OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:32:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Issues prevent full communion between EO and OO?  (Read 1606 times) Average Rating: 0
Kosmas

« on: August 28, 2005, 12:28:38 PM »

I was wondering as a relatively new member; what are the main issues preventing us from being united together as One Holy Catholic Orthodox and Apostolic Church? I know that in past history, as always, there have been mis-understandings rather than real faith issues. So what is needed to fix this separation?

«Ουδείς εκών κακός» Σωκράτης
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 07:00:18 PM »

You might want to read the rather lengthy thread in the Faith Issues section, entitled "Will the EO and OO reunite."

If you want to get a succinct statement of the actual issues that need to be resolved, maybe someone with more patience can do that.  It exhausts me to even think about it.  Quite frankly, I personally believe that what is keeping us from having full official communion is a lot of pride and bigotry on the part of some people.  Unofficially, some churches have already opened up communion to the people on the other side.  For example, I don't know of an Armenian priest who wouldn't give communion to a Greek.  Also, there is a  Greek church about an hour away from my own which communes Armenians.

A good book for examining the issues dividing the two churches is The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined, by V.C. Samuel.  You can find it on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1401016448/qid=1125269612/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-8465255-1147816?v=glance&s=books

Kosmas

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 04:27:14 AM »

Interesting that you should mention Armenia. My Greek Pontian Grandfather's ID card says he came from Armenia some place called Sevastia. He migrated to Greece during the great "swap over" (more like gencide or ethnic cleansing) of the Greeks and Armenians.

I was listening to some Armenian music yesterday. It's so nice and calming.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 04:28:47 AM by Kosmas » Logged

djrak

"Do not put out the Spirit's fire" - 1 Thess 5:19

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 05:46:43 AM »

THE HISTORY OF SEBASTIA

http://users.freenet.am/~sivas/abridgment.htm

"Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" - John 14:9
Kosmas

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 01:05:40 PM »

Thank you very much for that link. I now know a little more about the place my Grandfather was born in. Smiley

djrak

"Do not put out the Spirit's fire" - 1 Thess 5:19

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 02:57:11 AM »

you're welcome  Wink

"Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" - John 14:9
Tags: unity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: