Author Topic: Domains & Web Hosting  (Read 1033 times)

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Domains & Web Hosting
« on: June 14, 2016, 07:48:06 PM »
Can anyone with some tech knowledge suggest reliable and inexpensive sites for domains and web hosting service for a basic website? 

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: Domains & Web Hosting
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »
I do not know. This is a bump. Given its size and long track record, I would guess GoDaddy is realiable.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 04:55:47 AM »
Try squarespace. I used them briefly years ago for a website before it was taken out of my hands. Comes with lots of templates, and you can get your own domain through them as well. They advertise on lots of podcasts where you can get discount codes.
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 05:58:51 AM »
Can anyone with some tech knowledge suggest reliable and inexpensive sites for domains and web hosting service for a basic website?

I used to use GoDaddy.  I still use them for my domains, but they were very expensive. I used to run a high end managed hosting business, but I am fairly certain it would have been well out of your pricerange (the smallest customers we did were $100/mo accounts on managed dedicated servers), and I sold it to cover my fathers medical bills. 

Buy your domain name from someone other than your hosting provider; it is harder and more expensive, but you are less locked in.   Also, many hosting providers that sell domains are resellers.  It pays to shop around.  Avoid GoDaddy and Network Solutions.

You also have to consider what software you want on your basic website.   For most people, a blog platform is ideal.  Look at Blogger or Wordpress.com; Wordpress.com lets you use your own domain.

If you buy cheap shared hosting it will usually run Wordpress, but you have to install it, and that is the rub; it takes some skill at reading the manuals.  Some hosting providers give you very hands on support, some, like mine, do, or did, everything for you (that is why we charged such high rates; our typical client was $1200/mo or so, but these were very high traffic websites requiring complex engineering, which Ineither had to do, or pay someone else to do, and for which I also had to pay for running all the servers required to handle the load, which was a huge expense, so the profit margins were not stellar, but it was a living; hard work though).

You ahould find a local Linux User Group or other club of geeks to help you.  The Linux Users will try to put Linux on your laptop; this you should politely decline (unless you have a spare laptop with no important data on it collecting dust in a closet), but get their help in setting up your site on a cheap, shared hosting service, and presto.  They also will likely know the cheapest providers for what you are trying to do, and they tend to have cool toys.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 06:17:59 AM »
Wordpress is brilliant, even on their own free platform. Avoid Blogger - every time Google upgrades, it gets more and more bogged down with bloatware.

You can look into Wix or Weebly. They're both pretty basic, but you don't sound like that would be a problem.

EDIT: Pricing info!

http://www.websitetooltester.com/en/reviews/wix-review/prices/
https://www.weebly.com/uk/pricing
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:20:59 AM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 06:11:43 PM »
Wordpress is brilliant, even on their own free platform. Avoid Blogger - every time Google upgrades, it gets more and more bogged down with bloatware.

You can look into Wix or Weebly. They're both pretty basic, but you don't sound like that would be a problem.

EDIT: Pricing info!

http://www.websitetooltester.com/en/reviews/wix-review/prices/
https://www.weebly.com/uk/pricing

I mostly concur regarding Wordpress (although if you are self-hosting your blog, there are better, safer, simpler and more secure platforms, so hosted Wordpress on wordpress.com is fine, but running WordPress on your own shared hosting account on GoDaddy or whatever; not a great idea).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:13:16 PM by wgw »
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!