OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:04:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer list for people who left the Orthodox Church  (Read 3326 times) Average Rating: 0
GeorgeS

« on: August 29, 2005, 05:55:12 PM »

Greetings,

We have started a prayer list for those Orthodox Christians (baptized) who have left the Church for one reason or another. You may add names (please follow the guidelines) and you are all invited to come and pray for those listed.

http://orthodoxwitness.wikispaces.org/Prayer+list+for+Ex-Believers

You are also welcome to join our group Orthodox Witness, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodoxwitness and learn how you could help bring a person to faith.

- G.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 09:43:12 AM »

Nice idea.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 09:53:23 AM »

I added a name from somebody on this board!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 08:18:10 PM »

TomS?
Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 09:19:46 AM »

TomS left Orthodoxy? When?
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 09:36:10 AM »

TomS?

Meow!  Grin
Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 09:40:24 AM »

TomS,

Just out of curiosity, your picture is intriguing, but it's too small to decipher.

Is that an Orthodox priest blessing a US marine?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 09:40:42 AM by Antiochian » Logged
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 09:52:21 AM »

TomS,

Just out of curiosity, your picture is intriguing, but it's too small to decipher.

Is that an Orthodox priest blessing a US marine?

Yes. It is from the GOA website. It was taken a few days after 9/11 when the Archbishop visited the site. Here is the link:

http://www.goarch.org/en/special/september11/

P.S. - And No, I have not left Orthodoxy. Some people just like being catty!  Wink
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 09:55:10 AM by TomS » Logged
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 10:29:05 AM »

No, it wasn't TomS. My understanding was that TomS had not formally left the Church...

Go to the site....you'll see soembody's name on there that you might recognize.

It'd be similar to a name like 'Apostato'....

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 10:41:57 AM »

I've been contacted about this "prayer" list, and I feel that it is, in it's way, unChristian. It's not that I disapporve of the prayers; it's rather that such a list is also about "outing" people, which I think is malign. Let your prayers on this be in secret.

OC.net moderator/administrator dudes, I ask you to officially separate this forum from any such list.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 10:49:45 AM »

I would like to point out that the list specifically asks only for first names, so that anonymity within the secular world is maintained. I am certain there is more than one 'Chris' in the Orthodox world, and if I leave the Church, it'd be hard for me to assume that someone was outing me by simply having someone named 'Chris' on that list.

Keble
Archon

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 10:59:47 AM »

What I see is that this call for restraint isn't being observed. BTW, Chris, I'm not condemning you per se, because I suspect that the troublesome entry was probably posted by another.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 11:09:21 AM »

What I see is that this call for restraint isn't being observed. BTW, Chris, I'm not condemning you per se, because I suspect that the troublesome entry was probably posted by another.

First off, I was not feeling 'condemned' by you, so there's no need to worry about hurting my all-too-damageable feelings.

Here are the instructions from the site regarding putting down someone's name:

Please include the first baptized names only (full Christian names, i.e. "Michael" or "Mikhail", not "Misha", "Mike", or "Mick"). Do not add middle or last names, nor any additional notes of any kind please! When adding a new name or names, please remember to pray for all that are already on this list. If by God's grace someone has returned to the Church, please remove their name from the list, and remember of course to thank God.

However, I looked at the site, and as of 11:06 am Eastern time, only first names were listed (one former Reader was listed, but I am certain there may be more than one 'Reader Sergei' in the formerly Orthodox world).

Was there a post that had a first and last name that you saw? When?

If so, at least the site admin edited that name from the list.

Keble
Archon

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005, 11:48:18 AM »

Chris, if you don't understand what you're seeing here, then that's all for the better. Armando asked for our prayers, and it is well that we offer them up (not that those of a DP are likely to count for squat, under the circumstances). Posting a list of apostates (to use the hard word for it), even with the names filed off, is not entirely charity.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 12:16:39 PM »

Please explain to me what is more charitable than our prayers?

GeorgeS

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 06:32:26 PM »

Hello everyone,

I'm the one who made the original posting about the prayer list. Thanks to those who have already made use of it!

Just so I'm clear...

1) The list, as someone already pointed out, asks only for first names. I'm sure there's not just one, but a few hundred if not thousand Chris's and other such names on that list that are currently living, were baptized Orthodox, but have fallen away from Orthodoxy. If I ever find someone included a last name or other inappropriate information I will erase it as soon as I see it.

2)ÂÂ  If you have a son or daughter who has fallen away from faith, what weapons do you have to help them from falling into the abyss? We all know how seriously the Church views those who fall away. All too often our words and deeds fail, we cannot do anything else but PRAY. Your private prayers are certainly being heard, but we also read in the Gospel of St. Matthew (18:20): "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." This is clearly a call to communal prayer, for us to be involved in each other's salvation, not just to be secluded monads. That's why we have a Church!

The Internet gives us a marvellous opportunity to practice communal prayer. I think it is a mistake not to take such an opportunity, especially if someone's soul is in jeopardy. Don't we all know the price of a soul's loss? We're all ready to call an ambulance when we see someone's life in danger and involve as many people as it takes to save their life, how is this any different?

I'm sure if any of us were ever in spiritual chaos, we would appreciate as many people as possible petitioning the Lord on our behalf. Also, not all people are comfortable asking people they know to pray for someone in such a situation. We also know that we're often asked to pray for someone, but we usually don't take the time to do so, or do it laggardly, or we simply forget. With a system like this, where every person adds a name of someone they care about, they are asked to remember the names of the others on that list as well. Thus we are helping ensure that we are not alone in our prayers, that every time a new person visits the list and adds a name, that person is praying with us.

3) I've included some guidelines on how to use the list, and how NOT to use the list. I do certainly hope that people are obeying these guidelines, that is something I leave up to their conscience. I for one feel the Lord will always put our prayer to the right use, regardless of how the list is used. But this does not excuse people from ignoring the guidelines, if the list is full of the names of people who for one or another reason don't belong there, it would be a shame to tax the energy of a prayerful person in a way outside of what is intended. Those who wish to make their own lists are welcome to do so, if you sign up at http://www.wikispaces.org you can get your own space.

I also would like to point out that one should not discuss whether or not to put someone's name up in a public forum like this, that already goes against the spirit of the list.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 06:44:22 PM by GeorgeS » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: