OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:35:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy icons?  (Read 1798 times) Average Rating: 0
TruthSeeker

OC.net

« on: September 01, 2005, 01:43:28 AM »

Your recommendations in regard to where to buy icons would be appreciated. The older the style the better.

NULL
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 03:53:34 AM »

One recommendation I will make is that you do not buy anything from Monastery Icons. They are not Orthodox nor can they be truly called christian. They are a new age cult following the gnostic heresy. All "icons" they sell have been blessed by one of their pagan rituals.

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/monasteryicons.aspx
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 03:57:01 AM »

I believe the icons at St Isaac of Syria Skete are pretty good.

http://www.skete.com/icons.cfm
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 05:01:48 AM »

Your recommendations in regard to where to buy icons would be appreciated. The older the style the better.

Are you after mounted ones, ready made hand written ones or looking to commission one? I know several sources for all. Personally, I tend to buy mine from monasteries in Romania, but I've also had one commissioned from an iconographer in Thessaloniki and have bought several on the net.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
TruthSeeker

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 05:04:09 AM »

I know nothing of the "types" of icons.....can you explain.

I just want one of Jesus to start....and a painting or even a print in a frame would be nice...and not small.

Oh....is the Lords Supper considered an acceptable icon?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 05:05:09 AM by TruthSeeker » Logged

NULL
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 05:40:05 AM »

This is a good site to browse; they have a lot.
http://www.archangelsbooks.com/categories.asp?cat=160

Qui cantat, bis orat
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 05:42:30 AM »

It is an icon, called The Mystical Supper

http://www.archangelsbooks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ISA%2DF30

Qui cantat, bis orat
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 08:27:56 AM »

I know nothing of the "types" of icons.....can you explain.

I just want one of Jesus to start....and a painting or even a print in a frame would be nice...and not small.

Oh....is the Lords Supper considered an acceptable icon?

Sorry. You generally tend to get two main types of icons, mounted or hand-written. Mounted ones are basically prints mounted on wood whereas hand-written ones are painted (usually) using egg tempera. Obviously the mounted ones are significantly cheaper. The most expensive icons are usually specially commisioned ones. I wouldn't do this often, but I did have to have one commisioned for my son's baptism because his patron saint is not commonly painted. The same will almost certainly be true for the child we're expecting in December. My patron, St. James the Persian, is a similarly unusual one to find but I was lucky in that I was given a specially commisioned icon as a gift for my Chrismation - by a complete stranger, no less!

Generally, I would stick with mounted icons to start with (some are actually very good quality anyway) and only buy hand written ones when you can afford to and really want to. My hand-written ones are very outnumbered by the mounted ones. And, of course the Last Supper is a suitable icon. You should be able to find one without much difficulty, which is also true of many other episodes in Christ's life. One of my favourite mounted icons, for instance, is of the Transfiguration.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 09:10:57 AM »

There's always Light and Life (i get their catalog, it's quite nice, and their shipping time is very fast).  Have you tried your church? Our bookstore sells many icons, and will order for you too. 

http://www.light-n-life.com/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 09:12:31 AM by aurelia » Logged
silouancampbell
Moderated

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: rocor

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »

damascenegallery.com has many old style icons and their reproductions use a traditional style panel complete with red oak splines on the reverse.  they also sell antique icons and newly painted icons.
silouancampbell
Moderated

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: rocor

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »

orthodoxchristiansupply.com is a new site with some really nice images.  i know that they are offering a 30% discount (as advertised on their Facebook site) with the code "launchsale" - you may want to check them out.
Tags: icons bookstore 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: