Author Topic: Afterlife  (Read 2010 times)

Offline benjohn146

• Elder
    • Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Belleville, Ontario, Canada
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Toronto
Re: Afterlife
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
Thank you so far to those who gave me their wise opinion and for the prayers. I felt better and more serene as the Divine Liturgy was unfolding.

Hopefully i will have a fruitful weekend at the monastery next week and maybe ,God's willing, return home with answers and a spiritual father.

Advice, opinions and thoughts are still welcome!
St Makarios, pray for us.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2016, 08:20:33 PM »
Glad to help.  ;D
"Physician, heal thyself." - Ancient Proverb
To my shame, I may have been very drunk when I wrote this.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2016, 01:31:31 AM »
I think proof of an "Afterlife" is altogether the wrong way to go about it, because a) who's word would you accept?

On the other hand I am of the opinion that man may someday discover proof of God - if he hasn't already. And what if we did discover evidence of God? Would we be cursed, for "testing" God?

So it's better to accept that some things are beyond our perception, perhaps. That we are like horses, somewhat.

Offline benjohn146

• Elder
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2016, 05:10:54 AM »
I think proof of an "Afterlife" is altogether the wrong way to go about it, because a) who's word would you accept?

On the other hand I am of the opinion that man may someday discover proof of God - if he hasn't already. And what if we did discover evidence of God? Would we be cursed, for "testing" God?

So it's better to accept that some things are beyond our perception, perhaps. That we are like horses, somewhat.

I am not looking at proof per se, indeed it is impossible to know for sure. I am looking for people's personal opinion on why they are convinced of an afterlife or what convinced them (i.e. books, testimony, vision, theophany, NDE etc...).

Online Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2016, 06:42:36 AM »
How about the countless intercessions, and stories of how people received help from the saints ?

Given the situation however, I feel that you are not looking for a proof that afterlife exist, but rather a confirmation that it doesn't or at least a hint that it can't be prooved.

You are having a difficult time in your life with your family and the demons are using this opportunity to launch a massive attack on your faith, so they may destroy it.

As I said, your condition is serious, you need help from a priest, fast, pray, go to confession, hold nothing back, tell everything...

Offline benjohn146

• Elder
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2016, 08:36:08 AM »
How about the countless intercessions, and stories of how people received help from the saints ?

Given the situation however, I feel that you are not looking for a proof that afterlife exist, but rather a confirmation that it doesn't or at least a hint that it can't be prooved.

You are having a difficult time in your life with your family and the demons are using this opportunity to launch a massive attack on your faith, so they may destroy it.

As I said, your condition is serious, you need help from a priest, fast, pray, go to confession, hold nothing back, tell everything...

Probably, my soul and mind are stuck in the midst of that cloud of doubts and despair that I cant discern the exact reasons why I am doubting afterlife.

Cant wait to go at the monastery this week end. Over there, I intend to do as you suggest.

Thank you.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2016, 10:28:57 AM »
That sounds great. :)

Offline Seekingtrue

• Elder
  • I no longer post on this forum
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2016, 03:37:48 PM »
Benjohn I can understand exactly how you feel I have been there.But according to St.Joseph Hesychast the first level in spiritual life is'praxis'and the second is 'theoria'.Theoria is when God reveals Himself to you,it's Theology but from above,not theology from books or humans.Everyone wants to know about the afterlife you are not the only one.Have we reached Theosis?No so until we do we are limited,even limited to answers like afterlife.I m Orthodox Christian a friend of mine that was a former Buddhist monk in Tibet has told me that even Buddist monks see aerial toll houses.That had comforted me a lot because after all it's not only a Eastern Orthodox teaching.Don t focus on death and afterlife and don't doubt God will give you the answers in time.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2018, 10:44:26 PM »
Does Ecclesiastes 9 seem to propose a theory of "soul sleep" after death, whereby the dead are unaware of anything?

The chapter says:

3. This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead.

4. For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.

5. For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

6. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

The 19th c. Russian theologian Lopukhin explains this passage to mean:
In Sheol, all are equal, are all the same negligible, so negligible that the life of the most insignificant person is more valuable than the the inhabiting in Sheol of a great man, since the dead know neither hope nor reward, nor love nor hatred, and, in general, don't have a part of anything that is done under the sun.
With the destruction of the body, the manifestations of life also stop, a state of deep sleep arrives, a state of half-life. With this view of the afterlife, of course, there could be no question of a difference in the fate of the righteous and sinners, of requital after the grave; asserting, in general, the existence of the judgment of God, the writer of Ecclesiastes nowhere distributes it to the afterlife. Moreover, he describes it (the afterlife) in features that exclude any thought of requital.

В шеоле же все равны, все равно ничтожны, ничтожны настолько, что жизнь самого незначительного человека ценнее пребывания в шеоле великого человека, так как умершие не знают ни надежды, ни воздаяния, ни любви, ни ненависти и, вообще, не имеют части ни в чем, что делается под солнцем.
С разрушением тела прекращаются и жизненные проявления, наступает состояние глубокого сна, состояние полужизни. При таком представлении о загробной жизни, разумеется, не могло быть речи о различии в судьбе праведников и грешников, о воздаянии за гробом; утверждая, вообще, существование суда Божия, Екклезиаст нигде не распространяет его на потустороннюю жизнь. Мало того, он описывает ее в чертах, исключающих всякую мысль о воздаянии.

https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/Lopuhin/tolkovaja_biblija_24/9#sel=20:74,20:81
How would you interpret this passage in Ecclesiastes with regard to the state of consciousness after death?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:44:52 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Online pasadi97

• High Elder
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2018, 01:20:51 PM »
Life after death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-XX0u4mnUg
If you are eastern orthodox Christian and good the thing above will happen to you and you will be with God forever and immortal.

Jesus made us superhumans by giving us immorality, us like in Eastern Orthodox Christians:
Read this: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,71911.0.html

First you go to page three with the post the history of the world then came back and read from beginning.

HERE BIBLE TELLS ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS THEY ARE IMMORTALS:
John 6:53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of jthe Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.
54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has ETERNAL LIFE, and I will raise him up on the last day.

Don't look to Old Testament as for an explanation of what happens with soul after death since Old Testament explains everything from the perspective of time when salvation AND IMMORTALITY was not available when people went to Sheol.

Now after salvation is available people go to Heaven if they are doing good and Eastern Orthodox are immortal.There are millions of testimonies of people taken to Heaven after death:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=near+death+heaven

GOOD IN THE EYES OF GOD is giving to God to eat, clothes, drinks, housing,health and visiting God in prison that is giving poor people to eat, clothes,drinks, health, housing, and visiting poor people to prison. You may need tow jobs to fulfill this in an OK mode, one for you and one for God. Don't promise to God that second job is his because you may get sick and need all the money. Don't promise and do it.

The above is definition of good in the eyes of God and the thing above is what saints do. Don't be fooled by other definitions of good because you may not make it to Heaven.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,73071.0.html

Here God tells you what he expects you to do if you want to make it to Heaven. There are other ways but this is a way:
From Bible
Matthew 25:31  “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he
will sit on his glorious throne.  32  All the nations will be gathered before him, and he
will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from
the goats.  33  He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34  “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my
Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of
the world.  35  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and
you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,  36  I needed
clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison
and you came to visit me.’
37  “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and
feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38  When did we see you a
stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  39  When did we see
you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40  “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of
these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41  “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into
the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.  42  For I was hungry and you
gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,  43  I was a
stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I
was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44  “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a
stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45  “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of
these, you did not do for me.’
46  “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:23:45 PM by pasadi97 »
God the Father is great. God the Father is good.

Online pasadi97

• High Elder
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »
The definition of good has to do with the law of the Universe:
What you do comes back to you.

That is if in this life you serve God by serving poor people with housing, clothes, food, drinks, health, visitaions in prison IT COMES BACK TO YOU IN AFTERLIFE and there you are served AFTER THIS LIFE YOU ARE SERVED with housing, clothes, food , drinks, health, visitations in prison.

If you serve poor people you make GOD happy and God will make you happy in afterlife.
God the Father is great. God the Father is good.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2018, 11:27:40 AM »
Visitations in prison in afterlife? Why would someone be arrested in the afterlife?!
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.