Author Topic: Infant's Reflux and Receiving the Eucharist  (Read 1878 times)

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Infant's Reflux and Receiving the Eucharist
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2016, 06:56:53 PM »
Once, I nearly abatained from communion as I had a violent stomach flu for weeks, and in fact had just vomitted outside the church, on my way to the restroom, part way during the liturgy.

However, I was feeling so poorly that I did communicate, and instantly upon receiving the Body of our Lord, the nausea was gone, completely, and all the pain in my abdomen with it.  I was able to eat normally again, and all symtpoms stopped completely.  This was on Pascha in 2014. 

That said, if I were seasick or casually nauseated and not very ill I would not partake.  But in that special case, Im glad I did, because the Eucharist did actually cure me.   Completely.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Jurisdiction: High Church Methodist
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2016, 09:28:24 PM »
Once, I nearly abatained from communion as I had a violent stomach flu for weeks, and in fact had just vomitted outside the church, on my way to the restroom, part way during the liturgy.

However, I was feeling so poorly that I did communicate, and instantly upon receiving the Body of our Lord, the nausea was gone, completely, and all the pain in my abdomen with it.  I was able to eat normally again, and all symtpoms stopped completely.  This was on Pascha in 2014. 

That said, if I were seasick or casually nauseated and not very ill I would not partake.  But in that special case, Im glad I did, because the Eucharist did actually cure me.   Completely.

Glory to God!
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

O Holy God, have mercy on us! All ye holy ones in heaven, pray for us!

How playful he is, our sweet baby God!

"Better to salute icon like Boy Scout than to get lipstick on it." - Father Vasiliy

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2016, 10:58:09 PM »
I doubt a parish change is the change that would help here.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2016, 12:13:38 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2016, 12:18:27 AM »
Will no one rid Scamandrius of this troublesome priest?

Don't say it too loudly.

I didn't know you have your own Stanisław of Szczepanów.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2016, 12:35:55 PM »
Maybe this belongs in faith issues, but I'm wondering what to do about my  4 1/2 month old son who has reflux.  He spits up pretty much every time during and immediately after feeding and sometimes he will still do it even about 2 hours after he finished his bottle.  He is on zantac and our physician say that this is something he will eventually grow out of.  ANyway, because of the frequency of his spitting up, my priest has been hesitant to commune him because he might vomit up the body and blood of Christ.  I know the rules that come whenever the Body and BLood of our Lord come up (burning the material it is on) but for my son to be denied the Eucharist simply because of his reflux (no fault of his) and what could possibly be happen seems to be a bit cold.   Have any of you had similar issues and what did you to do rectifty this?

That said, I know that this is something he will eventually outgrow, but if any of you parents have some solutions or tricks to helping him not spit up as much, I'd be grateful for that, too.

No snarky remarks, please.  I'm dead serious about this.

We have a 5-month-old who was spitting up a lot a month or so ago. Our priest didn't deny him communion, but he did eventually stop spitting up. I don't have any advice to give, just wanted to say it gets better.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2016, 09:15:52 PM »
Maybe this belongs in faith issues, but I'm wondering what to do about my  4 1/2 month old son who has reflux.  He spits up pretty much every time during and immediately after feeding and sometimes he will still do it even about 2 hours after he finished his bottle.  He is on zantac and our physician say that this is something he will eventually grow out of.  ANyway, because of the frequency of his spitting up, my priest has been hesitant to commune him because he might vomit up the body and blood of Christ.  I know the rules that come whenever the Body and BLood of our Lord come up (burning the material it is on) but for my son to be denied the Eucharist simply because of his reflux (no fault of his) and what could possibly be happen seems to be a bit cold.   Have any of you had similar issues and what did you to do rectifty this?

That said, I know that this is something he will eventually outgrow, but if any of you parents have some solutions or tricks to helping him not spit up as much, I'd be grateful for that, too.

No snarky remarks, please.  I'm dead serious about this.

We have a 5-month-old who was spitting up a lot a month or so ago. Our priest didn't deny him communion, but he did eventually stop spitting up. I don't have any advice to give, just wanted to say it gets better.

ANd it has gotten better for my son, too.  Our physician told us to start giving him rice cereal and that has made a bit of a difference.  He still does spit up (all babies do) but it is nowhere near the frequency it used to be and he doesn't seem to experience the same amount of discomfort.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline AClaire11

• Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: Romanian Episcopate
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2016, 09:00:55 AM »
My daughter used to spit up constantly, to the point that we would go through multiple bibs a day. She's 6 months old now and rarely spits up. It won't be forever.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2017, 06:13:34 PM »
I wish I'd seen this post earlier. I just don't come to the forum very often. As of late, I come only to recieve argumentative messages which just makes the experience less enjoyable. In any case; I would ask that your son have a "dampened" spoon and a blessing if not full communion. I would also look into having the formula thickened with a thickener like Simply Thick. Rice cereal fills babies up and can lead to dehydration or the baby not comsuming the oz a day they are supposed to. I know all about thickening since our now 5 year old still suffers from dysphagia and has a prescription for thickener. He was on a prescription formula called EleCare too once I had to wean him; expensive stuff.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2017, 05:34:03 PM »
I wish I'd seen this post earlier. I just don't come to the forum very often. As of late, I come only to recieve argumentative messages which just makes the experience less enjoyable. In any case; I would ask that your son have a "dampened" spoon and a blessing if not full communion. I would also look into having the formula thickened with a thickener like Simply Thick. Rice cereal fills babies up and can lead to dehydration or the baby not comsuming the oz a day they are supposed to. I know all about thickening since our now 5 year old still suffers from dysphagia and has a prescription for thickener. He was on a prescription formula called EleCare too once I had to wean him; expensive stuff.

His reflux has gone down significantly, to the point that I don't think he needs to be on the medication any more so my fear of him receiving the Eucharist and then spitting it up almost immediately have gone away. 
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2017, 05:47:53 PM »
That is excellent news Scamandrius!