Author Topic: How do we know?  (Read 633 times)

Offline Niko92

How do we know?
« on: August 19, 2016, 03:36:22 AM »
Hey All,
Just had a thought, how do we know if it's the holy spirit that for example protects us in a dangerous situation or God or the angels?
How do we distinguish when angels are helping us compared to Jesus etc?

Offline FinnJames

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
Re: How do we know?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 09:34:20 AM »
That's an interesting question, and maybe someone will be able to answer it for you with certainty. But while you wait, isn't it enough to let the source of help when it is needed be a bit of a mystery? After all, if you've called the emergency number, it doesn't really matter whether the ambulance crew that comes to your rescue is tall or short, black or white, male or female.

Online WPM

• Citizenii Populii
  • Taxiarches
  • I am the Root of Existence
  • Faith: Lutheran Christian.
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
Knowledge passed down through the centuries of tradition.
<><

Offline Niko92

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 06:46:18 AM »
I am pretty happy with it but was just curious that was all :) I was randomly thinking about angels and the question popped up

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 07:03:31 AM »
I am pretty happy with it but was just curious that was all :) I was randomly thinking about angels and the question popped up

When it's happen you will understand.

Have you ever feel God's energy, if you feel it you will know that He is everything and there is no one except Him.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:22:26 AM by Indocern »

Offline FinnJames

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 07:36:54 AM »

Interesting. A friend recently asked me if Orthodox believe in angels. I had to tell her I've several times had an encounter with a stranger who's been unexpectedly helpful or walked past a stranger who was obviously in need without stopping. Only after we've parted do I begin to wonder if I've just been in the presence of an angel.

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 02:54:28 PM »
Hey All,
Just had a thought, how do we know if it's the holy spirit that for example protects us in a dangerous situation or God or the angels?
How do we distinguish when angels are helping us compared to Jesus etc?

We know from Scripture that the angels are continually doing the will of God. We also know that there are great hosts of them. That they are called "angels," which translated is "messengers," is another indication that they are common intermediaries between God and Man. On many occasions the eyes of Holy Prophets were opened to see hosts of protecting angels or a single angel who related his battles on Man's behalf (cf. vision of the Holy Prophet Daniel). Our holy father Jacob saw angels descending and ascending continuously upon a ladder laid from earth to the heavens. It would not be at all accurate to say that all the things of the Spirit of God that pertain to Man are by his angels -- we know that is not true. It also would not be accurate to think we could tell what grace is by angels or by another means. Yet we know without doubt that they serve mightily and constantly in God's plan for us.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy