Author Topic: Psalm 99:3  (Read 793 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Psalm 99:3
« on: June 17, 2016, 02:39:01 PM »
I need some help with an excerpt from the LXX. It says:

Quote from: Psalm 99:3
γνῶτε ὅτι κύριος αὐτός ἐστιν ὁ θεός αὐτὸς ἐποίησεν ἡμᾶς καὶ οὐχ ἡμεῖς λαὸς αὐτοῦ καὶ πρόβατα τῆς νομῆς αὐτοῦ
So, NETS translates the bold part as "It is he who made us, and not we; his people we are, and sheep of his pasture." Brenton, OSB/SAAS and Hebrew-based texts have it similar.

However, I suspect it conveys a different meaning, roughly "It is he who made us his people and sheep of his pasture, not we." This makes much more sense to me, but I'm not sure if it's a linguistically acceptable translation. Is it?

Edit: Nevermind, "laos" should be "laon" for my guess to be correct.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:56:43 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Alkis

• All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople
Re: Psalm 99:3
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:31:29 PM »
My dear someone made a mistake here. The original text says this "γνῶτε ὅτι Κύριος, αὐτός ἐστιν ὁ Θεὸς ἡμῶν, αὐτὸς ἐποίησεν ἡμᾶς καὶ οὐχ ἡμεῖς· ἡμεῖς δὲ λαὸς αὐτοῦ καὶ πρόβατα τῆς νομῆς αὐτοῦ."
So the translation of the hebrew text that you have posted agree with the greek text.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:31:48 PM by Alkis »
For You keep my lamp burning; Lord my God You illumine my darkness. (Psalm 17:29)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:09:09 PM »
I posted Rahlfs's version, you posted Apostoli Diakonia's. Now I've been using both, leaning often towards AD when both differ (not always: I have designed my own critical criteria, consulting Graber's, and sometimes other languages and the Fathers).
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Alkis

• All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »
I have the Holy Bible (Old and New Testament) in koine greek of the publications of "Adelfotis Theologon I Zoi". They use for Old Testament (Septuagint) the text of Tischendorf. Maybe there are different texts. I didn't know it. Publishers say in the intro that this version is the most exact and well edited.
For You keep my lamp burning; Lord my God You illumine my darkness. (Psalm 17:29)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 12:30:17 PM »
It's probably the same text as AD then. ;)

Offline Luka

• Faith: Catholic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »
Interestingly, the Masoretic Text says hû asanû wə-lô anahnû ammô, but while the main text spells lô as לא ('not') the suggested qere spelling is לו ('his' or 'for him'). Vulgate follows that correction and translates the text as ipse fecit nos et ipsius sumus populus eius. Rahlf's LXX seems to follow the Masoretic Text and slavishly translates לא as ουχ even though it doesn't make much sense. And precisely because it doesn't make sense in Greek, AD tries to fix it by adding a gloss - hence such a variety of versions.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 03:34:03 PM by Luka »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 03:43:38 PM »
I didn't see that coming, thanks for the insight!