Author Topic: Is this "Orthodox", concerning the Theotokos?  (Read 8138 times)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Is this "Orthodox", concerning the Theotokos?
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2016, 11:07:18 PM »
There are lots of women. There is only one Theotokos.
Even that title is disputed, however. ie., not "embraced" by all. ie. non-Ephesians.

They aren't Orthodox, which was supposed to be the point of this thread according to its title. Don't move the goalposts.

If you had been paying attention, you'd have noted that this came from an ACOTE clergyman, sir.

I've scanned through this entire thread twice, and I'm not finding the reference. Not saying it's there, but please point it out to me.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2016, 11:16:55 PM »

I've scanned through this entire thread twice, and I'm not finding the reference. Not saying it's there, but please point it out to me.

"...The fact that the angel Gabriel called her 'Full of Grace' indicates that the Mother of our Lord enjoyed a singular favor separating her from all of the race of women--the grace of God which prepared and elected her to be the Mother of the Son of God incarnate. Thus, she did not commit any sin which one commits on a daily basis."

This quote is from an ACOTE clergyman, fyi.

I'm not sure that I follow the logic, fwiw.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:22:42 PM by mcarmichael »
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"
- The very memorable words of Samuel Veller

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Physician, heal thyself." - Ancient proverb

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2016, 11:27:13 PM »

"...The fact that the angel Gabriel called her 'Full of Grace' indicates that the Mother of our Lord enjoyed a singular favor separating her from all of the race of women--the grace of God which prepared and elected her to be the Mother of the Son of God incarnate. Thus, she did not commit any sin which one commits on a daily basis."

This quote is from an ACOTE clergyman, fyi.

10-4, thanks.

Provenance of the quote aside, it doesn't have any bearing on the ACOTE's use or non-use of "Theotokos."

So I guess harkening all the way back to the OP in August, nothing seems wrong with the somewhat broad quote from the ACOTE clergyman. Their rejection of the title "Theotokos," however, IS an issue.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
Since this thread is really about an ACOTE understanding rather than a Protestant one, I'm shipping it to the general Orthodox-Other Christian forum.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2016, 11:50:50 PM »

So I guess harkening all the way back to the OP in August, nothing seems wrong with the somewhat broad quote from the ACOTE clergyman. Their rejection of the title "Theotokos," however, IS an issue.

Unless you've been living in a cave since 1994, idk what's going on here.
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2016, 11:55:15 PM »
What is ACOTE?
God bless!

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2016, 12:03:12 AM »
What is ACOTE?

Assyrian Church of the East.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2016, 12:03:47 AM »

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2016, 12:04:23 AM »
What is ACOTE?

Assyrian Church of the East.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2016, 12:05:30 AM »

Unless you've been living in a cave since 1994, idk what's going on here.

I don't think many people reading your posts know what's going on.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2016, 12:27:40 AM »
Since this thread is really about an ACOTE understanding rather than a Protestant one, I'm shipping it to the general Orthodox-Other Christian forum.

I hope everyone will continue to participate.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2016, 01:24:30 AM »
I've removed a bunch of off-topic posts that had nothing to do with nothing. Carry on with on-topic conversation.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2016, 01:29:06 AM »

Considering that I'd just extended you grace with a private, non-punitive warning about general forum behavior only moments ago, and that we were communicating by PM as you posted this, consider yourself formally warned for publicly questioning moderation.

You also used profanity in the moderated forums. Fifteen points for you.

If you feel this is unfair, appeal through the proper channels.

--Agabus[/color][/b]

Yes, funny how we were just talking, and then suddenly you removed everything I said. All of which followed, btw.

Nothing to do about it now, except apologize.

If Scamandrius can boast that he is not subject to addictions, I feel that I can rightfully say that what I said followed.

Which nobody will see, or verify, because it's been removed, although I cannot remove my own comments.

Thus, the title, (removed - Mor).

Edited to remove profanity.  Mor Ephrem, section moderator.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:21:40 AM by Mor Ephrem »

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2016, 11:20:20 AM »

Considering that I'd just extended you grace with a private, non-punitive warning about general forum behavior only moments ago, and that we were communicating by PM as you posted this, consider yourself formally warned for publicly questioning moderation.

You also used profanity in the moderated forums. Fifteen points for you.

If you feel this is unfair, appeal through the proper channels.

--Agabus[/color][/b]

Yes, funny how we were just talking, and then suddenly you removed everything I said. All of which followed, btw.

Nothing to do about it now, except apologize.

If Scamandrius can boast that he is not subject to addictions, I feel that I can rightfully say that what I said followed.

Which nobody will see, or verify, because it's been removed, although I cannot remove my own comments.

Thus, the title, (removed - Mor).

mcarmichael,

Since you've been warned in the past for use of profanity, ad hominem, and gross disrespect of moderators and their legitimate directives, I am sure you realise your error here.  Therefore, I am adding an additional forty-five (45) points to your current warning. 

If you would like to appeal this decision, please PM me.

Mor Ephrem, section moderator
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:22:04 AM by Mor Ephrem »
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2016, 09:02:37 PM »
I apologize. I have a very poor temper.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2016, 01:13:52 AM »
From Antiochian.org (http://www.antiochian.org/node/17079):

The Orthodox Church calls Mary “immaculate,” and “all pure,” as a manifestation of the Orthodox understanding of salvation as deification. Orthodox Christians believe that through the grace of God Mary has been deified or made by grace what God is by nature or, as St. Paul wrote, “And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being changed into his likeness from one degree of glory to another …” Vladimir Lossky wrote, “ … the very heart of the Church, one of her most secret mysteries, her mystical center, her perfection already realized in a human person fully united to God, finding herself beyond the resurrection and the judgment. This person is Mary, the Mother of God.” Thus salvation for Orthodox theology is more than the forgiveness of sins or justification, but is also the transformation of the believer by the grace of God to become a partaker of the Divine Nature. Orthodox Christians see the realization of salvation in the deification of Mary.