Author Topic: Question on the Arabic language version of the Dormition Apolytikion  (Read 486 times)

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Today is Dormition (Happy Feast, everyone on the New Calendar).  The apolytikion in Greek uses the word λυτρουμενη  which is a participle translated as "Delivering" or "rescuing."  HOwever, in the English version used at our parish, the participle is made into an imperative, "deliver."  Our parish is Antiochian and I'm just wondering how the Arabic version goes and wander if the imperative version is found in the Arabic. 
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: Question on the Arabic language version of the Dormition Apolytikion
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »
Today is Dormition (Happy Feast, everyone on the New Calendar).  The apolytikion in Greek uses the word λυτρουμενη  which is a participle translated as "Delivering" or "rescuing."  HOwever, in the English version used at our parish, the participle is made into an imperative, "deliver."  Our parish is Antiochian and I'm just wondering how the Arabic version goes and wander if the imperative version is found in the Arabic.
It is: "أنقذي ", which usually is "redeem."
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 04:14:52 PM »

So it is an imperative verb then?
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 06:15:35 AM »

So it is an imperative verb then?

Yeah, imperative for feminine.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)