OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:52:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: problem with a rastafarian?  (Read 6216 times) Average Rating: 0
liljahjahchild

« on: August 27, 2005, 11:52:50 PM »

hey everyone, just to let all of you know i am a rastafarian and i know that me being here might offend some but there is a real good reason, see the type of rasta that i am sees the ethiopian orthodox faith of all true.... we also see Haile Selassie I(ras Tafari) as the trintiy as one in the flesh. a big misunderstanding is that we do NOT see him as a 2nd christ. we see a "christ" as the son part of the trinity, or the "Tree-Natty" as some rastas say. and we see Haile Selassie I as all 3 parts. my sec. of rasta is still waiting 4 the 2nd christ like all of you.

i dont come to preach tho i just come to ask if any1 has a problem with me being here and i will respectfully leave... just let me kno

Bless
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 12:11:27 AM »

Dear liljahjahchild,

Do you realize that the Ethiopian Orthodox Church anathematizes those who believe HIM Haile Selassie as the Trinity or Christ?  Haille Selassie himself denied to be God.  He is a normal human being as anyone else, and a very good Orthodox Christian, who had great relationships with the Coptic Pope St. Kyrillos the sixth, and with the Indian Orthodox Church.

Another thing that I respectfully disagree is the use of herbs, like marijuana, as sacraments.  The Orthodox Church has never endorsed such a thing, unless it be medicinally.  But to say that God gave us all the herbs to use, we run the risk of crossing the line into poisonous berries.  Not all herbs are good for you.

God bless you.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 12:28:09 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 12:33:02 AM »

I doubt anyone will ask you to leave on the mere basis of your being a rastafarian, but you have to realise that your "religion" can hardly be considered Christian, let alone Orthodox. You say that you "see the ethiopian orthodox faith of all true"...I'm sorry lilJJchild, but the true Ethiopian Orthodox Church - that which is part of the Oriental Orthodox Communion - does not ascribe to the blasphemies that your sect ascribes to. The Holy Trinity did NOT become flesh through ANYONE, let alone Haile Selassie. You are either with and for the Truth of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (Orthodoxy) or you are with and for the lies and falsehood of rastafarianism (heresy), but you cannot have your cake and eat it.

I hope and pray that you find the truth of Orthodoxy through this website...

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 12:43:38 AM »

I am not the best of "google" searchers, but I did come across this link: http://sellassie.ourfamily.com/academics/orthodoxy.html

Which presents an interview between Venerable Getahun Atlaw, Archdeacon of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church of Jerusalem, Israel, and Charles Bryant-Abraham, PhD:

To quote from this interview:

Dr. Bryant-Abraham: The Rastafarians consider themselves a branch of Ethiopian culture and quite literally idolized the late Emperor Haile Selassie I. How does the Ethiopian Church view their philosophy and way of life?

Archdeacon Atlaw: Among many of our young people, as throughout all African pop culture, their music is much appreciated. But they are in no way to be considered a branch of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and Emperor Haile Selassie strongly discountenanced their excessive adoration of him … should I say quasi-deification?

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
S_N_Bulgakov

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 03:24:42 AM »

Liljahjahchild,

It may also be significant to realize that HIM Haile Selassie sent Abune Yesehaq to Jamdown to tell the Rasta' the truth, that he, HIM< was but a man, and Jesus Christ the One True God. He told Abune to bring the Rastafarians into the Church by means of baptism at which it was demanded that the belief in HIM's Divinity be denounced as a heresy.

There is no earthly manifestation of the Holy Trinity. The Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Church teaches there are 5 Mysteries of the Faith.

There is no connection between HIM and the Trinity other than HIM honoring and worshipping the Trinity by taking the name Haile Selassie (Power of the Trinity) all Ethiopian Orthodox Christians have such symbolic names, expressing their deep and ancient Christian faith.

S_N_B

For scripture says, God is seated where He is known  (Pr 11 :16) ; and thus the pure nous is said to be a throne of God.

[Evagrios the Solitary, Peri Logismoi 41
liljahjahchild

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 01:56:41 PM »

i dissagree with the herb to, it give you cancer Smiley

and trust me i know what selassie said, if jesus said he wasnt the christ would you believe it or would you think it was a test of faith? and selassie also say "be still and know that i am he"

and acording to history selassie move the ark back to the mary of zion chuch? read the bible man, who only can move the ark? angels or.....god

and im not sayin my religion is in any way christanity. my religion is to chritanity as chritanity is to jewdaism(sp?)

it has the same roots

and i should have said we believe in the etho. orx. faith up to the time of haile selassie I, just like i believe in jewdaism up to the time of christ.

and like i said i dont come to talk about my faith i just posted to see if it would be ok if i read yours, i was trying to be respictfull. and i wont try to prove yall rong ever so pleace dont try to prove me rong.

and im not sho if yall know this but meany etho orx. churches accept rasta now its not like it was 30 years ago, in fact im geting baptized next summer in negril jamaica but a priest and he knows how i feal about haile and he does aggree with the rasta way of life, there alot more to it then smokein weed....

aghen im not trying to prove any of you rong in any way, so please dont try to prove me rong.

respect.

bless.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 04:09:20 PM »

and im not sho if yall know this but meany etho orx. churches accept rasta now its not like it was 30 years ago, in fact im geting baptized next summer in negril jamaica but a priest and he knows how i feal about haile and he does aggree with the rasta way of life, there alot more to it then smokein weed....

Who is the patriarch of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church you know?ÂÂ  If this is our sister church, then we have a problem, so much so that they do not deserve the name "Orthodox."

We don't mean to be disrespectful either.ÂÂ  We want to set the record straight on the differences.ÂÂ  Sadly, those who worship HIM Haille Sallasie are not of the Church, and thus anathematized by the Church.ÂÂ  The Jews are also not of the Church, for they do not believe Jesus to be the Christ, a numero uno heresy if you ask me.

If Jesus did say He was not Christ, and then said that He was Christ, I would dismiss this "Jesus" as a schizophrenic who contradicts Himself.ÂÂ  God never lies.ÂÂ  The Jesus I know never walked away when He was worshipped, never stopped forgiving sins, did not think it robbery to be equal with God, and never ever said no to anyone who asked Him if He was the Son of the Living God.ÂÂ  A test of faith doesn't mean you go someone and say "I'm not your father" and then tell him the day after "I am really him."ÂÂ  I cannot imagine a god who can lie to his people and teach us not to be liers and hypocrites.

Forgive if that came out harsh.ÂÂ  I do not intend to be harsh.ÂÂ  But to say God lies as some sort of "testing faith" brings great insult to the Holy Trinity.

We are all "Rastafaris" if we uphold the true faith of the Trinity.ÂÂ  That does not make us the Trinity Himself.ÂÂ  HIM Selassie was nothing more than a human being.ÂÂ  If he truly said he was Christ, then sending Abune Yesehaq to teach them the Truth and take them away from the Rastafari heresy seems to be a contradiction.ÂÂ  It's like saying Christ sent Mohammed to teach us Christ wasn't a god, an absurdity I'm sure you will disagree with.

May I ask you to provide the context which HIM said that quote?ÂÂ  And can you elaborate more on the Ark?

Thank you.

God bless you.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 04:28:50 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
liljahjahchild

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 08:35:01 PM »

like i said. i dont come to preach or even post beside asking if it is ok if i am here.

oh yea and for my last post ill post something haile selassie I said

"be still and know that i am he"
liljahjahchild

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 08:37:53 PM »

sorry if i caused any disrespect.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 09:48:20 PM »

IC XC NIKA
Liljahjahchild,
The Lord give you His peace.

1) Do you have dreds?

2)What does "Rastafari" literally mean?

3)Where can I get Jr. Gong's new cd (is it being release in the States)?  I saw his new video on BET; man he has some crazy locks lol. 

in XC,
shawn
minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 10:46:34 PM »

Dear liljahjahchild,

I simply want to have a discussion without any disrespect, and no one is kicking you out.ÂÂ  You are free to post and ask questions and discuss with us whatever issues you want to discuss.ÂÂ  

I asked two questions:

May I ask you to provide the context which HIM said that quote?ÂÂ  And can you elaborate more on the Ark?

I was hoping if you could answer these questions for me so that I can be better able to respond to you.

Dear Shawn,

In my understanding, the word "Rastafari" means "power of the Trinity."  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

God bless.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 10:49:14 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 11:37:20 PM »

Besime Ab, weWeld, weMenfes Q'dus--ahadu Amlak, Amen...

Greetings liljahjahchild,

Let us reason together in peace and love.  It is not about proving a person right or wrong, but rather letting what is true speak for itself and separate itself from falsehood.  The truth may be an offense, but it is not a sin.  Let us now reason together as brothers.  I have some questions for you concerning your trod, and also some things which perhaps you should consider.

1.) There is no record of His Imperial Majesty saying "be still and know that I am he".  This was a false report given by some of the Rasta elders who met with him in 1966.  The exact quote they attributed to him was "Holy priests, warriors and traitors, be still and know that I am he."

His Majesty would never claim to be divine as he was a devout Christian and a God fearing man.  Furthermore, His Imperial Majesty publicly admonished the Rastas not to worship him saying that he was a mortal man and would be replaced by the coming generations.  He commissioned priests to go and labor among the Western born to teach them the truth of Christian Orthodoxy.  This is all a matter of public record, and in fact I have a copy of a radio broadcast in which His Majesty denounces the idea that he is God.  If anyone would like to provide space, I will put it up on the web for all to hear.

Our Lord Jesus Christ would not deny being the Messiah as a "test of faith" for that would make Him a liar and a hypocrite.  His Majesty was likewise neither of these things, and would not contradict himself on this issue by claiming to be "He" at one point and denying it at another.

2.) On moving the Ark - The Ark of the Covenant is kept at St. Mary's in Axum.  Only one monk touches it.  Before he dies, he chooses a successor.  No one else can touch the Ark or they will drop dead.  His Majesty NEVER laid his hands on the Ark.  You can ask any Ethiopian monk.  Supposing, however, merely for the sake of argument, that he did, this would not prove a thing, as humans have moved the Ark before, including the Israelites, and Menelik who brought the Ark to Ethiopia in the first place, one of His Majesty's ancestors.

3.) Concerning your baptism - A real priest of the canonical Ethiopian Orthodox Church would not baptize a person who he knows believes that His Majesty was the entire Holy Trinity incarnate.  Who is this priest?  Who is his bishop?  Are they in full Communion with His Holiness Abune Paulos, the Holy Synod, and the entire Ethiopian Orthodox Church?

If you want to deal with the AUTHENTIC Ethiopian Orthodox Church in Jamaica, please contact Kes Amaha Selassie and Kes Wolder Dawit.  They are under Abune Gabriel, the canonical Ethiopian Orthodox bishop for the Caribbean, and are the ONLY Ethiopian Orthodox priests representing the canonical Ethiopian Orthodox Church in Jamaica.  Period.  If you prefer someone who does not represent the true Ethiopian Orthodox Church, the Church in which His Majesty was Baptized and Chrismated, someone who will just tell you want you want to hear, that it is okay to "sight His Majesty as Jah" that is up to you.

Also, remember that there are many organizations out there that use the name "Ethiopian Orthodox" and "Coptic Orthodox" that have no connection whatsoever to the authentic Ethiopian or Coptic Orthodox Churches. (Like the "Zen Zion Coptic Orthodox Church").

I have another question for you as well brother, if Rastafari has fulfilled Christianity as Christianity has fulfilled Old Testament Judaism, why are you in need of a Christian Baptism?  As a Christian, I am not in need of a circumcision to be a part of the body of Christ.  What would a Christian Baptism represent to you?

Please pray and consider this.  If a public discourse is troublesome for you, please feel free to send me a private message.

May God bless you abundantly.

Your brother,

Nick

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
liljahjahchild

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 08:30:46 PM »

IC XC NIKA
Liljahjahchild,
The Lord give you His peace.

1) Do you have dreds?

2)What does "Rastafari" literally mean?

3)Where can I get Jr. Gong's new cd (is it being release in the States)?ÂÂ  I saw his new video on BET; man he has some crazy locks lol.ÂÂ  

in XC,
shawn

my dreads are growing, yea, they not locked up yet cuz most rasta do it the naural way and that takes time

and Rastafari in haile selassies name b4 his corrantion, Ras(prince) Tafari

and i wish it was here but nope you gatta go to jamaica to get that man.... the cd halfway tree is great tho but the new 1 coming soon
liljahjahchild

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 08:36:00 PM »

Dear liljahjahchild,

I simply want to have a discussion without any disrespect, and no one is kicking you out.ÂÂ  You are free to post and ask questions and discuss with us whatever issues you want to discuss.ÂÂ  

I asked two questions:

I was hoping if you could answer these questions for me so that I can be better able to respond to you.

Dear Shawn,

In my understanding, the word "Rastafari" means "power of the Trinity."ÂÂ  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

God bless.

of sorry about that i was inna rush. but have you ever heard of the kerba nagast? its kinda like a etho. history book. it isnt a rasta book cuz it has no metion of rasta but the rasta do use it, its a great book, i love it. it explains how bayna-lehkem (1st son of solomon) was krowned king of ethiopia and how it was gods will for the ark to go there... great story b4 bed lol...

and no, Haile Selassie I means power of the trintiy. Ras means prince cuz he was a prince lol and tafari is his birth name.
liljahjahchild

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 08:51:38 PM »

Antonious Nikolas i have a question 4 you. think of all the things every 1 ever told you about christ... do you think that any of it was a lie? any at all? probley not.... and y is that?? because you have faith... and i have faith... jews have faith. even people that believe in nothing have faith... they have faith that there is nothing....

i would like to know if you would be willing to accept that maybe the smallest thing, the lilest detal,could maybe be rong? maybe it was a monk that changed it a long time ago when the 1st copys of the bible were being made? do you think that if you were told a lie your hole life do you think you would believe it or not?

what im trying to say is that we as people need 2 believe in something... so thats what we do we believe, do you think that farr off parts of the world that have no way of knowing the bible, do you think they will go to hell because they had no way of knowing?

any i want to be baptized because i accept the old ways as well as the knew, look at the rastas head.... samson...

anyways i dont even know what i was going to say now so yea....

anyways i dont really come to talk about haile selassie I but my real mission of coming here is to learn and to help yall understand that rasta isnt about the black race or smoking weed......

of yea... and do you have any prouf that say he didnt say that?
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 10:09:18 AM »

Give thanks for the reasoning liljahjahchild

Antonious Nikolas i have a question 4 you. think of all the things every 1 ever told you about christ... do you think that any of it was a lie? any at all? probley not.... and y is that?? because you have faith... and i have faith... jews have faith. even people that believe in nothing have faith... they have faith that there is nothing....

So are you saying that all confessions are equally true, and so long as we have faith in something it is sufficient, whether that faith is misguided or not?

i would like to know if you would be willing to accept that maybe the smallest thing, the lilest detal,could maybe be rong? maybe it was a monk that changed it a long time ago when the 1st copys of the bible were being made? do you think that if you were told a lie your hole life do you think you would believe it or not?

This is markedly different than some mysterious monk changing a jot or a tittle over the course of history.ÂÂ  This is the man himself telling you not to worship him.ÂÂ  You believe that he is God (the Trinity) in the flesh, so why would you disobey his words?ÂÂ  If he is God, why would he himself say emphatically that he is not, and moreover send people to teach the Rastas that he is not?ÂÂ  This would be like the Lord Jesus sending the Apostles into the world to tell everyone NOT to worship Him.

what im trying to say is that we as people need 2 believe in something... so thats what we do we believe, do you think that farr off parts of the world that have no way of knowing the bible, do you think they will go to hell because they had no way of knowing?

Whether people in far off parts of the world who do not know the Bible stand or fall before their Creator is not for me to say.ÂÂ  I don't have a heaven or a hell to put them in.ÂÂ  They have a merciful Creator who loves them and will judge them.ÂÂ  It is, however, my duty in accordance with the great commission to preach to such people wherever I may find them.

any i want to be baptized because i accept the old ways as well as the knew

You have to understand what the Holy Mystery of Baptism in the Orthodox Church means before you accept it.ÂÂ  Accepting Baptism in the authentic Orthodox Church means accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as God and your Saviour, and Haile Selassie as a mere man.

Again, who is this priest?ÂÂ  I know who the Ethiopian Orthodox clergy are in Jamaica.ÂÂ  If he is willing to baptize you knowing that you believe Haile Selassie is God I am sure that he is not one of the two canonical priests in JA.ÂÂ  The reason I bring this up is not only because I want you to think about what your baptism means, but also because you told the posters here: "and im not sho if yall know this but meany etho orx. churches accept rasta now its not like it was 30 years ago, in fact im geting baptized next summer in negril jamaica"

I'm not sure if you realize brother, but this is a lie upon the true canonical Ethiopian Orthodox Church.ÂÂ  Yes, the Church accepts Rasta candidates for Baptism once they have renounced their former belief, but let us be crystal clear and not ambiguous, the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church in no way accepts the Rasta belief system.

look at the rastas head.... samson...

I have been around Rastafari for decades brother, and trust me, other than wearing locks and certain aspects of ital I have seen very little of the Nazarene vow among the brethren, especially as it concerns celibacy.

of yea... and do you have any prouf that say he didnt say that?

The proof is that His Majesty is not a liar or a hypocrite.ÂÂ  He would not declare publicly on many occassions that he was not God, and that the idea of people troubled him to the point of tears, so much so that he sent priests to tell the people not to do it, and then contradict himself with ambiguity.ÂÂ  The proof is also that He received Holy Communion in the Church.ÂÂ  If he is the Trinity, that means he is also the second person of the Trinity, the Word who took flesh.ÂÂ  Does he eat his own flesh and drink his own blood for salvation?ÂÂ  To what purpose?

I notice also that you have no response for the points I brought to the fore earlier, brother.ÂÂ  Please think and most of all PRAY on them.ÂÂ  And if you do indeed live in JA get in touch with Abune Gabriel, Kes Wolde Dawit, and Kes Amaha Selassie.ÂÂ  If you are in Negril, I know it is a hike, but it would be a blessing for you to visit the Church on Molynes Road.

As to Junior Gong CD, you don't have to be in JA to get that.ÂÂ  You can get a copy in Bed-Stuy Brooklyn or Newark, NJ.ÂÂ  Smiley

Love Still
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 10:11:56 AM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 11:15:06 AM »

Dear liljahjahchild,

of sorry about that i was inna rush. but have you ever heard of the kerba nagast? its kinda like a etho. history book. it isnt a rasta book cuz it has no metion of rasta but the rasta do use it, its a great book, i love it. it explains how bayna-lehkem (1st son of solomon) was krowned king of ethiopia and how it was gods will for the ark to go there... great story b4 bed lol...

Where can I get this book?  Smiley

and no, Haile Selassie I means power of the trintiy. Ras means prince cuz he was a prince lol and tafari is his birth name.

Thanks for the correction.  I seem to have confused the two.

I remember reading now that Bob Marley when converting into Ethiopian Orthodoxy (although skeptical of his personal beliefs) was renamed into Berhanne Selassie, which meant "light of the Trinity."

God bless.

Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 06:39:34 PM »

Hi Mina,

Where can I get this book?ÂÂ  Smiley

Kebra Negast:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/kn/index.htm

Thanks for the correction.ÂÂ  I seem to have confused the two.

The title "Ras" (which literally means "head") is closer to duke than prince.ÂÂ  Before His Majesty was annointed Emperor Haile Selassie I by the saint His Holiness Pope Kyrillos VI, his name was Tafari Makonnen, and his title was Ras.

I remember reading now that Bob Marley when converting into Ethiopian Orthodoxy (although skeptical of his personal beliefs) was renamed into Berhanne Selassie, which meant "light of the Trinity."

Yes, Bob Marley wanted to convert to Ethiopian Orthodoxy Christianity earlier in his life, but was fearful of the repercussions for himself and his family.ÂÂ  When he was dying he renounced the belief that the Emperor was God and became a Christian.ÂÂ  This is the report of the Bishop who baptized him and conducted his funeral, Abune Yesehaq.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 07:18:13 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

liljahjahchild

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »

sorry this only ansers some of the questions cuz my mama gunna shut off the comp 4 a lil. but about marley... his last words was jah ras tafari

and he also had a nyahbinghi style frunal and the man who baptized him spoke along side rasta elders of all 3 rasta sects.

bob marley is a rasta till he died, ask rita next time you go to bull bay or west africa... she would be happy 2 tell you or ask his mother why he got into the church.... she will tell you" cuz it pleased me" or even ask any of the old or new waliers bob marley was no christan unless christan says that Jah Ras Tafari is the almightly and god in the flesh.. witch bob marley said in just about every intervew... yall should read no women no cry... its by his wife.... it will clear alot of that bable up....

be back lata yall

bless
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2005, 10:19:07 PM »

He was baptised as an Oriental Orthodox! He was Christian indeed!

Qui cantat, bis orat
minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2005, 10:56:25 PM »

I've read "No woman No Cry"...sadly, I don't intend to judge, but the feeling I get from this book is that the Marleys although baptized never gave up their Rasta faith.

Something is wrong with the Ethiopian missionaries, and they need to be more vociferous in their preaching, either that or "baptized Rastas" have deceived missionaries, which is pretty sad.

God bless.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 11:52:17 PM by minasoliman » Logged

minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2005, 11:57:33 PM »

Dear liljahjahchild,

I have to ask a question.  You say that Rastas believe Haile Selassie to be the Trinity embodied.  However, Rita Marley in her autobiography said that she saw "holes" in his hands, affirming her belief that he is Christ who came again.

Isn't that contradictory?

And I have a picture of HIM, and I don't see holes like she did.

And it also help if you read HIM statements in the 1965 Council of Addis Ababa.  He speaks as if he is one with the Oriental Orthodox Church, upholding the faith of the Holy Fathers.  He has never mentioned himself as God, but quite the opposite. 

http://www.ethiopianorthodox.org/oriental/aaconf/Theorientalchurchmeetings.htm

He writes:
The Unity of the Church, as your Holinesses well know, is the will of God and ought to be inspiring example to all men.

If he was the Trinity, he would say "my will."  However, he said the will of God, seperating himself from the Trinity.

There is no doubt that work done through a cooperative spirit shell meet with success. Christ affirmed:

He did not say "I affirmed" or "My Son affirmed" but "Christ affirmed," showing us that he himself is not Jah.

For centuries past our Orthodox Church...

Christ relation to the Church is a bridegroom.  She is solely HIS Church.  However, the emperor says "our...Church."  She is our mother who gave birth to many of our Orthodox fathers who taught and defended the true faith of Orthodoxy.  This Church exists today which includes the Church I am part of, and my own brother in Christ, Haile Selassie, may he rest in peace.

Holy Fathers, as the spiritual descendants of the Apostles of Christ, you have an eminent responsibility, which responsibility would include the improvement of the relations of laity with clergy and of church with society.

We hope and trust that God will guide the discussion here according to His will and that His power will assist Your Holinesses in finding common solutions to common problems in the spirit of amity and concord. May God who helped the 318 Fathers of the Council of Nicea enlighten and help us all.

I encourage you to read some of the many saints HIM Haile Selassie himself loved, including those of the 318 assembled at the Council of Nicea, who defended the Orthodox faith against heretics, and have written that the second coming of Christ be a day of judgment, a day of fear, but also a day of hope. 

The embodiment of the Trinity or the reembodiment of Christ, whatever it may be, in the emperor is not supported by the Holy Fathers that Haile Selassie loved and followed as shown in the tone of this statement.  Actually it contradicts the Nicene faith, for the Nicene fathers believed there is no need for the Trinity to be incarnate.  Only the Son, the Word, was incarnate for our salvation.  In his second coming, he will judge the world, which is considered the "end of the world."  He will come in glory and feared by all.  Haile Selassie never judged the world, and the world has not ended by his coming.  He is thus not Christ, as the Holy Fathers of Haile Selassie believed.

God bless you.

PS  It is not my intention to be harsh.  I only want to respectfully show how Haile Selassie believed in the Holy Fathers and did not affirm himself to be God, but quite the contrary, affirmed God seperate from himself, proving to us that he is not God, but a good Christian, a true Christian who upholds the power of the Trinity like any other good Christian.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 12:32:03 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2005, 09:43:46 AM »

sorry this only ansers some of the questions cuz my mama gunna shut off the comp 4 a lil. but about marley... his last words was jah ras tafari

and he also had a nyahbinghi style frunal and the man who baptized him spoke along side rasta elders of all 3 rasta sects.

bob marley is a rasta till he died, ask rita next time you go to bull bay or west africa... she would be happy 2 tell you or ask his mother why he got into the church.... she will tell you" cuz it pleased me" or even ask any of the old or new waliers bob marley was no christan unless christan says that Jah Ras Tafari is the almightly and god in the flesh.. witch bob marley said in just about every intervew... yall should read no women no cry... its by his wife.... it will clear alot of that bable up....

be back lata yall

bless

I can't wait for you to come back later and answer all of the questions put to you, brother.  Don't dodge them please, and just post what you like.

It appears that you have some misinformation about Bob's funeral.  He did not have a Nyabinghi funeral at all.   He was given a full Ethiopian Orthodox funeral, in which other religious groups (including Rasta) are not allowed to participate (though Rasta Twelve Tribesman Skill Cole tried), which is reserved exclusively to the Church's members.  You can see video footage of Bob Marley's funeral on almost any biographical video.  it is clearly Ethiopian Orthodox, not Nyabinghi.  I have spoken to the Ethiopian Orthodox clergyman who performed this funeral (Abune Yesehaq) and he has confirmed this as well.

Bob Marley was baptized into the Ethiopian Orthodox Church near the end of his life. His baptismal name is Berhane Selassie, "Light of the Trinity."

You can read an interview with Abune Yesehaq, who baptized and buried Bob Marley, here:

http://www.geocities.com/jonahaugustin/abunayesehaqint.html

From the article:

Bob was under the spiritual guidance of the Archbishop but was baptized just a year before his death, after three aborted attempts to convert in Kingston.  He backed out each time, says the Archbishop, after being threatened by other Rastas.  Marley was finally baptized in the Ethiopian Church in New York where less resentments were less inflamed. The Archbishop christened him Berhane Selassie, "light of the Trinity".

Not many knew then of Bob's conversion, but just about everyone found out when the by-then invested Abuna Yesehaq, Archbishop of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church in the Western Hemisphere (he was installed in 1979), presided over his state funeral, in 1981. Bob's family was successful in felling the customary line-up of profiteering Babylon clergy, insuring that the only rites said for Bob would be those of his officially adopted religion.

Tommy Cowan (of the group "The Jamaicans") also verifies this.  He knew Bob very well because he managed Marley’s business for years while touring with him to Africa, Europe and the U.S. Tommy was probably closer to Bob Marley than most people who knew him were.

As he lay back on his chair resting on the wall of his hotel room at Divi Little Bay, Tommy colorfully described the rarely spoken of experience of Bob Marley, about a year before he died. “Bob Marley himself, before he died, he got baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ,” Tommy says with much conviction. “What does Selassie teaches, that Jesus Christ is the only way…He (Bob) through whole treading of Rasta found that Jesus Christ is the way. As a matter of fact, in one song you would have heard him militantly (saying) ‘how they crucified my Jesus Christ and they sold Marcus Garvey for rice…’ One of his songs said, “Give us the teachings if his majesty because we don’t want the devil’s philosophy.” Bob, Tommy recalls, called the bishop of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and told him I need to be baptized now. Just recently Tommy was speaking with the said bishop who described Bob’s baptism. “At one point he (Bob) cried for 45 minutes non-stop; his tears wet the floor. And the Holy Spirit came down upon his body and he cried out Jesus Christ three times—Jesus my Savior, Jesus Christ.”

As for Rita, she is in and out of the Church as it pleases her.   She attended His Majesty's funeral in Ethiopia, and yet simultaneously swears that His Majesty is still alive on the earth and that the bones which were laid to rest that day were not his.  I have read No Woman No Cry and take everything therein with a grain of salt.  And yes, I realize that is not ital! Smiley

Please understand that if someone truly honors His Majesty they would heed his words.  When interviewed by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's Bill McNeil in 1967, Haile Selassie emphatically denied being God and in fact encouraged those who erroneously worshipped him to turn to Christ.  I have the interview on CD.  After the visit, the Emperor told Ethiopian Orthodox Archbishop Abune Yesehaq: "There is a problem in Jamaica… Please, help these people. They are misunderstanding, they do not understand our culture… They need a church to be established and you are chosen to go."

I love His Majesty very much.  He was a great Christian, and he followed the true Christ for good reason.

The Lord Jesus Christ vacated His tomb and visited over 500 eye-witnesses for 40 days afterward. Haile Selassie did not do any of this. With proper authoriztion to exhume him, you can go and see the bones of Haile Selassie in his crypt at Saint Mariam's of the Holy Trinity church in Addis Ababa.

Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save. When their spirit departs, they return to the ground; on that very day their plans come to nothing.(Psalm. 146:3-4)

Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2005, 01:04:38 PM »

Something is wrong with the Ethiopian missionaries, and they need to be more vociferous in their preaching, either that or "baptized Rastas" have deceived missionaries, which is pretty sad.

God bless.

This is true of some of the Ethiopian missionaries, one in particular.  I won't mention his name, as I don't want to speak ill of an Orthodox clergyman on the web.  He was careless, baptizing a great many people without any catechism or teaching at all, in a very short period of time.  This of course resulted in chaos.  The Ethiopian Church has since been working to repair the damage.  May God have mercy.

SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2005, 03:14:46 PM »

IMHO, this has been one of the most interesting disucssions I've read here.

Just astonishing!!   I can't help myself but I keep humming "Buffallo Soldier" as I'm reading through these posts.  I've never known the connection between Rasta's and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.

As a youngster I had a short period in my life when all I really listened to was Reggae and heard the name Haile Selassie (in many songs), but never cared enough to find out who he was.  Now this!  Amazing.

Thank you all for the education (especially Antonious Nikolas).

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2005, 03:22:42 PM »

Just read this...

Selassie did not personally believe the divine claims made of him by the Rastafarians. When interviewed by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's Bill McNeil in 1967, Selassie denied that a man could be an emanation from God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haile_Selassie_I_of_Ethiopia

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2005, 03:51:28 PM »

Thanks SouthSerb!ÂÂ  Smiley

*Hums along with SouthSerb*

Woy yoy yoy, woy yoy-yoy yoy woy yoy yoy yoy, yoy yoy-yoy yoy!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 03:54:26 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2005, 05:18:34 PM »

I too find myself educated by this thread.
Thanks liljahjahchild for starting it. May the Trinity be with you in learning the wonderful truth of the Holy Orthodox faith.

Thanks to the others of you who brought so much info and a gracious spirit (in replying to lil) to this discussion
ethiopicartist
Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox

God bless you..may God have mercy on us sinners

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2006, 09:26:18 PM »

God[/font] is working,I can see the Lord is bringing him closer and closer to Himself,O Lord Jesus, bless him with the grace of faith,and keep on preaching and praying my brothers for that rastafrian

thanks be to God for saving Bob Marley from the pits of hell,I know for a fact he was baptized and die an orthodox Christian,R.I.P,
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 09:27:36 PM by ethiopicartist » Logged

Lord Jesus Christ,Son of God,by the Mother of God have mercy on us sinners:34  I give you a new commandment, that you  love  one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should  love  one anot
Tags: Rastafarian 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: