Author Topic: When you're being hard on yourself.  (Read 636 times)

Raylight

When you're being hard on yourself.
« on: July 29, 2016, 03:09:54 AM »
I remember my priest saying to me once when I was very angry at myself for continuing to sin the same sin over and over and over, that God sees what I don't see, God knows what I don't know, God remembers what I may forgot. God sees me as a whole, not as who I'm when I commit the sin, but sees me in the light of my past, present, and future. He remembers the times when I fell to sin, but also the times when I stood up to sin and over came the temptation. Yes, God may not be pleased with what I just did, but not to the point that He would want to me to hate and punish myself and a build a wall of guilt between me and Him. I may failed this time, but God sees the times when I didn't fail. Therefore, God will not judge me based on this current moment, but on my life as a whole. So when I fall to sin and fall to the thoughts of anger, self loathing and despair, I should remember this.

This helped me a lot, and thinking that way actually made it easier for me to face temptation whenever I can.

What do you think?

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
Re: When you're being hard on yourself.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 05:51:22 AM »
I think it makes sense and is good advice.

sometimes I feel since I am not good enough, I avoid even praying or even thinking of it, "I am not worthy to even pray, God does not want to hear me in the way that I am", I think that advice can help avoid this from happening

EDIT

I suppose it is very weird to have such a thought as I expressed above.. As if prayer is the only line of "communication". Maybe it is part of my protestant upbringing as young. Just imagining "put your hands together and it is like a telephone to God!" If I take my hands apart and stop praying do I hang up? :)

Sometimes it is hard to contemplate that God knows all thoughts and knows what you want to say even if you cannot say it.

Sorry for going off topic with your post
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:54:15 AM by Gunnarr »
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Raylight

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 06:18:12 AM »
I think it makes sense and is good advice.

sometimes I feel since I am not good enough, I avoid even praying or even thinking of it, "I am not worthy to even pray, God does not want to hear me in the way that I am", I think that advice can help avoid this from happening

EDIT

I suppose it is very weird to have such a thought as I expressed above.. As if prayer is the only line of "communication". Maybe it is part of my protestant upbringing as young. Just imagining "put your hands together and it is like a telephone to God!" If I take my hands apart and stop praying do I hang up? :)

Sometimes it is hard to contemplate that God knows all thoughts and knows what you want to say even if you cannot say it.

Sorry for going off topic with your post

Actually this is one of the things I face too. I just stay away from praying because I say to myself that I'm "unclean" to even pray to God or touch the Bible. It is like how dare I go and stand before God after doing what I did. How dare I think that I can just talk to God and ask for his forgiveness after repeating the same sin I asked forgiveness for few days ago already. I believed it is a way of punishing myself, but the priest believes this is a lie the Devil puts it in my head, by making me feel that somehow I'm 'pious' by staying away from prayer as a punishment, that in a way I'm doing something good, I'm paying for the price of my sin. With time I came to know he is right, because several times that way of thinking lead me to commit even worse sins and to sometimes start doubting my faith and wonder if this whole thing of "sin" is real.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 09:31:27 AM »
Good advice. If you're too hard on yourself, then you risk losing faith or turning your anger against God. That's what I did at least. I used to be full on herp derp.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline FinnJames

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 01:34:34 PM »
Actually this is one of the things I face too. I just stay away from praying because I say to myself that I'm "unclean" to even pray to God or touch the Bible. It is like how dare I go and stand before God after doing what I did. How dare I think that I can just talk to God and ask for his forgiveness after repeating the same sin I asked forgiveness for few days ago already. I believed it is a way of punishing myself, but the priest believes this is a lie the Devil puts it in my head, by making me feel that somehow I'm 'pious' by staying away from prayer as a punishment, that in a way I'm doing something good, I'm paying for the price of my sin. With time I came to know he is right, because several times that way of thinking lead me to commit even worse sins and to sometimes start doubting my faith and wonder if this whole thing of "sin" is real.

When we offend or hurt a loved one or neighbour, we're told to ask their forgiveness though we may feel ashamed standing before them and they may not grant it. But as Christians we take the risk and do it anyway. How much easier it ought to be to stand before God asking His forgiveness when we know He will grant it if we only ask contritely and sincerely.