Author Topic: German Catholic bishops praise 'teacher of the faith' Martin Luther ahead of Ref  (Read 502 times)

Offline Balthasar

• Elder

Catholic bishops in Germany have praised Martin Luther as a "gospel witness and teacher of the faith" ahead of the 500-year anniversary of the Protestant reformation next year.

The bishops' conference published a 206-page report, "The Reformation in Ecumenical Perspective" last week, and called for close ties with Protestants as the country prepares to host the celebrations in 2017.

The report, published on Tuesday, said Luther's emphasis on the importance of the Bible should be recognised by Catholics.

But a spokesman for the Magdeburg diocese told the Catholic News Service (CNS) that the Reformation continues to cause tensions in Germany especially "in religiously separated families".

The ecumenical commission's deputy chair, Bishop Heinz Algermissen of Fulda told the CNS that although Catholic-Lutheran relations had improved in Germany, churches must work for "visible unity, not just reconciled diversity" off the back of the 500th anniversary.

"This means not only praying together, but meeting the challenge of speaking with one voice as Christians when we are all challenged by aggressive atheism and secularism, as well as by [radicalised] Islam. Otherwise we will lose more and more ground," he said.

What's going on?

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA

What's going on?

A couple of possibilities:

1)  The German bishops don't want to offend the sensibilities of the rest of the German population who still belong to the EDK.

or

2)  The German Catholic bishops gave up on being genuinely Catholic a long time ago.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic

Catholic bishops in Germany have praised Martin Luther as a "gospel witness and teacher of the faith" ahead of the 500-year anniversary of the Protestant reformation next year.

The bishops' conference published a 206-page report, "The Reformation in Ecumenical Perspective" last week, and called for close ties with Protestants as the country prepares to host the celebrations in 2017.

The report, published on Tuesday, said Luther's emphasis on the importance of the Bible should be recognised by Catholics.

But a spokesman for the Magdeburg diocese told the Catholic News Service (CNS) that the Reformation continues to cause tensions in Germany especially "in religiously separated families".

The ecumenical commission's deputy chair, Bishop Heinz Algermissen of Fulda told the CNS that although Catholic-Lutheran relations had improved in Germany, churches must work for "visible unity, not just reconciled diversity" off the back of the 500th anniversary.

"This means not only praying together, but meeting the challenge of speaking with one voice as Christians when we are all challenged by aggressive atheism and secularism, as well as by [radicalised] Islam. Otherwise we will lose more and more ground," he said.

What's going on?

MOD HAT ON:

Please provide source of your quotes as per forum rules.

Thank you!

Mina

Forum moderator
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Aren't all kind of Orthodox bishops planting trees in that Reformation garden of theirs?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Balthasar

• Elder

What's going on?

MOD HAT ON:

Please provide source of your quotes as per forum rules.

Thank you!

Mina

Forum moderator

Sorry, Mina! Here:

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/german.catholic.bishops.praise.teacher.of.the.faith.martin.luther.ahead.of.reformation.500th.anniversary/93270.htm

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Thank you  :)

Mina
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
I've been thinking about a witty comment for hours but this headline already sounds like an actual joke.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: ELCA
German Catholics, like the Pope, are fairly liberal.

In the 20th century there has been a lot of engagement by Catholic academics with Luther as a theologian.

The more I read Luther, the more I am convinced that he was basically correct early in his career on justification by faith without works, and you will find similar statements by other catholic doctors.   I also believe his distinction between Law and Gospel, also discovered early in the Refromation, is useful.  And his break with scholasticism was probably the right move.  But as the controversy went on, he became a fundamentalist by modern standards- it's noteworthy that he attacked Copernican science long before the Pope did.   Some of his statements about themes we would identify as solus Christus are reckless and would potentially damn a great many Christians throughout history as lacking true faith.  He's too critical and polemical in the end, and conservative Protestants have followed him for the most part in becoming polemical robots against all things they perceive as threats to their fragile faith (it's not surprising that sadly his last sermon was against the Jews of Germany).

I believe Brother Roger of Taize was onto something, the only way Protestants and Catholics can be reconciled is to honestly engage with each others traditions.  So maybe the bishops are onto something. 
"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."   - Martin Luther

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
Aren't all kind of Orthodox bishops planting trees in that Reformation garden of theirs?

I remember reading about this:

https://www.lutheranworld.org/news/lutheran-orthodox-commission-celebrate-reformation-anniversary

The international dialogue between Lutheran and the Orthodox churches in 2017 will include a celebration to mark 500 years of the Reformation.

Members of the Lutheran-Orthodox Joint Commission made this decision at the 16th Plenary session, held 28 April-5 May, in Rhodes, Greece. “It is an important ecumenical signal that the Lutherans and Orthodox will be celebrating the Reformation together,” said Rev. Dr Kaisamari Hintikka, LWF Assistant General Secretary for Ecumenical Relations.

… (continued at above link)
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)