contain conflict, and if you see something that breaks the rules, report it rather than engage.

Please remain seated and keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times.

Thread unlocked.

-ZZ, Section Moderator

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2016, 01:03:43 AM »

There's nothing funny about that.
sent from my iPhone.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• The one they call Justin
  • OC.net guru
  • the Sorrowful
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2016, 02:07:45 AM »
Actual answer: Orthodox: however God reserves the right to deem others truly Christian, and Orthodox as not truly Christian, as He sees fit.

Oh, and also stick me in tollbooth #295.3.6.2.3 for mocking zealots in overreaction for being a former zealot for a trillion years, so that Unitarians and Hare Krishna may enter the kingdom of God before me. Lord have mercy on me. Save me, Most Holy Theotokos!
Forgive me the prodigal.
One Lord, one Faith, one Baptism: please act like it, brothers and sisters!

Offline Charles Martel

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2016, 07:37:22 PM »
Actual answer: Orthodox: however God reserves the right to deem others truly Christian, and Orthodox as not truly Christian, as He sees fit.

Oh, and also stick me in tollbooth #295.3.6.2.3 for mocking zealots in overreaction for being a former zealot for a trillion years, so that Unitarians and Hare Krishna may enter the kingdom of God before me. Lord have mercy on me. Save me, Most Holy Theotokos!
Wow, nice of you to give "God" that right.
Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.