Author Topic: What parts of Daniel do Orthodox Jews accept?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
  • Faith: Christian
What parts of Daniel do Orthodox Jews accept?
« on: August 05, 2016, 05:51:46 PM »
I have had many positive interactions with (*members of) the Jewish community, including discussion of Alva J. McClain's "Daniel's Prophecy of the 70 Weeks" (available on Amazon.com), however I am reluctant to pursue this particular question. Does anyone happen to know?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:54:02 PM by mcarmichael »
sent from my iPhone.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: What parts of Daniel do Orthodox Jews accept?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 06:22:13 PM »
Orthodox Jews accept the Hebrew and Aramaic parts of this book, which is the exact canon Protestants chose to follow. That is, excluding the Greek parts we Orthodox Christians, and also Roman Catholics, accept.

No idea about the book you're mentioning, but you'd benefit more from Orthodox sources. I highly recommend Fr. Tadros Malaty's commentary to the Book of the Holy Prophet Daniel. I never checked this particular one, but I enjoyed greatly reading his commentary to Genesis and shuffling through other of his works.

http://www.orthodoxebooks.org/node/150
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 06:42:59 PM »

No idea about the book you're mentioning, but you'd benefit more from Orthodox sources. I highly recommend Fr. Tadros Malaty's commentary to the Book of the Holy Prophet Daniel. I never checked this particular one, but I enjoyed greatly reading his commentary to Genesis and shuffling through other of his works.

I would not hesitate to recommend the first part of Dr. Alva J. McClain's book to anyone interested in the topic.

*It's a three-part book. My "recommend" applies only to Part I, which is nearly flawless, imho.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 06:44:19 PM by mcarmichael »
sent from my iPhone.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 06:44:12 PM »

I would not hesitate to recommend the first part of Dr. Alva J. McClain's book to anyone interested in the topic.
Oh, I see, I thought you were asking opinions on this particular book.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 06:50:04 PM »

Do you know is there an English translation of their "canon" available online?
sent from my iPhone.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 07:02:34 PM »

Any Protestant version of the Old Testament would work.  :laugh: But there are specifically Jewish translations of the Bible, I don't know any of them well but you can surely find at least one online.

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 07:20:27 PM »

Any Protestant version of the Old Testament would work.  :laugh: But there are specifically Jewish translations of the Bible, I don't know any of them well but you can surely find at least one online.

True story?

*Why isn't there a Greek translation? Every Protestant version that I own includes that certain passages are translated from Aramaen.

** Or is that the Septuagint?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:26:58 PM by mcarmichael »
sent from my iPhone.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 07:22:13 PM »
Yes. The Protestant and Jewish canons are composed of the same texts, although Protestants organise them differently.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:25:37 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 07:23:49 PM »
If they don't use the septuagint, then...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:24:40 PM by mcarmichael »
sent from my iPhone.

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 07:25:49 PM »
Easy does it.
sent from my iPhone.

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 07:36:30 PM »
Yes. The Protestant and Jewish canons are composed of the same texts, although Protestants organise them differently.

Dr. Alva J. Mclain is correct, then. Wait, let me find you a free copy of the Introduction....

Aha! http://rediscoveringthebible.com/McClainSeventyWeeks.pdf
sent from my iPhone.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 08:28:33 PM »

The Orthodox Jewish Bible appears to be the next best thing to not translating the Old Testament at all. :laugh: I have no idea how they came up with their New Testament version...
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 08:33:25 PM »

The Orthodox Jewish Bible appears to be the next best thing to not translating the Old Testament at all. :laugh: I have no idea how they came up with their New Testament version...

Those are the same footnotes I have. Does it differ from the Septuagint (*regarding the key passages?)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:38:19 PM by mcarmichael »
sent from my iPhone.