OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 09:57:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy and corrupted scripture  (Read 1325 times) Average Rating: 0
TruthSeeker

OC.net

« on: August 31, 2005, 03:02:42 AM »

I am of the opinion that the Alexandrian texts are corrupted...and so I do not use the modern english translations  of the bible(except New King James) since they come from these inferior texts.

I take it that the orthodox church has always used the byzantine texts.

What is the churches stance on the Alexandrian texts and the bibles they have spawned?

Did you know that there is a new testament out there that has been translated from the Majority Text(byzantine).
http://www.emtvonline.com/

NULL
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 03:42:20 AM »

What is the difference between the Byzantine and Alexandrian texts?  Are the differences major?

Personally I use the King James Bible as I prefer the linquistic style, but I check any verses that need clarification against my (Church) Greek Bible - and if I am still stumped I usually look at Trempella's interpretations. 
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 06:07:59 AM »

What is the difference between the Byzantine and Alexandrian texts? Are the differences major?

Read the text you... Greek!

LOL

The actual site has an interesting observation on the matter.
Very interesting.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 06:08:18 AM by sin_vladimirov » Logged

Lord have mercy.
donkeyhotay

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 12:35:47 PM »

What a cheesy website.  I'm sorry, but I'm skeptical of any single person's translation.

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 02:56:51 PM »

I'm looking at this and noticing several things.

If you look these passages up in the Unbound Bible you can see that a lot of the time the English translations take the "received" interpretation anyway. Clearly (and our mystery respondent tends to admit this) translation here is more than just picking one version and rendering it as literally as possible. (And in fact the KJV follows that principle.)

It's also clear that the NRSV is adventurous. But listening to familiar passages on Sunday mornings will tell you that.

In between, the secret agenda of this fellow is that an infallible-as-he-takes-it bible requires an infallible text. It seems to me, in practice, that other than disrecommending the NRSV (which I would in any case) his point is feeble to crankish.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 03:08:23 PM »

An interesting thing from the life of St. Silouan the Athonite - the Patron of my username! - comes to mind.  He said that if the scriptures, the liturgical texts, the patristic writtings were all lost overnight it wouldn't matter.  Those imbued with the Holy Spirit that are living now would re-write them, not word for word, but in the same spirit.  Nothing of the Church would be lost. 
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 02:04:15 PM »

What is the difference between the Byzantine and Alexandrian texts?  Are the differences major?

While compared to the Byzantine, the Alexandrian text-type tends to have a docetist understanding of Christ. For example, the resurrection in the Gospel of Mark is omitted in the Alexandrian text. The Alexandrian-text type is error filled, and just plain sloppy. Forget the NIV, being the "oldest" does not make a text the "most reliable."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 02:16:43 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: