OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 10:51:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At Franciscan, Discernment needed  (Read 1548 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: August 29, 2005, 10:20:53 AM »

This is for the most part a newsflash, although I do also hope to get input from members of this forum.

Last Thursday I moved into Franciscan University of Steubenvile.  I am Latin Rite Catholic, although I am not sure if I will remain that for much longer.  Things are going somewhat rough around here, since I am introverted and spiritually different (or at least it seems that way) from most people, although I expect that things will become better once I start making friends.

Yesterday morning I went with a group of University students to a Divine Liturgy at the local Ruthenian Catholic Church.  I absolutely loved the Divine Liturgy, and even if I do not become Orthodox, I will definitely see if I can change my rite to Ruthenian Catholic in about a year or two.

I have not yet decided on Orthodoxy.  Being here only a few days, I have not had the opportunity to visit the Orthodox Churches in the area.  While I find my heart being drawn to Eastern Christianity, I am not yet sure if Eastern Orthodoxy is the Way.  God has not yet spoken to my heart on this matter.  So, if you could, please pray for my discernment.  If I do become Orthodox, I think it will only be after studying here, when I have a firm understanding of Western theology and its relation to Eastern theology, and only afer much thought and prayer.  I appreciate your prayers and hope that everyone is doing well  Smiley

I will try to check this thread as often as I can, but as my room is not yet hooked up to the internet, I can only check this thread so often as I come to the library computer lab.   Tongue
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 10:29:56 AM »

Rest assured that many people will be praying for you.

Don't feel that a decision must be made immediately. Give yourself some time to listen to God's quiet whisper. Concentrate on your studies and prayer life for right now!

Please continue to post your thoughts and test your ideas here. In time it will be clear where God wants you and where Truth exists.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 01:24:43 PM »

:)Wonderful words, Chris!   I also will pray for you....should I just call you St. George?
God bless you on your studies and spiritual journey.     Juliana
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 08:27:05 PM »

Just remember if you ever want help with the Stuebenville area, drop me a line.  I've lived there all my life.  Too bad I'm at school myself now.  ANd I have no car, or I'd go to church with you some Saturday or Sunday.

-Philip.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 09:29:14 AM »

Thank you everyone for your advice.  Please continue to pray for me.  I'm trying to make friends here, but it's not working out as well as I had hoped.  Thanks!
palamas

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 04:49:17 PM »

hello,

this is my first time writing on this forum, but I felt I had to because I too went to FUS about two years ago and it was there that I began my own journey to Orthodoxy.

I had been firmly RC all of my life and had gone to Steubenville in order to study philosophy and theology.  I too had a fairly introverted and somewhat contemplative spirituality (I was always a fan of the desert fathers), which was quite the contrast to the  general charismatic flavor there.  Well, long story short I ended up being deeply interested in the Eastern Catholics and through some very painful soul searching finally became Orthodox this last February.

All I can say is just to keep searching and learning as much as you can, because in the end it was the greatest thing that could happen to me.
Krysostomos

Faith: catholic christian
Jurisdiction: Roman patriarchate

very eastern minded ...

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 05:56:10 AM »

ÂÂ  While I find my heart being drawn to Eastern Christianity, I am not yet sure if Eastern Orthodoxy is the Way.ÂÂ  

I´ve had the same feelings - more than fifteen years... I´ve studied eastern way by reading and by being a voluntery worker in orthodox monastery - serving as altar assistant. A very good school of liturgical life!
If it would have been possible to change the rite from rc to eastern catholic in Finland - I would have done that a long ago.
Well, nowadays I visit orthodox service much more often than roman catholic.
So still walkin´ and searchin´...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 06:01:16 AM by Krysostomos » Logged

"You may say I am a dreamer. But I am not the only one." John Lennon
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: