Author Topic: Would any clergy or theologians like to be my friend?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Would any clergy or theologians like to be my friend?
« on: July 07, 2016, 08:13:47 AM »
I am blessed to have friendships with several men of the cloth, and many other good friends, that I met through my old business and through the Admiralty fellowship group I set up.

However, one aspect of my present situation in caring for my mother is that I remain relatively isolated much of the time.  I would really like it if a priest or clergyman, Orthodox or not, or one of OCNet's members with substantial theological knowledge , might like to become one of my friends so I have an extra person on my list of people to have interesting conversations with regarding theology, the liturgy, church history and heresiology.

I don't like idle talk; with my "friends of the cloth" we generally talk about books we have read, saints monastic traditions, liturgical music, church history and so on, and I generally ask most of the questions; occasionally I will voice an opinion, and sometimes I am able to help my "hierofriends" with book reccommendations on a subject matter outside of their field of interest, music recommendations, questions relating to IT, and other areas, so our conversations are mutually edifying.

Unfortunately, at present, one of my friends is having some family issues taking most of his time and cannot talk much, another is under the weather, amd a third retired a few years back and is ... slowing down.

Lastly, I do have a spiritual father and confessor (I actually have had four and depending on my travels I confess to each of them, one is a Syriac Orthodox Priest, one is a Coptic priest and two are Coptic monks; in addition, I did go to an EO parish that let me confess and take the Eucharist, I have done that just twice, and generally I tend not to ask, but those two incidents were right after I became Orthodox and did not fully understand the schism; I didnt even know if I was allowed to take the Eucharist at other OO churches) and I am not looking to replace them.

To reiterate, you don't have to be Orthodox, although I always want more Orthodox clerical friends; you also don't have to be a cleric; if you have knowledge of theology, and an interest in Eastern or both Eastern and Western ecclesiastical history and traditions,  I would very much appreciate your friendship.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Would any clergy or theologians like to be my friend?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 02:02:13 PM »
Honestly, and I've thought about this before, OC.net should just add a dating section.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 02:03:40 PM »
Honestly, and I've thought about this before, OC.net should just add a dating section.

I don't think he's looking for a "date", though.
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: ELCA
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 03:35:35 PM »
Does helping a pastor with a sermon count as "theological knowledge"?

I am afraid my religious inclination and interests would be too different from yours, but I'd leave that for you to judge.  I am currently reading Justification: a Matter of Death and Life by Gerhard Forde (sadly unavailable on Kindle and the copy I have is rare and has horrible print).   A few weeks ago I read M. Scott Peck's Glimpses of the Devil and then Revising Old Scratch by Richard Beck.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:38:24 PM by Daedelus1138 »
"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."   - Martin Luther

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 06:45:17 AM »
+1
The biggest Serbian Orthodox forum, pouke.org, has one. And it tries to be more community of Orthodox (and people interested in Orthodoxy) believers, it has an active chat and various topics that make easy to make friends.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 11:28:33 AM »
+1
The biggest Serbian Orthodox forum, pouke.org, has one. And it tries to be more community of Orthodox (and people interested in Orthodoxy) believers, it has an active chat and various topics that make easy to make friends.

I agree, although Im not looking for a date, and indeed discussing theology even with someone as  appealing as my beloved psuedo/former/semi/intermittent fiancee would be a pretty boring date.  Going bowling, I can attest from experience, is a better date, and I hate bowling, but being dragged into a bowling alley by an Armenian American girlfriend to embarass myself with a series of gutterballs punctuated by one slash, was more fun I expect than a discussion even of liturgical theology and the history of the Alexandrian liturgical rite.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 06:02:18 PM »
+1

I agree, although Im not looking for a date, and indeed discussing theology even with someone as  appealing as my beloved psuedo/former/semi/intermittent fiancee would be a pretty boring date.  Going bowling, I can attest from experience, is a better date, and I hate bowling, but being dragged into a bowling alley by an Armenian American girlfriend to embarass myself with a series of gutterballs punctuated by one slash, was more fun I expect than a discussion even of liturgical theology and the history of the Alexandrian liturgical rite.
Sure, not always, but it's good that your "second hald" at least understands a bit in what you're intesterested or what you're talking about... And even sometimes discuss it a bit (as my father calls it 'Theology at the table"). As a relationship, and especially marriage, it's not only having a fun.
My simple test for it is if the guy knows who are Copts... Because in Polish "kopcić" (sounds very similar to "Copt") means "to smoke heavily", so if he says "those, who smoke heavily", he fails. I think that's a basical knowledge to be able get on well with me, and rather fair ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 06:32:48 PM »
+1

I've been away long enough that I thought you were still dating the woman married to the overseas Muslim man?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 09:51:37 PM »
I am blessed to have friendships with several men of the cloth, and many other good friends, that I met through my old business and through the Admiralty fellowship group I set up.

However, one aspect of my present situation in caring for my mother is that I remain relatively isolated much of the time.  I would really like it if a priest or clergyman, Orthodox or not, or one of OCNet's members with substantial theological knowledge , might like to become one of my friends so I have an extra person on my list of people to have interesting conversations with regarding theology, the liturgy, church history and heresiology.

I don't like idle talk; with my "friends of the cloth" we generally talk about books we have read, saints monastic traditions, liturgical music, church history and so on, and I generally ask most of the questions; occasionally I will voice an opinion, and sometimes I am able to help my "hierofriends" with book reccommendations on a subject matter outside of their field of interest, music recommendations, questions relating to IT, and other areas, so our conversations are mutually edifying.

Unfortunately, at present, one of my friends is having some family issues taking most of his time and cannot talk much, another is under the weather, amd a third retired a few years back and is ... slowing down.

Lastly, I do have a spiritual father and confessor (I actually have had four and depending on my travels I confess to each of them, one is a Syriac Orthodox Priest, one is a Coptic priest and two are Coptic monks; in addition, I did go to an EO parish that let me confess and take the Eucharist, I have done that just twice, and generally I tend not to ask, but those two incidents were right after I became Orthodox and did not fully understand the schism; I didnt even know if I was allowed to take the Eucharist at other OO churches) and I am not looking to replace them.

To reiterate, you don't have to be Orthodox, although I always want more Orthodox clerical friends; you also don't have to be a cleric; if you have knowledge of theology, and an interest in Eastern or both Eastern and Western ecclesiastical history and traditions,  I would very much appreciate your friendship.

me too.
sent from my iPhone.