Author Topic: Eccumenical Council  (Read 1305 times)

Offline cossack 316

• Elder
Eccumenical Council
« on: June 08, 2016, 10:52:12 AM »
So now that Antioch has dropped out in addition to the Bulgarian church, this Council is merely a gathering of the heads of "Most" of the Orthodox Churches. Nothing will get accomplished because even if something is passed, it wont be passed unanimously. This is a good indicator that there is also no chance in H E double hockey sticks there will ever be unity in the Orthodox Churches here in the US. If Antioch wont attend because of a dispute over one parish with the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, then imagine the troubles here of All the ethnic parishes in the US uniting...a Greek Parish under a Serbian Bishop, a Bulgarian Parish under a Greek, etc etc. Sad but the truth. All of you Pan-Orthodox people out there that call for an end to ethnic, nationalistic parishes, you have the OCA and to a lesser extent ACROD and maybe the UOCUSA-EP as that is the direction they are heading.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Eccumenical Council
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 11:34:27 AM »
No council in history has had all the local Churches in attendance, and the overwhelming majority of councils have never been explicitly affirmed by all the local churches (in their entirety, anyway), even the ones called 'Ecumenical Councils.' Unanimity in religion is like falsifiability in science... it's a nice concept in theory, but not nearly as useful or reasonable in practice.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:35:18 AM by Asteriktos »
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 11:39:04 AM »
No council in history has had all the local Churches in attendance, and the overwhelming majority of councils have never been explicitly affirmed by all the local churches (in their entirety, anyway), even the ones called 'Ecumenical Councils.' Unanimity in religion is like falsifiability in science... it's a nice concept in theory, but not nearly as useful or reasonable in practice.

Well except when someone says 'even if you don't show up, the decisions are binding upon you'    ;)
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Bryan Paul

• Elder
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • Clueless Reader
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 11:40:01 AM »
All of you Pan-Orthodox people out there that call for an end to ethnic, nationalistic parishes . . .
You say that as if it's a bad thing.
. . . you have the OCA and to a lesser extent ACROD and maybe the UOCUSA-EP as that is the direction they are heading.
Glad I've hitched my wagon to the UOCUSA then (although I don't really see evidence of us becoming less ethnic or nationalistic in the short term).

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 11:57:33 AM »
In my view, the OCA probably has the best hope for becoming THE Orthodox Church in North America. I would also wager that it would have the capacities to facilitate the ethnic and liturgical concerns of all parishes under its jurisdiction. It would be difficult no doubt.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 12:51:38 PM »
In my view, the OCA probably has the best hope for becoming THE Orthodox Church in North America.

On paper it might look that way, but I don't think the unification, if it happens, will happen from one existing jurisdiction absorbing the others.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 01:33:14 PM »
All of you Pan-Orthodox people out there that call for an end to ethnic, nationalistic parishes . . .
You say that as if it's a bad thing.
. . . you have the OCA and to a lesser extent ACROD and maybe the UOCUSA-EP as that is the direction they are heading.
Glad I've hitched my wagon to the UOCUSA then (although I don't really see evidence of us becoming less ethnic or nationalistic in the short term).

I hope the UOCofUSA doesn't become less ethnic or nationalistic.  It is the perfect blend.

We have "Ukrainian" churches for those areas with a huge crowd of immigrants....and yet, we have a number of English speaking parishes, where Ukrainian is not the common language.  We also have parishes, where Spanish is used, and Romanian....all depending on the language of the faithful that attend the services.

We also have mission churches...that cater to the local community, bringing the good news to new areas.

We are a vibrant and dynamic jurisdiction.  While I am equally "at home" in any Orthodox Church, I prefer my own.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 08:45:51 PM »
I have heard so many definitions of "ecumenical":

1.  Attended by all local churches of the world
2.  Talks about Christology
3.  Infallible
4.  The Roman bishop has to be involved
5.  The Roman emperor has to be involved

When will there be an ecumenical council that dogmatically defines ecumenicity?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 08:48:44 PM »

3.  Infallible

There won't.  But we can send you a document that you won't like but we will agree to in your absence 
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 09:01:49 PM »
If you can even agree
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 09:02:40 PM »
If you can even agree

Doesn't matter....only one party needs to send the documents that you all have already agreed to and cannot be changed.

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 09:10:20 PM »
The ecumenical document!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 01:31:26 AM »

3.  Infallible

Italy doesn't have an emperor. Hasn't for a while.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.