OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 12:16:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 7264 times) Average Rating: 0
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« on: August 31, 2005, 08:42:37 PM »

Someone told me abortion is supported by the Coptic Church if the mother will die.  Is this true?

Thanks!

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 10:42:12 PM »

Don't most churches allow abortion if it is pretty certain the mother will die?

forever_love

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 05:30:35 AM »

If the mother dies and the child is born, she will die as a martyr and she will enter the kingdom of God. This is a mother that has sacrificied herself on the altar of the family!

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1,1)
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 07:26:06 AM »

If the mother dies and the child is born, she will die as a martyr and she will enter the kingdom of God. This is a mother that has sacrificied herself on the altar of the family!

True.. but there's a difference between a mother chosing to give up her life for her child and the church forcing her to.  Medical procedures which are necessary to save a mother's life but cause the lose of the child are not forbidden. 
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 08:54:10 AM »

Another point to consider is if the mother has already other children and who will be taking care of them if she dies in order to save the unborn child.       
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 03:39:28 PM »

There are also cases (for example ectopic pregnancies where the child is developing in the fallopian tube rather then the uterus or outside of the uterus/tube entirely.  rare but it does happen) where without intervention *both* mother and child will die.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 01:18:09 PM »

What Ebor describes is the principle of double effect, not a direct abortion.  Performing surgery on a fallopian tube pregnancy situation that results in the death of a baby is not the same thing as going in and killing it because there is a chance the mother will not survive.  The church allows intervention when abortion is an unintended double effect, but not when it is the direct act.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 02:14:02 PM »

His Holiness Pope Shenouda III states in his book The Ten Commandments , Volume III, page 25:

Abortion:

Abortion is a form of murdering a living creature which,
although not yet born, has a soul that we do not have the
authority to dispose of. There are two kinds of abortion:
intentional, and unintentional. Intentional abortion is performed
when a woman or her family or friends decide to get rid of the
foetus by medical methods. The doctor who does it, is partially
responsible for it and is deemed an essential partner in this
incidence of killing. Abortion may also be executed by other
methods very well known to women. In this case the
responsibility falls very clearly on the woman who does it. Yet,
the aim behind abortion determines the weight of responsibility,
for it may be considered a crime committed to hide another
crime.

Those helping in the performance of abortion may think they
have done something proper, such as preventing a scandal, but
actually they just participate in a crime of murder. A woman
may have an abortion because she is not willing to give birth to
children, but this does not make her innocent of the crime of
murder. Abortion may also be done to protect the mother if
delivery threatens her life. Doctors may kill the foetus to rescue
the mother, and they excuse themselves for doing so by saying
that they sacrifice one soul to save another. Thus, the question
here is being discussed to show how great the responsibility
may be.

An unintentional miscarriage may happen when a mother is so
negligent that she loses her baby through exhausting herself.
An employer may make a pregnant employee work so much
that she ends up having a miscarriage. Such an employer will
be responsible and will have violated the Sixth Commandment
in this respect. A husband may bear this same responsibility if
he does not care about the health of his pregnant wife thus
causing her to miscarry.

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
drewmeister2
Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 10:41:24 PM »

What Ebor describes is the principle of double effect, not a direct abortion.ÂÂ  Performing surgery on a fallopian tube pregnancy situation that results in the death of a baby is not the same thing as going in and killing it because there is a chance the mother will not survive.ÂÂ  The church allows intervention when abortion is an unintended double effect, but not when it is the direct act.

Anastasios

I am curious, why doesn't the Coptic Church recommend this? 

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

NI    KA

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 11:20:14 PM »

Drewmeister2,

I believe His Holiness Pope Shenouda III did in fact condemn the conscious and voluntary act of killing the fetus for the purpose of saving the mothers life, per my above quotation of him.

Although I have not read the quote in its original Arabic, and although the translation itself has resulted in pretty dodgy English, I think we can clearly see that the examples presented by His Holiness in the second paragraph, are introduced by him as examples pertaining to those who in “helping in the performance of abortion” think “they have done something proper”, have actually just “participated in the crime of murder.” Amongst the following examples manifesting this principle, he lists the act of doctors murdering the fetus in order to save the life of the mother. The word “may” that he employs in the sentence “doctors may kill the fetus” is used to express possibility of occurrence as opposed to expressing permission - the context proves that he clearly condemns it.

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
drewmeister2
Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 11:22:29 PM »

The word “may” that he employs in the sentence “doctors may kill the fetus” is used to express possibility of occurrence as opposed to expressing permission - the context proves that he clearly condemns it.

Peace.

So abortion is never allowed, even in ectopic pregnancies?

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

NI    KA

drewmeister2
Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 11:35:51 PM »

Now that I read into it more, it makes sense.

But, on this website: http://www.lacopts.org/index.php/lacopts/entry/abortion/, it says: "How can a mother, a physician, or anyone agree to participate in ending the life of a living being by having an abortion?  From the religious perspective, this can not be accepted unless the continuation of pregnancy threatens the life of the mother, and the only solution is “therapeutic abortion”."  Seems to contradict what HH said. 

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

NI    KA

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 11:55:32 PM »

He may be meaning an abortion that is caused indirectly as a result of surgery to save a mother's life, what Catholics call "double effect."

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2005, 12:05:15 AM »

drewmeister,

So abortion is never allowed, even in ectopic pregnancies?

Following the manner in which Ebor and Anastasios have described the nature and purpose of the surgery performed with respect to ectopic pregnancies (assuming for the sake of my own laziness that they are correct), I would say that the performance of such surgery clearly does not fall under the condemnation made by His Holiness in the above quote; that is not to say it is definitely allowed — I simply do not know. All that is known is that what His Holiness seems to specifically condemn, is the conscious, intentional and voluntary act of killing the fetus, and not the conscious, intentional and voluntary act of performing a surgery for the prevention of the death of both mother and child, which may or may not (?) eventuate in the death of the fetus.

The Coptic Orthodox Church (like all other Orthodox Church’s?) does not have some sort of an official book laying down some set of strict legislation on moral issues — we do not approach morality in a strictly theoretical framework that is then blindly applied to practical life. We recognize the fluidity of Christian morality that is most appropriately determined by the practical context of a situation, which is why, according to the reality of the Orthodox experience, these things are looked at on a case by case basis (regardless of any general statements made by certain Bishops), where persons facing such circumstances consult their spiritual adviser or even the local Bishop for advice and ruling on such matters according to the context of situation itself. 

Peace.

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2005, 12:12:07 AM »

Anastasios,

He may be meaning an abortion that is caused indirectly as a result of surgery to save a mother's life, what Catholics call "double effect."

Well, His Grace Bishop Serapion seems to explicitly be condoning “therapeutic abortion”, which specifically refers to direct abortion for the purpose of saving the mothers life which is at risk by virtue of the very existence of the fetus. There does seem to be a contradiction therefore, between His Holiness and His Grace on the matter, however this doesn't necessarily present a problem for the Orthodox believer seeking a practical solution (in light of my brief explanation of the practical approach of the Orthodox believer who is ultimately lead by the Holy Spirit), only for those attempting to reduce morality to a static object of strictly theoretical investigation.

Peace.

drewmeister2
Elder

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2005, 12:15:21 AM »

drewmeister,

Following the manner in which Ebor and Anastasios have described the nature and purpose of the surgery performed with respect to ectopic pregnancies (assuming for the sake of my own laziness that they are correct), I would say that the performance of such surgery clearly does not fall under the condemnation made by His Holiness in the above quote; that is not to say it is definitely allowed — I simply do not know. All that is known is that what His Holiness seems to specifically condemn, is the conscious, intentional and voluntary act of killing the fetus, and not the conscious, intentional and voluntary act of performing a surgery for the prevention of the death of both mother and child, which may or may not (?) eventuate in the death of the fetus.

The Coptic Orthodox Church (like all other Orthodox Church’s?) does not have some sort of an official book laying down some set of strict legislation on moral issues — we do not approach morality in a strictly theoretical framework that is then blindly applied to practical life. We recognize the fluidity of Christian morality that is most appropriately determined by the practical context of a situation, which is why, according to the reality of the Orthodox experience, these things are looked at on a case by case basis (regardless of any general statements made by certain Bishops), where persons facing such circumstances consult their spiritual adviser or even the local Bishop for advice and ruling on such matters according to the context of situation itself.ÂÂ  

Peace.

But I'm sure there is some standard of morals in the Coptic Church (ie, a woman can't have an abortion just because she is too lazy to raise it, or because she doesn't like the fact that the baby is a boy, instead of a girl, which she wanted)?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 12:17:20 AM by drewmeister2 » Logged

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

NI    KA

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2005, 12:32:30 AM »

But I'm sure there is some standard of morals in the Coptic Church (ie, a woman can't have an abortion just because she is too lazy to raise it)?

I’m not saying there is no general standard — which is often determined by consensus of opinion (of which there is in the case of the prohibition of abortion where the woman is simply “too lazy” to raise the child — not a very morally complicated scenario) — I am simply saying that there’s always the possibility that a particular case has some relevant and essential contextual factor which may call for special consideration (especially when moral issues get as complicated as they do in the situations we are discussing), and which cannot simply be ignored in the face of some general theoretical ruling on the general subject to which the case relates. The Church is not arbitrary in recognising the fluidity of Christian morality, it is simply being practical - there is nonetheless general standards.

If a believer is confronted with such unfortunate circumstances which call for a complex moral decision to be made, they can rest assured that by confronting their spiritual adviser and local Bishop, and subjecting their own conscious and opinions to the discretion of that spiritual adviser and/or bishop, that they will ultimately be lead by the Holy Spirit who guides the Church as a whole into all truth, not only through Her heirarchs, but also the believers who constitute the body of the Church.

Peace.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 12:33:55 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005, 01:15:13 AM »

Anastasios,

Well, His Grace Bishop Serapion seems to explicitly be condoning “therapeutic abortion”, which specifically refers to direct abortion for the purpose of saving the mothers life which is at risk by virtue of the very existence of the fetus. There does seem to be a contradiction therefore, between His Holiness and His Grace on the matter, however this doesn't necessarily present a problem for the Orthodox believer seeking a practical solution (in light of my brief explanation of the practical approach of the Orthodox believer who is ultimately lead by the Holy Spirit), only for those attempting to reduce morality to a static object of strictly theoretical investigation.

Peace.

This might be an issue where the EO and OO are at odds.  The EO Church teaches that there is no instance--at all--where a direct abortion can occur, and that the Church has competence in this realm since abortion is murder plain and simple.  I am concerned that you are reducing the church's ability to stand against immorality by reducing things as black and white as abortion to moral fluidity; I think we can have economy in the way we treat a woman who has had an abortion (show the maximum amount of mercy towards her and help her in any way we can after she has done the deed) but the Church can't ever condone an abortion before it has happened under any circumstance, from an EO point of view.

BTW, I do intend to get back to your earlier post, but you kind of wore me out logically speaking and I still need to recover Smiley

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2005, 02:18:55 AM »

This might be an issue where the EO and OO are at odds.ÂÂ  The EO Church teaches that there is no instance--at all--where a direct abortion can occur, and that the Church has competence in this realm since abortion is murder plain and simple.

I wouldn’t go this far in my conclusions, as to say that we are definitely at odds, for two reasons:

a)   Because I am really only presenting my own personal interpretation of the apparent inconsistency of opinion between His Grace Bishop Serapion and His Holiness Pope Shenouda III on the matter (though it is one that I stand by). Some (indeed, the Patriarch himself even) may simply interpret it more strictly i.e. they may hold that H. G. Bishop Serapion has simply erred in his statement (Bishops are not infallible in the OO Church — if they are considered as such in the EO Church, then we may be at odds here at least). I therefore wouldn’t go as far as making open blanket statements about our being at odds over this issue; we can at most only be at odds according to my own personal interpretation of the inconsistency - but this is assuming that your statement regarding the EOC’s position is accurate in the first place, which brings me to my next point…

b) Because the EO Church seems inconsistent on the matter herself. Take this excerpt from the goarch.org website for example:

The Orthodox Church has a definite, formal and intended attitude toward abortion. It condemns all procedures purporting to abort the embryo or fetus, whether by surgical or chemical means. The Orthodox Church brands abortion as murder; that is, as a premeditated termination of the life of a human being. The only time the Orthodox Church will reluctantly acquiesce to abortion is when the preponderance of medical opinion determines that unless the embryo or fetus is aborted, the mother will die.

This seems to be clearly condoning ‘therapeutic abortion’ - a procedure by which the fetus is aborted for the sake of the mothers life, as opposed to a procedure by which the fetus dies as an unintended consequence. This implication is made clear by the words “unless the embryo or fetus is aborted”, which suggest that the procedure carried out for the preservation of the mothers life necessarily results in the abortion of the fetus (hence the element of intention), and not simply possibly resulting in the abortion of the fetus.

There is also this from the OCA website:

As to abortion, the Church very clearly and absolutely condemns it as an act of murder in every case. If a woman is with child, she must allow it to be born. In regard to all of the very difficult cases, such as a young girl being raped or a mother who is certain to die, the consensus of Orthodox opinion would be that a decision for abortion might possibly be made, but that it can in no way be easily justified as morally righteous, and that persons making such a decision must repent of it and count on the mercy of God.

This quote is in itself problematic, for not only does it acknowledge the possibility of allowing for abortion in certain circumstances,ÂÂ  but it is condoning the possibility of certain acts that are nonetheless considered morally incorrect.

Furthermore, here is an explicit statement from Bishop John (Kallos) of Thermon of the EO Church, condoning therapeutic abortion, as an exception to the general rule against abortion:

The Orthodox Church does not condone abortion for she holds human life as sacred. Only in the case of therapeutic abortion when the life of the mother is endangered can the possibility of abortion be considered

Nothing different in this comment than that of Bishop Serapion.

BTW, I do intend to get back to your earlier post, but you kind of wore me out logically speaking and I still need to recover

I do my bestÂÂ  Wink

Peace.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 02:42:09 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

arjuna3110

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2005, 08:25:14 AM »

I have a different question on the subject of abortion.

I read a news story about current Russian statistics on abortion.  http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000085&sid=a_b.qA0CYFx0&refer=europe

Acording to this,  the (official) number of abortions exceeded the number of live births in Russia last year.    I'm not trying to point my finger and say that the Russians are bad or Americans are good, etc.  I'm just genuinely confused and schocked and ignorant about this.  Don't they have contraception?  How likely is it that a Russian woman has had an abortion?  Also, how does the Church handle that in Russia?  Any answers or comments would be appreciated.  Thank you.
drewmeister2
Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2005, 10:45:34 AM »

I wouldn’t go this far in my conclusions, as to say that we are definitely at odds, for two reasons:

a)   Because I am really only presenting my own personal interpretation of the apparent inconsistency of opinion between His Grace Bishop Serapion and His Holiness Pope Shenouda III on the matter (though it is one that I stand by). Some (indeed, the Patriarch himself even) may simply interpret it more strictly i.e. they may hold that H. G. Bishop Serapion has simply erred in his statement (Bishops are not infallible in the OO Church — if they are considered as such in the EO Church, then we may be at odds here at least). I therefore wouldn’t go as far as making open blanket statements about our being at odds over this issue; we can at most only be at odds according to my own personal interpretation of the inconsistency - but this is assuming that your statement regarding the EOC’s position is accurate in the first place, which brings me to my next point…

b) Because the EO Church seems inconsistent on the matter herself. Take this excerpt from the goarch.org website for example:

This seems to be clearly condoning ‘therapeutic abortion’ - a procedure by which the fetus is aborted for the sake of the mothers life, as opposed to a procedure by which the fetus dies as an unintended consequence. This implication is made clear by the words “unless the embryo or fetus is aborted”, which suggest that the procedure carried out for the preservation of the mothers life necessarily results in the abortion of the fetus (hence the element of intention), and not simply possibly resulting in the abortion of the fetus.

There is also this from the OCA website:

This quote is in itself problematic, for not only does it acknowledge the possibility of allowing for abortion in certain circumstances,ÂÂ  but it is condoning the possibility of certain acts that are nonetheless considered morally incorrect.

Furthermore, here is an explicit statement from Bishop John (Kallos) of Thermon of the EO Church, condoning therapeutic abortion, as an exception to the general rule against abortion:

Nothing different in this comment than that of Bishop Serapion.

Wow!  This is interesting.  I didn't know the EOC taught this.  Seems to be the same teaching as the Copts.

EA: But I assume, 99% of the time the COC condemns abortion?  Only in the one percent (maybe slightly more or less) is abortion possibly allowed?

Thanks Smiley

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

NI    KA

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2005, 07:08:55 PM »

EA: But I assume, 99% of the time the COC condemns abortion?ÂÂ  Only in the one percent (maybe slightly more or less) is abortion possibly allowed?

I don't think it'd be wise to reduce this to statistics...

The only instance that I know of in which an exception to the general prohibition against abortion is made, is when the life of the mother is at stake - furthermore, this exception condoning therapeutic abortion, is one that has only been made (as far as I know anyway) by two Bishops (His Grace Bishop Youssef makes a very general and ambiguous statement regarding the matter, which need not necessarily be interpreted as an approval of 'therapeutic abortion' specifically). All other proposed exceptions to the general prohibition against abortion (e.g. as a means of birth control or family planning, to prevent financial/economic hardship, when the woman has conceived from an act of adultery or rape etc.), seem to be unanimously rejected by the Church; She is apparently very strict on such matters.

Peace.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 08:09:45 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

Fortunatus
Son of Antony

Faith: Orthodox

'If thou wilt be perfect...'

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 03:44:02 PM »

+Irini nem ehmot

Sorry to resurrect an ended topic, but I'm not sure if a real conclusion was drawn. I would like to emphasise that our Church does teach that the only time where abortion is permitted (not encouraged) is in the case where a mother's life is at stake. Even His Holiness Pope Shenouda III teaches this, there is no odds between him and the Bishops on this matter. He was speaking of those who choose to end the life a fetus simply because the person doesn't want to be discomforted by having a baby.

I was taught the Double Effect jazz at a Catholic Seminary, and I really don't like it...but that's beside the point. I think a better way to rationalise why we would allow such a thing is by considering that the Church allowed her men to fight wars in the early days. A person who killed in war was not seen as a murderer, and yet they had killed.

I think it's the same case for a woman who is going to die as a result of pregnancy. The unborn fetus, who (like the enemy in war) may not even want to be there, is there nonetheless. This other human being is an aggressor, and the woman has no choice but to face her foe. She must  choose to strike or be struck. We would all admire the person who was willing to take the sword, but we also would not expect of her to give the life either. I know it sounds terrible to call an unborn baby an aggressor, I'm just trying to put it into context. Obviously we would never want to have to do something like that; it's an exceptional circumstance.

Please pray for me.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 03:45:50 PM by Fortunatus » Logged

Agape,
         Fortunatus
Amen, maranatha!
"A man's life or death cometh from his neighbour; if we benefit our brother we benefit ourselves, and if we offend him we sin against God." - The Great Abba Antony
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 09:34:01 AM »

I think it's the same case for a woman who is going to die as a result of pregnancy. The unborn fetus, who (like the enemy in war) may not even want to be there, is there nonetheless. This other human being is an aggressor, and the woman has no choice but to face her foe. She must  choose to strike or be struck. We would all admire the person who was willing to take the sword, but we also would not expect of her to give the life either. I know it sounds terrible to call an unborn baby an aggressor, I'm just trying to put it into context. Obviously we would never want to have to do something like that; it's an exceptional circumstance.

OK, but how is this supposed to be a better model than double effect? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Fortunatus
Son of Antony

'If thou wilt be perfect...'

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 05:50:36 PM »

OK, but how is this supposed to be a better model than double effect? 

+Irini nem ehmot

I don't like Double Effect, because it makes it seem like the reason why these exceptions are okay is become of some kind of technicality that doesn't have a Church basis. In this model we acknowledge straight up that something wrong has happened, but we don't need to dance around the words and say that we only did it indirectly. Our Church will allow the direct abortion in the case where the mother is going to die (no dancing) - while still acknowledging that something terrible has happened and that this should never be allowed under any other circumstance. She exalts those that lay their lives down without forcing them to, but does not say that some kind of technical physically indirect act permits the decision to be made to choose to save one's own life...

I'm a little bit out of it, so I hope that made sense.

Please pray for me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 05:53:17 PM by Fortunatus » Logged

Agape,
         Fortunatus
Amen, maranatha!
"A man's life or death cometh from his neighbour; if we benefit our brother we benefit ourselves, and if we offend him we sin against God." - The Great Abba Antony
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »

His Holiness Pope Shenouda III states in his book The Ten Commandments , Volume III, page 25:

Abortion:

Abortion is a form of murdering a living creature which,
although not yet born, has a soul that we do not have the
authority to dispose of. There are two kinds of abortion:
intentional, and unintentional. Intentional abortion is performed
when a woman or her family or friends decide to get rid of the
foetus by medical methods. The doctor who does it, is partially
responsible for it and is deemed an essential partner in this
incidence of killing. Abortion may also be executed by other
methods very well known to women. In this case the
responsibility falls very clearly on the woman who does it. Yet,
the aim behind abortion determines the weight of responsibility,
for it may be considered a crime committed to hide another
crime.

Those helping in the performance of abortion may think they
have done something proper, such as preventing a scandal, but
actually they just participate in a crime of murder. A woman
may have an abortion because she is not willing to give birth to
children, but this does not make her innocent of the crime of
murder. Abortion may also be done to protect the mother if
delivery threatens her life. Doctors may kill the foetus to rescue
the mother, and they excuse themselves for doing so by saying
that they sacrifice one soul to save another. Thus, the question
here is being discussed to show how great the responsibility
may be.

An unintentional miscarriage may happen when a mother is so
negligent that she loses her baby through exhausting herself.
An employer may make a pregnant employee work so much
that she ends up having a miscarriage. Such an employer will
be responsible and will have violated the Sixth Commandment
in this respect. A husband may bear this same responsibility if
he does not care about the health of his pregnant wife thus
causing her to miscarry.

Peace.

Thanks be to God for the clear teachings of His Holiness Pope Shenoudah III!

selam

Edited to correct spelling of His Holiness' title.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:05:34 PM by Salpy » Logged

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 09:05:26 PM »

^ Any particular reason you chose to revive this thread, when we already have so many about abortion, without anything meaningful to contribute?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Mivac

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 09:22:48 PM »

Another point to consider is if the mother has already other children and who will be taking care of them if she dies in order to save the unborn child.       

I would hope the Parish would rally around and help.  Embarrassed
Mivac

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 09:40:41 PM »

Anastasios,

Peace.

This might be an issue where the EO and OO are at odds.  The EO Church teaches that there is no instance--at all--where a direct abortion can occur, and that the Church has competence in this realm since abortion is murder plain and simple.  I am concerned that you are reducing the church's ability to stand against immorality by reducing things as black and white as abortion to moral fluidity; I think we can have economy in the way we treat a woman who has had an abortion (show the maximum amount of mercy towards her and help her in any way we can after she has done the deed) but the Church can't ever condone an abortion before it has happened under any circumstance, from an EO point of view.

BTW, I do intend to get back to your earlier post, but you kind of wore me out logically speaking and I still need to recover Smiley

Anastasios

You say show the maximum amount of mercy towards her and help her in any way we can....  I agree, but don't forget the other half of the equation, the men who are involved.

Part of my story:  When I was 20 years old I had relations with a gal I worked with for a period of time.  One day she just up'ed and disappeared.  A year later I received a letter, I had gotten her pregnant, she told me that she had an abortion, that she was feeling like a murderess, and she did it to protect my future as I was in college.  The very core of my soul was severly wounded that day I read that letter, a numbness i wish to never experience again, anger, guilt, shame, etc.  Satan had a field day with me.  I won't go into the sordid details but i punished myself and tried to destroy myself for 18 years, keeping it hidden within, wishing to die and for many of those years exceptionally angry with God.  Then one day I could not handle it anymore, my life was in complete termoil, I couldn't be angry at God for what I had done and someone else.  I just wanted healing being so utterly broken inside so I turned to our Lord and a real battle started within myself which brings me up to the 18th year of my struggle.    Today I am so dependent on the Lord, I fear losing Him, it would be like riping my skeleton out of my flesh and me crumpling into a pile of goo.

Lord have mercy on me.

Jim
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 10:07:16 PM »

^ Any particular reason you chose to revive this thread, when we already have so many about abortion, without anything meaningful to contribute?

Any time is a good time to thank God for His Holiness.   Smiley

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 10:08:53 PM »

Anastasios,

Peace.

Anastasios

You say show the maximum amount of mercy towards her and help her in any way we can....  I agree, but don't forget the other half of the equation, the men who are involved.

Part of my story:  When I was 20 years old I had relations with a gal I worked with for a period of time.  One day she just up'ed and disappeared.  A year later I received a letter, I had gotten her pregnant, she told me that she had an abortion, that she was feeling like a murderess, and she did it to protect my future as I was in college.  The very core of my soul was severly wounded that day I read that letter, a numbness i wish to never experience again, anger, guilt, shame, etc.  Satan had a field day with me.  I won't go into the sordid details but i punished myself and tried to destroy myself for 18 years, keeping it hidden within, wishing to die and for many of those years exceptionally angry with God.  Then one day I could not handle it anymore, my life was in complete termoil, I couldn't be angry at God for what I had done and someone else.  I just wanted healing being so utterly broken inside so I turned to our Lord and a real battle started within myself which brings me up to the 18th year of my struggle.    Today I am so dependent on the Lord, I fear losing Him, it would be like riping my skeleton out of my flesh and me crumpling into a pile of goo.

Lord have mercy on me.

Jim

Thank you for sharing your story.  I think we often do forget how this issue affects the men involved.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »

Anastasios,

Peace.

Anastasios

Lord have mercy on me.

Jim

Thank you for sharing your story.  I think we often do forget how this issue affects the men involved.
Indeed. This story is quite a refreshing departure from the usual grandstanding on this issue.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 10:15:47 PM »

Indeed. This story is quite a refreshing departure from the usual grandstanding on this issue.

I'm glad he meets your approval.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 10:30:58 PM »

What's that supposed to mean?

Mivac

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 10:33:49 PM »

If you believe I was grandstanding or something, I am sorry, not my intent. 

Please don't forget the power of personal testimony of where a person came from to where they are going, you can look at the lives of Saints and their past to see that power.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 10:38:01 PM »

Please don't forget the power of personal testimony of where a person came from to where they are going, you can look at the lives of Saints and their past to see that power.
Not at all! Your post was quite the antithesis of grandstanding.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:38:16 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 11:05:35 PM »

Grandstanding?  I think not...

An Orthodox View of Abortion
The Amicus Curiae Submitted to the Supreme Court of the United States by the Orthodox Church

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/abortion.aspx

Grandstanding friom the Fathers and the Ecumenical Fathers?

Canon 91 of the Quinisext Ecumenical Council (691 A.D.), decreed:  "those who furnish drugs for the purpose of procuring abortion, and those who take fetus-killing poisons, they are made subject to the penalty prescribed for murderers."
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »

Not at all! Your post was quite the antithesis of grandstanding.
I'll take this rare opportunity to agree and second Mr. Y's post.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 11:14:20 PM »

The Amicus Curiae Submitted to the Supreme Court of the United States by the Orthodox Church

Canon 91 of the Quinisext Ecumenical Council (691 A.D.), decreed:  "those who furnish drugs for the purpose of procuring abortion, and those who take fetus-killing poisons, they are made subject to the penalty prescribed for murderers."

You see, this sort of thing is exactly the problem with abortion discussions: Citations from canons, from laws, from this or that authority--there's no heart in the discussion, no compassion. I liked the genuine, honest story for its candor, and its concern more for the people involved in abortions than for the theory behind it. I'm sorry that offended you.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:14:51 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 11:46:58 PM »

You see, this sort of thing is exactly the problem with abortion discussions: Citations from canons, from laws, from this or that authority--there's no heart in the discussion, no compassion. I liked the genuine, honest story for its candor, and its concern more for the people involved in abortions than for the theory behind it. I'm sorry that offended you.

Yeah, those Fathers had no heart and no compassion. They just decided to condemn abortion because they were a bunch of callous misogygenists. Or, then again, maybe they were guided by the Holy Spirit, thus their hearts were full of compassion for the innocent child in the womb.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 11:49:51 PM »

I think the canons and church laws are concerned about the people involved...not the least of which the infant who is about to be torn limb from limb and tossed into a trash can...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:50:43 PM by bogdan » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 11:54:27 PM »

Yeah, those Fathers had no heart and no compassion. They just decided to condemn abortion because they were a bunch of callous misogygenists. Or, then again, maybe they were guided by the Holy Spirit, thus their hearts were full of compassion for the innocent child in the womb.
Are you actually saying that what is posted on OC.net is guided by the Holy Spirit?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 11:56:44 PM »

I think the canons and church laws are concerned about the people involved...not the least of which the infant who is about to be torn limb from limb and tossed into a trash can...

I think you're both barking up the wrong tree.  I don't think Mr. Y was talking about what the Fathers themselves had to say.  ISTM he was talking about how people on this forum use the Fathers in a way that is crassly insensitive.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 12:06:36 AM »

Are you actually saying that what is posted on OC.net is guided by the Holy Spirit?

I hope not.  I think he was referring to the Church Fathers.

bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 12:06:54 AM »

I think you're both barking up the wrong tree.  I don't think Mr. Y was talking about what the Fathers themselves had to say.  ISTM he was talking about how people on this forum use the Fathers in a way that is crassly insensitive.

What is insensitive about the way the Fathers are being used?

I think Christians in general have developed such a high tolerance for sin that we can't handle the moral clarity of the Fathers when they speak so bluntly on these issues. I mean, St. Basil calls those who procure abortions murderers, in the same paragraph as axe-murderers and highway robbers (First Canonical Letter, Canon 8 ). On the subject of abortion there is no gray to be found with the Fathers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:28:06 AM by bogdan » Logged
Tags: abortion Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: