Author Topic: Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?  (Read 320 times)

Offline rstrats

• Faith: Atheist
  • Jurisdiction: etc.
Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?
« on: January 17, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth" 

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved with His time in the tomb.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those  mentioned above have said that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I would like to ask anyone who thinks that it was common,  if they could  provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred. 

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Re: Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 11:32:34 AM »

Christ was resurrected on the 3rd day post His death.

Died Friday
- in tomb Friday
- in tomb Saturday
- in tomb Sunday (If He were not in the tomb at all on Sunday, He would have resurrected on Saturday)
Resurrected Sunday early morning
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:31:37 PM »
What else could "heart of the earth" be referring to? Do you think Jesus was predicting that He'd tunnel to the center of the earth?

If that kind of imprecision is allowable, then why shouldn't "three days and three nights" also be allowable as just a term for the completion of that general time period? What should Jesus have said, in your opinion? "Two days and some change?"

EDIT: My apologies if that sounded harsh in tone.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:37:28 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.