Author Topic: Inside the World's Only Surviving Tattoo Shop For Medieval Pilgrims  (Read 3177 times)

Offline CoptoGeek

• of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
  • OC.net guru
Inside the World's Only Surviving Tattoo Shop For Medieval Pilgrims

For 700 years the Razzouk family has been tattooing marks of faith. Coptic Christians who settled in Jerusalem four generations ago, the family had learned the craft of tattooing in Egypt, where the devout wear similar inscriptions. Evidence of such tattoos dates back at least as far as the 8th century in Egypt and the 6th century in the Holy Land, where Procopius of Gaza wrote of tattooed Christians bearing designs of crosses and Christ’s name. Early tattoos self-identified indigenous Christians in the Middle East and Egypt. Later, as the faithful came to the Holy Land on pilgrimage, the practice expanded to offer these travelers permanent evidence of their devotion and peregrination.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/inside-the-worlds-only-surviving-tattoo-shop-for-medieval-pilgrims
"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
Re: Inside the World's Only Surviving Tattoo Shop For Medieval Pilgrims
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »
This is really neat. 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »
This is really neat.

I thought so too. Here's a pretty cool fact:

"Several of these tattoo stamps, made of olive and cedar wood, remain in the Razzouk family and were used to ink the arms of Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie, King George V and King Edward VII of England."

http://www.larskrutak.com/the-razzouks-tattooing-for-700-years/
"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 06:28:20 PM »
Wow, thank you for sharing.  This will be a definite stop when i make pilgrimage someday.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »
Somewhere here I have the picture of my own Jerusalem Cross (got, however, in Zeitoun)
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 08:32:42 PM »
Cool :)
Fear the LURKER!!11!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 08:33:57 PM »
So "Hi Mom" and an eagle with a flag are out?
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 07:11:17 AM »
Sure, if you want to waste his talent.  I'm sure he'll accept the money anyway.

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 08:21:24 AM »

Ask for a "Hi Theotokos" tattoo. :laugh:
Fear the LURKER!!11!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 01:10:05 PM »

Ask for a "Hi Theotokos" tattoo. :laugh:
:D
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
Thanks for posting - I know someone that may have used their services.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 06:45:44 PM »
I very much like Fr. John Whiteford; a rare occasion where I found myself disagreeing with him was his implicit criticism of the Coptic and Bosnian Catholic practice of tattoos as a protection of Christian identity in the face of potential forced conversion to Islam.

By the way, recently at St. Anthonys Monastery at the US, an older Copt brought his grandchildren hoping the monks could tell him where they might receive the cross tattoos, but they were unable to assist.  I asked them afterwards if they thought the cross tattoo was still important or warranted in a non-Muslim country like the US, but they did not know.  I found this incident illuminating.

Alas the boys werent that familiar with Coptic church services; they did not know what to do during the Agpeya for instance. A tattoo of a cross will not substitute for parents who are indifferent on the subject of raising their children in the Church, so I try to remember them in my prayers and I would ask you mignt do the same.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 10:17:51 PM »
Do they tattoo modern pilgrims too? Or just time travelers
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 10:31:36 PM »
This is a custom for Armenian pilgrims to Jerusalem, though most people now go to a conventional tattoo parlor somewhere else in the city. That's how I got my haji (the term for the tattoo). A good portion of the Armenians I know, priests included, have one. Older people have somewhat horrific stories about old women in the Armenian Quarter who would tattoo entire groups with the same rusty needle. I've even heard stories about hajis done with razor blade, with ink rubbed into the wound. Of course, the modern way is preferable... Wish I'd known about these people before I went, though my haji ended up quite good.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 12:11:51 AM »
I very much like Fr. John Whiteford; a rare occasion where I found myself disagreeing with him was his implicit criticism of the Coptic and Bosnian Catholic practice of tattoos as a protection of Christian identity in the face of potential forced conversion to Islam.

By the way, recently at St. Anthonys Monastery at the US, an older Copt brought his grandchildren hoping the monks could tell him where they might receive the cross tattoos, but they were unable to assist.  I asked them afterwards if they thought the cross tattoo was still important or warranted in a non-Muslim country like the US, but they did not know.  I found this incident illuminating.

Alas the boys werent that familiar with Coptic church services; they did not know what to do during the Agpeya for instance. A tattoo of a cross will not substitute for parents who are indifferent on the subject of raising their children in the Church, so I try to remember them in my prayers and I would ask you mignt do the same.

None of this has anything to do with the articles shared by CoptoGeek.

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 11:53:42 AM »
Somewhere here I have the picture of my own Jerusalem Cross (got, however, in Zeitoun)

I haven't yet been to the Holy Land, but it's definitely on my bucket list. Where did you get the tattoo placed? Most Copts with one have it on the right wrist, but it's normally just a simple cross.  I may do that and get a more ornate one on the shoulder. The Jerusalem Cross would be a good idea.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 12:20:28 AM »

Most Copts with one have it on the right wrist, but it's normally just a simple cross.

Like this badass:

razzouktattoo.com

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »

Like this badass:

razzouktattoo.com

Yup, older tattoos were right on the wrist but that's too big a liability nowadays.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 09:18:42 PM »
Nice  :)

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 11:56:30 PM »
Sweet!

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 12:32:13 AM »

Like this badass:

razzouktattoo.com

Yup, older tattoos were right on the wrist but that's too big a liability nowadays.

Ive seen kids of that age with tatoos on the wrist.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »
So what is the Orthodox position on Tattooing in general?
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
As far as I can tell, there really isn't one. Some interpret it as a variety of mutilation and an impediment to the priesthood, though.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 12:14:55 PM »

Believe it or not in the Coptic Church, despite the tradition of right wrist tattooing, it's still controversial for various reasons.  The main one is the idea that our bodies being Temples of God is changed or even "mutilated", and thus shunned upon.  The position is a quick over-reaction to what is seen in the West as over-"decorating" the body with piercings and tattoos, and not the simply faith-preserving and defying action that was done in Egypt on that wrist.  It has also been a reaction even in Egypt to protect folks from going to tattoo and piercing places that do not practice antiseptic techniques and thus cause transmission of diseases like hep C (many of them though unfortunately would cite Old Testament verses for support).

Whatever the case may be, HG Bishop Youssef of the Coptic Southern US Diocese gave the famous quote that we now use to answer this question in our Coptic parishes that rather than asking about tattooing our wrists with the Cross, have we "tattooed" our hearts with it?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:17:31 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »

Believe it or not in the Coptic Church, despite the tradition of right wrist tattooing, it's still controversial for various reasons.  The main one is the idea that our bodies being Temples of God is changed or even "mutilated", and thus shunned upon.  The position is a quick over-reaction to what is seen in the West as over-"decorating" the body with piercings and tattoos, and not the simply faith-preserving and defying action that was done in Egypt on that wrist.  It has also been a reaction even in Egypt to protect folks from going to tattoo and piercing places that do not practice antiseptic techniques and thus cause transmission of diseases like hep C (many of them though unfortunately would cite Old Testament verses for support).

Whatever the case may be, HG Bishop Youssef of the Coptic Southern US Diocese gave the famous quote that we now use to answer this question in our Coptic parishes that rather than asking about tattooing our wrists with the Cross, have we "tattooed" our hearts with it?

+ 1

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx