Author Topic: OC.net and Eastern Orthodox in reality.  (Read 5284 times)

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • It a bird, it a plane, no it's Orthogringo!
  • Faith: Orthogringo
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
Re: OC.net and Eastern Orthodox in reality.
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »
As far as oc.net being representive of real life Orthodox Christians, mostly not.  Politics for example is rarely ever brought up at Coffee hour, and it rare to see debates about old Vs new Calendar, the fourth Ecumenical Council, etc during Coffee hour, most just talk about there jobs, kids, lives, hobbies, sports. Etc...

Anyways I can't help but wonder does the internet also make us different, than we are online?. I realized lately offline I'm  usually more shy and reserved, almost never engaging in debate, and way more polite. Then on here at times I become combative towards others, like I was rude towards Biro, and RayLight when I shouldn't have been  :(  Anyways anyone with more knowledge know if the internet make people more rude?

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2016, 11:20:27 AM »
(That's not to say that the sort of talking we do here is worthless, of course, but it would be a pity if any enquirer mistook orthodoxchristianity.net for Orthodoxy as a whole.)

Similar to when the weird guy shows up at coffee hour wanting to talk about essences and energies. Dude, get some potato salad and a piece of cake.  We're talking about motorcycles here.

+1 to this.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2016, 11:48:06 AM »
Most of the fanatics are probably in ROCOR ;)
or out in one of those "true orthodox" sects that have all of you under anathema because you're in communion with a bishop who's in communion with a bishop who's in communion with a bishop who once blessed some food when his archpriest's Papist brother-in-law was somewhere in the same county, and that is clearly STRICTLY FORBIDDEN BY THE CANONS that all Orthodox followed WITHOUT EXCEPTION until they changed the calendar because of the pan-heresy of ecumenism!!! ::) ::) ::)
I do admit to skewing fanatic though :(

I do not think Maria (GOC) was a fanatic, but she was needlessly persecuted here over and over again in regard to trivial issues. I do not think the issue is jurisdiction but one of sickening egoistic behavior.

Maria seemed to panic and think the sky was falling over the littlest things or weirdest conspiracy theories.  I think people just got tired of it and she brought "persecution" upon herself.  And I'd hardly call being made fun of "persecution".

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2016, 12:14:05 PM »
or out in one of those "true orthodox" sects that have all of you under anathema because you're in communion with a bishop who's in communion with a bishop who's in communion with a bishop who once blessed some food when his archpriest's Papist brother-in-law was somewhere in the same county, and that is clearly STRICTLY FORBIDDEN BY THE CANONS that all Orthodox followed WITHOUT EXCEPTION until they changed the calendar because of the pan-heresy of ecumenism!!! ::) ::) ::)

I do not think Maria (GOC) was a fanatic, but she was needlessly persecuted here over and over again in regard to trivial issues. I do not think the issue is jurisdiction but one of sickening egoistic behavior.

Maria seemed to panic and think the sky was falling over the littlest things or weirdest conspiracy theories.  I think people just got tired of it and she brought "persecution" upon herself.  And I'd hardly call being made fun of "persecution".

I think this is a bizarre statement to make Elisha.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2016, 12:40:15 PM »
Do you think the forum represents the mainstream Eastern Orthodox or do you think there are a lot of things still not represented or maybe misrepresented? Yes or no, and why?

I would highly caution anyone from developing an opinion about Orthodoxy from the posters/contents of this forum.  If you lurk and dig around long enough you can find information but many of the posters here treat the forum as what many forums are: a place to waste time, blow off steam, repost memes, gossip and gab, etc.  There isn't much effort to suppress numerous posters who have a murky, dubious connection to Orthodoxy. There is seldom a thread that isn't intentionally derailed by someone who wants to be amusing. Anyone inquiring into Orthodoxy should be intent on visiting parishes.

It would be nice if there was another "level" to this forum where people got out from behind the mask of anonymity were intent on behaving like a human being.

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2016, 02:04:42 PM »

I think this is a bizarre statement to make Elisha.

Opus, Maria is already happily married from what I know.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2016, 02:07:56 PM »
As far as oc.net being representive of real life Orthodox Christians, mostly not.  Politics for example is rarely ever brought up at Coffee hour, and it rare to see debates about old Vs new Calendar, the fourth Ecumenical Council, etc during Coffee hour, most just talk about there jobs, kids, lives, hobbies, sports. Etc...

Anyways I can't help but wonder does the internet also make us different, than we are online?. I realized lately offline I'm  usually more shy and reserved, almost never engaging in debate, and way more polite. Then on here at times I become combative towards others, like I was rude towards Biro, and RayLight when I shouldn't have been  :(  Anyways anyone with more knowledge know if the internet make people more rude?

Yes every person is more susceptible to conversations in internet and because they don't see him, he can do more wrong. So, maybe people are really more rude in internet.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2016, 02:42:37 PM »

Yes every person is more susceptible to conversations in internet and because they don't see him, he can do more wrong. So, maybe people are really more rude in internet.

Maybe we should all Skype, and we can see each other faces, instead of words on a forum. Then again, maybe not, wouldn't want to be chowing down, and burbing, grossing you all out on Skype  ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 02:46:03 PM by seekeroftruth777 »

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2016, 03:16:27 PM »

The Forum is actually composed of people who actively searched it out and joined.  These people joined because of something that caught their interest.

Perhaps they wished to learn more about Orthodoxy, or certain Traditions/traditions.

There's something our members all have in common....a desire to TALK and READ about Orthodoxy.

With that said...this is NOT a good representation of average parish life.  Most parishioners do not wish to talk or read about Orthodoxy.  Out of 200 families, there may be 10 that show a deeper interest in their Faith.

That's not to say they aren't "good" Orthodox faithful....they simply do not get lost in the small print.  They don't need to know which saint said what to whom when.  Nor do they wish to argue the calendar issue, or pews, or women's head coverings, or men's beards.

They simply wish to come to services, worship the Lord, partake of the sacraments, teach their children to love God, and move on with their lives.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2016, 03:36:03 PM »
What Liza said reminds me to clarify my own opinions: Not for a minute do I think OC.net is unique in its problems. All else being equal, OC.net is indeed Orthodox. The problems are general, characteristic of the internet of the last several years. I won't delve into what is causing them overall, as that's a very large subject.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2016, 05:50:23 PM »
If I may add to what Liza said, I bet if a group of people met face-to-face for the same purpose and subjects, there would be similar personalities.  We would have similar disagreements and "interesting" comments and questions.  Nevertheless, face-to-face would less likely lead to a contentious discussion than online.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2016, 12:54:27 AM »

?
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2016, 01:11:16 AM »

?

You don't need to promote her with wildly-poetic optimism. She's not a maiden you're trying to sell a match to. Probably everybody here has been thru the Maria-on-OC.net experience and aren't going to be susceptible to such obvious spin, anyway.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2016, 02:09:59 AM »

?

You don't need to promote her with wildly-poetic optimism. She's not a maiden you're trying to sell a match to. Probably everybody here has been thru the Maria-on-OC.net experience and aren't going to be susceptible to such obvious spin, anyway.

Thank you for responding. Let me see if I can get through this fantasy with a few sentences.

1) Maria was mocked in threads that she was not even participating in. That is persecution in my mind.

2) She has never attacked nor mocked me even though she knows that I am pro GMO, would never purchase organic anything unless it was cheaper (which is almost never), I go out of my way to buy bruised fruits and vegetables so that I can afford to have a plentiful supply of fruits and vegetables, and last but not least, have a positive view about Roman Catholics and Ecumenism. I do not have much in common with Maria but I do respect her.

3) Like both you and Elisha, there is an aura of hubris. You think you speak for the majority of people who read this forum because you think that the clique you see posting actually represents the majority of people who read posts in this forum. You have no ownership. You have no right to make these judgements and I think your judgement is faulty.

4) She has a right to her opinions even though you cannot convince her otherwise. The viability of marriages often are dependent on this attitude.

Question, because I do not know the answer: I know you have been attacked in the past unjustly, did Maria participate in that? I am trying to understand your response.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2016, 02:40:49 AM »
I am not "speaking for" anyone -- however, I am pretty certain that Maria's posting history speaks for itself. I won't pursue this any further -- it is just ridiculous at this point, and impolite to Maria -- but the things you were claiming about her and others were simply objectively outrageous.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2016, 07:56:14 PM »
I don't see mocking, or picking on people solves any problems, regardless if anyone agrees with Maria worldview, snarkiness does nothing but represent oc.net in a bad light. Not saying people were snarky now, just in the past towards certain folks like Maria.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2016, 08:56:42 PM »
I overlooked this postscript:

I know you have been attacked in the past unjustly, did Maria participate in that?

Maria attacked me constantly, not that I really paid attention, as her posts tended to be well out of the rhythm of any discussion, and as, after all, there are few she did not attack.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2016, 09:05:21 PM »

I know you have been attacked in the past unjustly, did Maria participate in that?

Maria attacked me constantly, not that I really paid attention, as her posts tended to be well out of the rhythm of any discussion, and as, after all, there are few she did not attack.

No excuse, if she attacked you personally, maybe we need a a timeout lock down of threads, when things get personal, and having the offending party apologize, so when your offended, things can be done before it gets too out of hand.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2016, 09:27:31 PM »

No excuse, if she attacked you personally, maybe we need a a timeout lock down of threads, when things get personal, and having the offending party apologize, so when your offended, things can be done before it gets too out of hand.

By "me" I also mean "my posts." Nothing like her wars with some others. Lots of cryptic quotes of my posts, in conversations she had not been active in, followed by "Lord, have mercy," or some brief scolding, or vague appeals to conspiracy, or, of course, the long anecdotes obviously mostly fabricated. We've all been in that position. I could hardly take it personally.

Altho there was the time she told me how she loathed my smile ...

Offline FinnJames

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2016, 12:59:28 AM »
I'll admit to being one of the people who misses having Maria around. I used to enjoy her astronomy/meteorology-related posts and smile at the many conspiracy-related ones. She struck me as a very earnest person whose heart was in the right place and sincerely wanted good for others. That was certainly the case in the one private post she sent me. But I'm not surprised her priest told her to leave this board. She was getting so much flack from so many posters that it must have taken its tole psychologically. Say what you will, the board has been a much duller place since she left.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2016, 01:04:43 AM »
I'm not surprised her priest told her to stop posting, either, as I am fairly certain she told him to tell her so.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2016, 01:23:22 PM »
I'll admit to being one of the people who misses having Maria around. I used to enjoy her astronomy/meteorology-related posts and smile at the many conspiracy-related ones. She struck me as a very earnest person whose heart was in the right place and sincerely wanted good for others. That was certainly the case in the one private post she sent me. But I'm not surprised her priest told her to leave this board. She was getting so much flack from so many posters that it must have taken its tole psychologically. Say what you will, the board has been a much duller place since she left.

+1
God bless!

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2016, 01:55:51 PM »
I'm not surprised her priest told her to stop posting, either, as I am fairly certain she told him to tell her so.

??? ???

Just to clarify the above emoticons...on what do you base that certainty?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:57:35 PM by J Michael »
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2016, 01:57:29 PM »

??? ???

Take your time.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2016, 01:59:33 PM »

??? ???

Take your time.

I am.  Thanks for your concern for senior citizens.

Just to clarify the emoticons...on what do you base your certainty?
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2016, 06:54:52 PM »

??? ???

Take your time.

Snacks.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2016, 07:23:54 PM »

??? ???

Take your time.

Snacks.

non gmo?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »

??? ???

Take your time.

Snacks.

non gmo?

Obviously.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2016, 01:20:44 PM »

??? ???

Take your time.

Snacks.

non gmo?

Obviously.

I suspected it was something of a highly esoteric and intellectual nature, but that it would be something as elevated as "snacks", and non-gmo ones at that, really just never crossed my mind  :o.  Porter is a one-of-a-kind, eh? ;D