OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 08:14:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Input Please  (Read 2529 times) Average Rating: 0
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« on: August 29, 2005, 09:42:01 PM »

IC XC NIKA
To my reader:
The Lord give you His peace.

As I slowly wind down on St. Gregory's "On God and Man", I've come under a tough decision as to which book I should read next.  I have 3 books next in line to choose from, and I was wondering if someone could help me choose. 

This is a "happy topic", so take it with a light heart, and please, if you read 1 or all 3 books, please give your suggestion as too which one I should read next; as well as your review of the book.

The books are:

St. Cyril's "On the Unity of Christ"
St. Gregory of Nyssa's "On the Soul and Resurrection"
St. John of Damascus's "Three Treaties on Divine Images"

Thanks for all who will read my post, and thanks squared to all how will give input.

in XC,
shawn
browneyedgirl

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 07:56:25 AM »

why does it matter which one you read first? just pick one at random and move on to the next on your list.
S_N_Bulgakov

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 10:26:30 AM »

St. Gregory of Nyssa is my choice any time,..

But you would not be surprised by that one would you?  Wink

IC XC

S_N_B

For scripture says, God is seated where He is known  (Pr 11 :16) ; and thus the pure nous is said to be a throne of God.

[Evagrios the Solitary, Peri Logismoi 41
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 11:09:01 AM »

St. Gregory would be my last choice of those three... but then people at Amazon.com didn't seem to like my review so maybe I'm just way off Wink St. John of Damascus sounds good, although the treatise is about images it covers (directly or indirectly) a wide range of subjects (icons, incarnation, communion, etc.)

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 11:27:06 AM »

St. John of Damascus also would be my first choice, maybe because I'm visually oriented so I can picture in my head various icons.

Plus, St. John does mention multiple topics, so the interconnectness of the Faith as represented by icons is made more clear.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 01:40:28 PM »

IC XC NIKA
browneyedgirl,
The reason I ask, is sometimes reading books in aÂÂ  certain order helps make the following book easier to understand.

As prodomos states, on St. John's work, it has to do with the incarnation as well.ÂÂ  So before reading St. John's work, I'd probably read St. Athansius's work "On the Incarnation" (which I've already done).

Anyhoo, you guys still have a week.ÂÂ  I'll give the winner a free sugar cube (that's in my pocket).ÂÂ  So go for the victory of the sugar cube!

Tongue - ich leibe zucher!
in XC,
shawn
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 01:40:54 PM by coptic orthodox boy » Logged
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 02:07:31 PM »

ich leibe zucher!

Uh-oh another Germanophile on these boards. 
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 02:51:57 PM »

Tongue - ich leibe zucher!

Grammar police here.  You have been arrested for making a typo.  It is "Ich liebe Zucker."
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 03:42:46 PM »

IC XC NIKA
Elisha,

Did your teachers in school ever tell you that you should always go with you first guess?ÂÂ  Well, mine always did.ÂÂ  Haha, I had zucker, but it looked funny, so I put an "h."ÂÂ  Darn it!

in XC,
shawn

p.s.  I'm over that entire German thing now.  Go Mandarin (it's music to my ears)!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 03:45:04 PM by coptic orthodox boy » Logged
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 08:03:51 PM »

St. Gregory would be my last choice of those three... but then people at Amazon.com didn't seem to like my review so maybe I'm just way off Wink St. John of Damascus sounds good, although the treatise is about images it covers (directly or indirectly) a wide range of subjects (icons, incarnation, communion, etc.)

Maybe your Amazon review wasn't "liked" because there's something wrong with you.  Maybe you came across as an arrogant mean-spirited jerk.  Have you considered that possibility? 

Just a suggestion...out of the 'kindness' of my heart.  You know...just trying to 'pay it forward.' 

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 09:05:19 AM »

Methinks the lady doth protest too much....

Jennifer,
Paradosis gave an answer to a question you posted:, namely:
do you think I'm being too 'touchy?' 

Just because you don't like his answer, there is no need to carry on in such a juvenile way. A sign of maturity is the ability to receive critique.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 11:23:06 AM »

Maybe your Amazon review wasn't "liked" because there's something wrong with you.  Maybe you came across as an arrogant mean-spirited jerk.  Have you considered that possibility?

Wow Jennifer, such anger...
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »

Maybe your Amazon review wasn't "liked" because there's something wrong with you.ÂÂ  Maybe you came across as an arrogant mean-spirited jerk.ÂÂ  Have you considered that possibility?

Wow Jennifer, such anger...

Yeah, I'm angry with Paradosis.ÂÂ  Out of curiosity, why didn't his nearly identical post from yesterday warrant any kind of response from you?ÂÂ  Why not a "Wow Prodomos, such anger..."?ÂÂ  

« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 01:04:19 PM by Jennifer » Logged
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 01:04:01 PM »

Paradosis gave an answer to a question you posted:, namely:
Just because you don't like his answer, there is no need to carry on in such a juvenile way. A sign of maturity is the ability to receive critique.

He didn't respond "yes, you're being too touchy."  He responded with a personal attack which can hardly be construed to be a "critique."  This is the second time he's personally attacked me completely out of the blue.  Yes, it's "juvenile" to respond to a personal attack with a personal attack but some people should only be dealt with in a "juvenile" way. 

BTW, why not comment on Paradosis's "juvenile" "response" to my post?  We're not treating people differently here are we?  Surely not! 

coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 04:18:59 PM »

IC XC NIKA
Guys,

This topic is suppose to be carefree and with a lightheart.  How is it that almost every thread turns into an argument?  I could probably just write "p" in a thread, and someone would be able to turn my comment into something worth arguing about.  So, to bring it back to the subject, please read my first post, and give your input.  And as I promised, Mandarin: Xie Xie.

in XC,
shawn
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 04:40:46 PM »

Perhaps most of us didn't see Justin's post as juvenille.  Afterall it wasn't the first time you have come to the board looking for sympathy because you are so great and wonderful while other people are quite inferior to you.  So the message was quite valid - maybe the problem isn't with everyone else but you.  For example some things happened to me at work that were completely unfair and not my fault, but my spiritual father guided me to think instead that my not living the gospel commandments caused them.  Such creates humility, which brings repentance, which brings love, which brings the grace of God (to paraphrase Elder Paisios the Athonite). 

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 05:34:38 PM »

St. Cyril's "On the Unity of Christ"
St. Gregory of Nyssa's "On the Soul and Resurrection"
St. John of Damascus's "Three Treaties on Divine Images"

My own personal order would be:

St. Cyril...'cause I'd be interested to see the origianal common ground shared by both EOs and OOs, as well as how we both adapted his terminology later...

St. John...as has been mentioned, he takes a topic that's essential to the Faith and interweaves it all throughout, so a former Protestant (who wondered quite a bit what icons really had to do with anything) could see what the deal was...

St. Gregory...'cause...I just don't really know that much about him to already have taken a personal interest in any issues surrounding him...

And as I promised, Mandarin: Xie Xie.

Bu ku qi.

Y'all (we knew it was coming)...

As much as I'm sure cob (and the rest of us) love this back-and-forth about records of wrongs with Jennifer, Paradosis, and who knows who else, kindly kill it, k?ÂÂ  Or go to the mattresses PMs, all right?ÂÂ  Thanks.

Pedro.

And, apparently, my posts are leet.  Or 1337.  Great.  Thanks, Bobby.  Kiss
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 05:35:43 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 05:35:32 PM »

Perhaps most of us didn't see Justin's post as juvenille.ÂÂ  Afterall it wasn't the first time you have come to the board looking for sympathy because you are so great and wonderful while other people are quite inferior to you.ÂÂ  So the message was quite valid - maybe the problem isn't with everyone else but you.ÂÂ  For example some things happened to me at work that were completely unfair and not my fault, but my spiritual father guided me to think instead that my not living the gospel commandments caused them.ÂÂ  Such creates humility, which brings repentance, which brings love, which brings the grace of God (to paraphrase Elder Paisios the Athonite).ÂÂ  

Ahhh...Nektarios, the epitome of the "angry young man..."  I didn't come here "looking for sympathy."  I wanted other people's input into whether it was rude or not to fail to respond to an offer to help. ÂÂ

And whoever (not me) said anything about me being "so great and wonderful?"  Where is that coming from? ÂÂ

And if most of you don't see Paradosis's posts to me as "juvenile" then this board is in even more trouble than I'd originally thought. ÂÂ

And you know what...maybe the problem (your and Paradosis' rude responses to me) isn't with me but with you.  Have you considered the possibility that you (and him) might have some kind of problem that causes you to be rude to others and to be unable to feel sympathy?  Have you considered that only people who are not humble and loving tell other people tell other people that there is something wrong with??? ÂÂ

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 05:41:10 PM »

Have you considered that only people who are not humble and loving tell other people tell other people that there is something wrong with??? ÂÂ

K, I'm gonna jump in on this one...

Jennifer,

I'm sorry that things went so sour for you, both in the relationship in real life and here on the board.ÂÂ  I do know, however, that not only folks who are proud and unloving tell folks they have something wrong with them.ÂÂ  I'm sorry you took their tone to be offensive--not apologizing FOR them, but I do feel bad FOR YOU that you feel this way about it.

You did not ask for my advice, I know, but here it is: make the first move, and let it go.ÂÂ  Pages and pages of debate on the subject (which this will inevitably degenerate into, since we all talk too much on here) will not ease the feelings nor solve any problems.ÂÂ  Just turn the other cheek and you'll be fine.ÂÂ  So will they.ÂÂ  Pray for 'em.ÂÂ  Pray for yourself.

And, if you've got time, pray for me.ÂÂ  Grin

But...again...if you don't take me up on this stuff I've just said...at least take the topic elsewhere (like, devote a FFA thread to it and see who bites).

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 05:42:08 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 06:02:10 PM »

I started a new topic here http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6999.msg92067#msg92067
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 05:38:35 AM »

"p"

And what exactley is that supposed to men? Is that a challenge?  Cheesy LOL

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2005, 02:05:40 PM »

IC XC NIKA
ozgeorge,
Always have to be "mr. funny" eh? Wink
in XC,
shawn
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print